Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Junior-year Mechanical Engineer. I get to build robots here: http://www.me.vt.edu/romela/RoMeLa/RoMeLa.html

It's pretty awesome in between studying for one of five tests I have in a 10-day time span.

However, I did my internship at a Fire Protection Engineering company, which had me talking to construction workers, architects and fire marshals, reading up on building and fire codes, working with AutoCAD on building plans, and going to all kinds of jobsites (The coolest was watching a smoke test of a prison cell block. Filled up the whole area with smoke, then let a series of huge fans rip to clear it out quickly. Most job-sites were construction/renovation sites. Office buildings, schools, government facilities.)

The only math I used was the Pythagorean theorem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

DerDestroyer posted:

EDIT: That being said this is purely written from an aerospace engineering perspective in Canada where we don't really have a demand for that sort of thing. In the United States it could be totally different.

I do want to know if there's much demand for Nuclear Engineers and the engineers involved in natural resource extraction. Anyway know anything about that? I'd imagine with the recent energy problems and just the fact that many Nuclear engineers are approach retirement that it's entirely possible there will be a serious demand for them soon.

In the US, Engineering is one of the most sought after majors. I don't know why Canada would be much different. All the engineers currently in industry are retiring and young engineers are being rapidly promoted. The guy who interviewed me for an internship last spring was no more than three years out of college at most and already in charge of programs.

Also, at the recent job fair on campus, the Westinghouse booth told me they were looking for nuclear engineers (as well as mechanical, electrical, etc) like mad due to the retiring of all the older engineers and the upcoming boom in nuclear plant construction.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Here at VT (for Mechanical Engineers and most others) it's

Calc I
Linear Algebra
Calc II
Vector Geometry
Multivariable Calc (Calc III)
Diff. Eq.
Statistics

For CS, EEs and Aerospace(I think) they have a few more required which I don't remember. My System Dynamics class is pretty much "Let's solve Diff. Eq. problems using a method totally different from your pure math classes that is more real-world applicable" so it sort of counts, but its an engineering course, not a math one.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Nihilanthic posted:

Confused student to be waiting on the January start at my CC for the AA (or first two years, whatever) - and I have some questions.

I've spent a LOT of time trying to convince myself to not want to do ME, but I really do. I've turned wrenches on cars since I was 12, I nerd out over Diesel Engines and I'm wondering if engines/reactors/whatnot is a good specialization - and if it honestly just sucks, what would be a good path to go with ME? I like nuts and bolts things and wish to work with them, I honestly don't care if I'm doing stuff with pipes carrying steam or oil for that matter. I was told HVAC is always in demand but 'boring'. I seriously doubt that but nevertheless anything I can nerd out over would interest me.

Also, I'm starting late in life. I'm 24 now, will be 25 just before I start, I have a few credit hours with a 2.0 GPA from when I was 18 and let myself be pushed to do school when I was honestly in no state to try to do much of anything. ~BAD THINGS~ happened out of my control to my family, lets just put it like that. Once that was dealt with I tried a trade, welding, but discovered its not for me as I am in fact a nerd and don't want to work long hours 7 days a week with people who make tea baggers look sane in a shipyard. More power to them but... I want benefits, a pension, good money without working 70 hour weeks, and not risk my life regularly.

I'm also claustrophobic. Like, I can be under deck in a frigate (FFG, if anyone knows navy ships) or something, but not in a tank the size of a few coffins lined up and separated by bulk heads into... coffin sized compartments to do weld repairs in. God that sucked.

Anyway, are those first few classes I barely drug myself through while dealing with BS years ago (I'm now 25) going to count or can they get factored out by the rest of my student career? I'm VERY, very serious about school now and really badly want to go, whereas prior I was just making myself go because I was told to, despite zero motivation to do anything but hide from the world or pretend it wasn't falling apart around me.

So yeah, what are good fields for a ME-to be to look for. How do I find internships with literally NO connections in this drat state, just bug people at school and go to the job fairs?

