Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Senior (in the "Super" Senior Program) Mining and Minerals Engineering student at Virginia Tech. I have experience in coal mining and aggregates (crushed stone). Its great if you want to move around the country/world, don't mind getting dirty, and want to see huge machinery. My internships have taken me to West Virginia, Ohio, and Virginia. Friends have gone as far west as Montana and Nevada for a few jobs.

Starting pay is pretty drat good. VT Mining averages about $68,000 fresh out. As an intern, I've gotten paid $21.88/hour with housing stipends. I've got friends who have gotten paid upwards of $27/hour with free housing. Job placement has been 100% for over a decade. Hell yeah.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
You can definitely get a job, but where are you looking (both location and industry-wise)?

You may not be interested, but mining corporations are somehow hiring, and may be worth looking into. Pay is great, you can live anywhere you want (dependent upon what mining industry you go into), and they have a use for M.E. just like anyone else. You might have to do some dogshit work for a little while, but its a start in an industry where you can move through the ranks quickly.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

Dangbe posted:

More Info:
I am specifically interested in alternate energy creation. So after doing a lot of reading today I was thinking Power/Mechanical Engineering...

edit: Does this sound more like something Environmental Engineering would cover?

Environmental Engineering is more like the clean up crew to the devastation a Mining Engineer would create. You'd be doing permits, reclaimation plans, that kind of thing. If you wanted to help CREATE alternate energies, I'd get into something like ME or EE. If you want to gently caress around with current energies, I'd get a degree in Mining and Minerals (sub for Petroleum) Engineering, EE, or Nuclear.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

Sammus posted:

Senior in VT's Mining and Minerals program on the Super Senior plan checking in! I started as an M.E. but finally said gently caress that after 3 years in it and switched to Mining. The pay, the 100% job placement, along with the fact that I've always wanted to blow poo poo up (and mining is 90% blowing poo poo up) were the biggest factors for influencing my decision.

In M.E. I wasn't even excited about getting an internship, but now that I'm in Mining I'm psyched. It's nice to have a pretty good idea what you'll be doing once you graduate, while you're still in school.

Austin? Haha, nice. There's like 4 Mining and Minerals engineers from VT on SA that I know of. That's a pretty flipping high ratio for such a small department.

Also, Mining is the shiz.

Shalinor posted:

Just don't list your GPA on your resume, and assuming you can't find any internships, do your damndest to work on projects relevant to engineering in your spare time that you can fluff up in some way during the applications process. If the company rejects your application for failing to list your GPA, chances are good they would have rejected it upon seeing your GPA regardless, but many will simply wait until an interview to ask - which at least gets your foot in the door.

The larger the company is, the more likely they are to look at your GPA - the smaller they are, the more likely it is that they won't care as much about that as plain what you can do. Thus, if your dream happens to be to work for a larger firm, just delay that with a few years of working in the field for some smaller group. Get that few years of experience, then poof, no one gives a poo poo about your GPA.

This. If its below about a 2.9, I would leave it off. You'd be surprised how many companies do forget to ask about it.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

CheerGrrl92 posted:

If I stick with mathematics I can finish a degree in a year and a half. I know a lot of you say that where you get your degree from and gpa only matter to the extent of getting your first job.. could I land myself a crappy engineering job with a mathematics degree and then use that experience to land me a decent engineering job if I were to show my worth? Or is that highly unlikely?

How much does your math degree deal with physics and electrical theory? I'd imagine it'd be hard to get a job as an EE anywhere if you've never learned the theory behind everything.

Also, you struggles with Calc, enough to not go into engineering, only to go into math?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

Corrupted posted:

What does Calc 5 cover?

Most I've seen is 3 semesters.

We have four at VT.
1-Derivative
2-Integral
3-Multivariable
4-Differential Equations

then we also take Linear Algebra and Vector Geometry, too.

Bean_ fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 29, 2009