Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heyniceperro
Mar 22, 2007

You're the one for me, fatty.
I graduated this past semester with an EE degree and now I work at a microwave engineering company. EE jobs will definitely vary with the industry and size of the company. Larger companies tend to put their engineers into specific roles while engineers at smaller companies do a wider range of jobs. Personally I spend about half my time at a desk looking over schematics and datasheets, programming microcontrollers/fpgas, whatever, and the other half of my time in a lab testing and debugging stuff that I or someone else has made.

I would totally recommend majoring in Engineering in college, especially if you live in the Northeast or West coast where most of the jobs seem to be. After I graduated, almost all of the people in my EE class found jobs while practically NONE of my non-engineer friends found work. They all went to grad school instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heyniceperro
Mar 22, 2007

Thread Killer posted:

Me and my girlfriend are both juniors in EE and currently are trying to find internships/co-ops for the summer. I think I have a decent shot at getting one because of an internship last summer, but she's really worried about not finding an internship which she equates with being able to find a job upon graduation.

Did anyone here find themselves in a similar situation and have some advice about finding a internship besides apply to anything in sight? Alternatively, how hard is it to find a job upon graduation without any previous internships? For the record, she has a GPA of 3.3

Your gf should have a ridiculously easy time as almost anywhere she applies will be looking for girls to diversify the engineering staff.

heyniceperro
Mar 22, 2007

Colmface posted:

I ended up getting an internship with ABB in Switzerland, which is really exciting. :)

...Except I don't know how to use MatLAB or LABView at all. =[ Does anyone have any books they'd recommend for learning either program, or will I be able to figure it out by following the tutorials that come with each program (and liberal use of the Help menu + internet)?

You'll be fine.. both have great in-program help and large internet communities. I learned labview from scratch when I started my job and it picked it up right away. Matlab is a little tougher if you're doing complex things but like I said the help and tutorials available are awesome.