You say that you don't care about the pipes and steam and crap, but if you want to work with engines, then thermodynamics and fluid mechanics will be the two most important classes you will take. Sure looking up values in steam tables suck in thermo, but at the end of it, you can easily take a tech elective or twelve about all the engines you want. It's all very related and really loving cool (even if HVAC is kinda boring)

Good luck with the AA-route. You can usually cut some BS out of a degree by doing the basics (calc, chem, physics, etc) at one so when you transfer to a big engineering program you get put right into the cooler classes.

Not sure about AAs, but at regular engineering schools, there will be at least one job-fair per semester where companies pay crazy amounts of money to set a booth up at your school for a day. Talking to professors and volunteering for projects/research is also a good in.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

huhu posted:

I need some help with my mechanical engineering woes and I feel like in the next week or two I'm going to get ball rolling in the right direction but I'd just like any extra help from the engineering community at large. How do you guys deal with the feeling of being overwhelmed at times? I really don't have any engineering friends right now but I'm trying to work on that so I feel like that might be one outlet. PS I'm in my fourth semester of engineering and have been making good progress so it's not like I'm being overwhelmed by Calculus 2 or something like that.

Time-management is key. Make a schedule with everything you gotta do in the next few days and stick to it. I just had a week with 4 tests on top of the usual homework load. Did everything piece by piece and I didn't die at the end :) Having friends in your classes that you can bitch with and help each other out with homework is extremely useful.

Go to your TA's office hours as usually they're just grad students who'll pretty much show you how to exactly do something.

Find something to do outside of engineering classes! Join a club or exercise or something and get your mind off for an hour at least.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Stinkyhead posted:

Is it considered very necessary to take calculus in high school if one aspires to go into engineering?

I didn't and it really hasn't affected me. If you're a borderline in or out case for admissions obviously taking calculus is a huge plus, but once you're in chances are you'll just take the intro calc classes again anyway (and even if you don't have to you probably should).

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Scionix posted:

Also, as for the career fair business, I'm in the same boat (no technical experience, no super awesome high school background). Me and a group of people are going to the career fair tomorrow in Austin (biggest in the country), and the major thing that the people in engineering have told us is to just be confident, and be able to sell yourself. They told us having a "30 second commercial" is a good thing to have. I'm not really expecting to get a job or anything, I'm only going for the experience/to talk to recruiters, but I hope this helps anyway.

Get your rear end into some professor's lab and start volunteering. I literally just walked into a robotics lab here 3 years ago and now I can claim "Undergraduate Researcher - 2 Years" on my resume (and it got me into the lab's very competitive senior design project for this year). You can bet your degree that recruiters will ask you about that kind of stuff in the fairs and in interviews. Many of the questions in a couple full time job interviews I had just last week I was able to answer based on my experience from volunteering in the labs. Everything from technical stuff to people skills and teamwork.

It really helps a lot when I can point at a robot that was on the cover of popular science and tell the guy "I worked on that and can tell you all about what I've learned" rather than just say I took XYZ classes that 300 other dudes in my year also took.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

AnomalousBoners posted:

My school offers three senior year mech E class choices, is any employer going to care which I choose? Any reason to choose one over the other?

They are:
a. Energy Systems Option
EML 3101 Thermodynamics of Mechanical Sys 3 hrs
EML 4304C Thermo-fluids Measurements 2 hrs
EML 4703 Fluid Mechanics II 3 hrs
Restricted Mechanical Systems Elective 3 hrs
Approved Electives 8 hrs

b. Mechanical Systems Option
EMA 3012C Experimental Techniques in
Mechanics & Materials 3 hrs
EML 3262C Kinematics of Mechanisms 3 hrs
EML 3804C Digital Control in Mechatronics 3 hrs
Restricted Energy Systems Elective 3 hrs
Approved Electives 7 hrs

c. Materials Option
EMA 3012C Experimental Techniques in
Mechanics & Materials 3 hrs
EMA 3124 Structure & Properties of Alloys 3 hrs
EMA 4223 Deformation & Fracture of Materials 3 hrs
Restricted Mechanical Systems Elective 3 hrs
Approved Electives 7 hrs

How does an ME program not require you to take Thermo, Fluids, Deforms, etc in the first place? My senior year is pretty much all lab work and application-type courses. Sophomore and Junior year was when I did the nitty gritty stuff like endless amounts of thermo problems.

e: I guess if I had to choose it'd be A because a lot of employers looking for MEs want someone who understands pumps/heat/energy because pretty much everything that requires energy will require an ME designing something along those lines. But then you don't have a materials course that helps you decide what material to use or a deforms course to make sure you know how to calculate the material's breaking point.... weird.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 6, 2010

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Globofglob posted:

I'm having trouble deciding what major to pick when I go to college. I've narrowed it down to mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and biomedical engineering.

If I do Mechanical, it would probably be with a focus on biomechanical stuff. I'm wary of taking biomechanics as an actual major, due to job prospects. It seems to be a relatively new thing.

Same deal with Biomedical. This is if Biomechanical and mechanical don't turn out to be what I have in mind, I might go with this. I've herd bad things about employment prospects for these guys though, something about being a jack-of-a;; trades, master of none.

To give you guys an idea of what I'm looking for, I once saw a video of a dude who got a robot hand after his normal one was cut off due to cancer. It was connected with his nervous system, so he could move it like he would a normal hand, and he even had feeling in it. I know I'm probably not going to get in on such a high-level project in my future, but I'm wondering what field of study I would have to get into to do things of a similar, lower-scale nature.

Electrical Engineering is cause I had a teacher in high school that let us make our own circuitboards and do some cool poo poo. I made a TENS unit once, laser light boards, simple things. I want to make more cool poo poo in the future. I think I heard something about a device that shorted out all electronic/radio communications within 30 feet of it that someone made for a project in college, and I thought that was pretty cool.

What I'm asking from you guys is to tell me what these majors are really like. Are Biomechanics and Biomedical viable, or will I be poor and unemployed after college? Do electrical engineers really make lots of cool poo poo? Is mechanical better that either of the two biological options above.

Also appreciated would be college suggestions for the above programs, if you think your college is particularly mentionable. I already have a few picks of my own, but new info on that front is always welcome.

Do mechanical engineering for undergrad and do biomedical engineering in grad school. Maybe take biomedical tech electives if you can for undergrad, but I wouldn't specialize so much right up front.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Apple2o posted:

What engineering degree would have me NOT working in a cubicle?

I am finishing up the 'gen-eds' of engineering this semester (calc 3 / d.e. / physics / etc) and will start taking courses related to my degree very soon, but I am still on the edge as to what kind of engineering degree I actually want.

Preferably something outside, I am interested in civil engineering but have my doubts that a fresh college grad with a B.A. will be doing anything exciting.

Schlumberger was looking hard on my campus to send people to work on oil rigs or fields for a few years.

I'd say for your best shot at doing something outside a cubicle, Mechanical or Civil engineering are your safest bets. I'm mechanical and I ended up at an internship doing fire protection engineering work that had me on construction sites for half the work week, so the work is out there. Friends of mine are working in rail depots and robotics labs (which is what I'm doing in my senior year). Usually, younger engineers will be the ones outside doing the dirty work before being promoted indoors to run everything after a few years.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

thenickmix posted:

Any of you students or recent grads care to share your resumes? I'm a sophomore CmpE starting to hunt for a summer internship and feel like I have nothing to put on my resume. My only work experience are two meaningless work-study jobs (one from freshman year as a Chem Lab Assistant and the one I'm currently doing at the Library Circulation Desk) that I only work 6 hours a week for.

That Chem Lab assistant job could be a really good thing to put on a resume. It shows that some professor trusted you with (probably) expensive equipment and some degree of responsibility. I'd hammer on that one a lot, Employers like to see work outside of the classroom, especially as a sophomore. They know that you probably don't have much "real world" work experience yet.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Flyboy925 posted:

I am going back to school for chemical engineering and wiil be graduating in about 3 years. I have to retake some classes that didn't transfer. I am looking forward to after I graduate, and the job scene, but wondering where I can find info on the anticipated demand for Chemical engineers, especially in the Anchorage and Greater Seattle Area. I would think that the Refineries in the Anacortes area of the Puget Sound would be a great area to look for ChemE jobs, but couldn't really find any openings , or listings for that area.

TL;DR: where can I find info on expected demand for Chemical Engineers in a perticular region.

Going by my dad's work in the oil business as a chemE, he's always been "based" in an office somewhere and occasionally flies out to oversee a new process or startup or something. There's probably some jobs for chemE's at the refineries, but most are probably desk-type jobs at whatever research and development headquarters the company has.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Plinkey posted:

Somewhere around 60-70 would seem reasonable to me. (I'm in Baltimore and work between Baltimore an DC) so that's my basis.

A high entry level salary for the area is between 60-70, so peg that as your low point.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
One thing being a lawyer has probably prepared you for is insane amounts of work. The best engineering schools are no joke and many programs and professors actively weed students out during freshman and sophomore years.

I second the suggestion for reading journals. Pick up a copy of the ASME, IEEE, AIChE, etc, journals and see what new things are being developed and talked about.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
If you're still taking calc classes, you still have the meat of your engineering classes to go. For full time stuff, they'll only really care about your in major GPA, which you probably still have to build up.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Anyone looking for full time in the systems/mechanical/structural/naval/test engineering fields, General Dynamics Electric Boat is literally hiring 300 entry level engineers this year, just flew up yesterday and back today for an interview.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Plinkey posted:

I interviewed with them ~5 years ago when I graduated...and their facility was the most depressing place I've ever seen. I think about 30% of all offices/cubes were empty, looked neglected and hadn't been updated since the 60s. Is it any different now? I assume this is the Groton facility?

I'm pretty sure this was right around when the Government started buying half the subs they used to or something.

Yeah, groton. The building I interviewed in was one of those old ones, but it was completely full and busy. They just bought the old Pfizer hq across the river and are gonna be moving offices into there and out of some of the old buildings, so those are improving (albeit slowly).

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I'd say mechanical is a little above electrical, but both of those fields will probably have the widest array of jobs that are available to you.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I know two people who did/are doing the ME+EE route. The guy who finished his did it in 4 years and had a large amount of job offers before graduation. The other is probably going to continue onto grad school. Both double majored, didn't do a minor.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I have a 2.8 and I'm going to be starting grad school as a fully funded GRA this summer because I spent more time doing projects and undergraduate research than homework :downs:

(This semester I'm getting a 4.0 though, because all my grades are in classes that are 90% project work. Yay!)

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Cannister posted:

Anybody know about good places for a Computer Engineer to work in Massachusetts, Southern NH, or Northern CT? I've gotten nothing but radio silence from Intel for a week now and I want to keep looking. Looking to stay in Digital Design.

I hear the 128 corridor is the place to look in Mass - I don't know what's really there though, nor can you google "jobs along 128 corridor" so...

Dunno how much computer engineering is done on for a submarine, but General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton, CT is literally hiring hundreds of entry level engineers, maybe look in their posted listings. The three of us who interviewed with them on my senior design team all got job offers (we're all MEs though).

(But I'm staying in grad school :D)

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 15, 2011

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
If you're into control theory, you can definitely do that as an ME. We have entry level up to graduate level courses in controls in our ME department.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

huhu posted:

My semester GPAs go 2.7 1.2 2.4 2.6 3.0 and this semester I'm looking at a 3.5. I have no real chance of getting a 3.0 overall or something similar to what a lot of places seem to be asking for. Is there any suggestion to show my improvement?

Looks like you're a junior. What's your in major gpa look like? Use that instead and try and get in some lab work on the side you can fit into your resume. I have a sub 3.0 gpa and I turned down two job offers to continue as a fully funded grad student next year. I had 2 years of internship experience and 3 years of lab experience before I even started my senior design this year. It really helps to have actual things to talk about in an interview when you've been doing it for years already. Look into undergraduate research credit if your school offers it. It's an easy A (usually) and is more like real engineering than a lot of my classes. My volunteer work in the lab had me doing everything from CNC machining and programming to CAD to vision processing and lots of stuff in between.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
All I had entering as a freshman was Trigonometry. First calculus was first day of class in college :unsmith: I did well on my SATs and I had ok math grades in high school, so they didn't think I was unqualified to start with all the other freshmen who had calc already. We all got killed anyway on the first test.

Got a C, C+, and B+ in Calc I,II and III, respectively. I've probably done 10 things of actual calculus since then (not including watching the professor derive a much easier to use formula for a class using calc). I start graduate school in two weeks :)

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
A big thing is to ask lots of questions (within reason, don't start fishing for something if you totally cannot think of something relevant) but an intern candidate who is curious and asks questions about working there will always be liked more than the guy who just answers questions and sits there.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Passed the EIT :smug:

Yeah something like 98% of all ME grads from Virginia Tech pass it on their first try, I know. The worst part about the test was the drive in complete fog on I-81 at 6AM.

Still happy I wasn't one of those 2%.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Heli0s posted:

Not quite sure if this belongs in college advice or here, but I've read most of this thread and there's been tons of great advice so here goes.

I'm enrolled in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Texas at Austin, slotted to start in August. What I'd be interested in knowing from you guys is what are some things you'd wish you had known when you were just starting college? What would you do differently? What advice would you give beyond the normal get help/do homework/get internships/network/etc for a freshman engineering student at a competitive school?

Any non-engineering classes that are particularly useful? I enjoy writing and I work well when a project is team/group oriented (football captain) so I'm thinking about throwing in a debate class or something along with a few extra english courses, but I have a very limited number of electives available to slot in. :ohdear:

Also: what would you do if you had a summer to prepare beforehand? In particular any engineering/math/physics textbooks that were particularly helpful for self teaching beyond what I could find in the resource thread would be good.

One thing: I have had terrible math teachers for as long as I can remember and never was interested in it beyond 'passing the test,' which changed when I ended up skipping geometry/trig/precalculus to take an AP calculus class and discovered math is interesting. I aced the calc classes (differential and integral calculus), but I still feel that not having the math base is hurting me; so I'm going to re-teach myself basic math this summer and maybe move on into calc 3 from there.

Thanks in advance

Also: I might have scored a chance at an internship type deal with a friend who owns an engineering firm here in town for the summer, so fingers crossed.

If you aren't required to take a writing intensive class, take one (Technical Writing should be offered by your English dept). Knowing how to communicate is absolutely essential.

Use the career center that you probably have on campus. They'll help you with resumes and interviews and its likely free.

As a mechanical engineer, Wolfram Alpha is your friend. Always have a pencil and paper with you. Go to class. You won't use much calc after you get out of the calc only classes, but its good to know for understanding how some formulas are derived. If you aren't interested in being super ahead, I suggest retaking Calc from the beginning. A lot of people I know took Calc in high school and still retook it in college just because it was either an easy A and a good refresher or they realized they didn't learn poo poo in high school.

Also, use your professor's office hours. I really wish I went more often. If you can, start volunteering in labs that do research that interests you early. Its a great connection maker for getting a letter of recommendation from a professor later and you get to do cool stuff outside of classwork. If you find you're into more research stuff, its a great path into grad school. (Which is what I ended up doing.)

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I was a student club officer for 3 years and its one of the things I always talked about in interviews when they asked about teamwork/personnel management/"how do you solve an argument between two people" sort of questions. It's always good to be in a club unrelated to engineering to show you're a real life person and not a bookworm who can't talk to people outside of the lab.

(In my case, I was a photographer for my student paper.)

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
You may have to take a materials science course, but that's so far removed from basic chemistry you just really need to be able to look up definitions if needed.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Wickerman posted:

I'm currently a Chemistry undergrad student at Ohio State thinking about switching majors to Mining and Minerals Engineering. Unfortunately, OSU doesn't have a Mining and Minerals Engineering Program.

I'm curious, should I finish my chem undergrad then go to VT or another institution for a Mining and Minerals Engineering MS? Should I transfer?

VT is very good about answering transfer credit questions, I suggest contacting the Mining department and getting in touch with whoever is in charge of student class registration. The ME department person in charge was very good about letting you know what you needed and I can't imagine Mining is any different.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Ask lots of questions, no one will expect you to come in knowing how to do anything anyway.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Dead Pressed posted:

I just graduated from VT's MinE program in May.

Personally, I surpassed all of the prereq. for freshman by quite a bit, declared early decision, and was deferred to regular admission. No big deal, but that had me freaking out for a while.

If they don't accept you into the college of engineering, you can go undecided "university studies" until you're eligible to transfer into the college, and at least rack up some gen-ed/required classes. At VT, you can't declare into the exact discipline you want to study until your sophomore year (or 2nd semester if you make dean's list) so you'd be hitting up some gen ed classes then anyways.

Personally, I loved the MinE program and would 100% do it again. If you have ANY questions the department head is an amazing guy and would love to help you. Dr. Greg Adel - adel at vt dot edu

You can email me at pbauden at vt dot edu if you have any questions you think I might be able to answer.

To add to this, I did the University Studies -> Transfer into Engineering route (Mechanical), so if you have questions about that I'll be around.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Rhaegak posted:

Awesome, thanks. Sent him an e-mail with a few questions. So my main thing is preparing myself so I can get accepted, and since I have plenty of time to get whatever I can out of the way I'd rather do it now rather then waste more time when I get out.

When you apply for admission are you applying to the college itself and then have to apply to a program later, or do you apply directly to get into that specific program. I'm completely ignorant on how universities work.

At tech you apply to the university for admission directly into the college of engineering. If they decide your grades aren't good enough for engineering but are good enough for university studies, they'll put you in there instead. After your freshman year you'll transfer into the specific department you want to study (Mining, mechanical, whatever).

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

There's no longer any reason whatsoever to spend money on a graphing calculator. At home you can use WolframAlpha, or Mathematica if your school has a student license set up, which is leagues above anything a handheld calculator can do. If you need a fancy calculator to pass a test, you don't actually understand the material, and will probably bomb the test anyway.

I'd still be taking dynamics tests if I couldn't use the simultaneous equation solver on my ti89.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

MrBlandAverage posted:

I want to go to grad school. I feel like my BSEE gave me a good background in everything, but feeling stagnant at my current job has me thinking that I'd really like to go more in depth on the topics I'm interested in - modeling & embedded controls for electric machines. I have three years of work experience in this area.

However, my undergrad GPA sucks - it's a 2.74, if I'm not mistaken. There wasn't any trend, I just generally got mediocre grades because I didn't apply myself. I'm worried about how to show that I'm internally motivated now. I'm worried about recommendation letters - my boss will write me a glowing one but I need two more.

Ideally, I'd like to go to grad school in Colorado. CU Boulder is probably out of reach and Mines might be too but I'm hoping I can find a way into CSU Ft. Collins.

So, what the gently caress do I do? I'm already taking the GRE next week. One thing I've been thinking about a lot recently is just quitting my job, moving to the Denver area, finding a new job once I get there, and meanwhile taking non-degree graduate-level classes. Is this a stupid idea/career suicide?

This was my situation heading into grad school. I was lucky enough to want to go to the same school as my undergrad, so I was able to do undergrad research and get to know the professor I wanted to work under. When the time came, he pledged his support to the admin/admissions people. I have to take a semester of classes part time to "prove" that I can handle graduate work and then I can get accepted full time. I'm still getting paid as a GRA and everything so in the long run its not a giant hurdle, just extra steps.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Keep an eye out on your department listserv and definitely ask your professors before/after class. I guarantee they'll be helpful. Professors are always looking for suckers lab rats undergraduate researchers to help them or their grad students out. If you can think of a cool idea that could be a semester or two semester project, they sometimes can help you out by giving you the independent study credit and work space.

Also if aerospace has a student professional organization like ASME, hit up their meetings.

fake edit: Although since it's 3 days after the start of the semester, it might be too late to do research for credit by now. Still, ask your professors. You might still be able to start a project that you can list on your resume.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

plester1 posted:

Everyone I've ever talked to in both the academic and professional worlds says don't get suckered into paying for your own master's degree. Any company will pay for it if its relevant to your professional advancement.

Alternatively, if you're going the academic route, you should get funding through your adviser or department to pay for school as a GRA or GTA. I'm getting tuition and a stipend to do research.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
You'll have trouble working anywhere that requires security clearances, but a chemical engineer can work pretty much anywhere.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Echoing Dead Pressed above. The engineering department at Virginia Tech has their biggest engineering recruiting fair in September. I had a job offer in October as well that I ended up turning down, but it's never really too early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Lord Gaga posted:

Does anyone with a Mech E even get a P.E.? The only ones I know are professors.

I interned at a fire protection consulting firm which requires PEs (eventually) if you worked there full time. Most were ME grads but the PE was for Fire Protection Engineering. So, sort of.