Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
Anyone working as a Control, Automation or SCADA Engineer?

I'm currently studying Mechatronics/Robotics as a mature age student (3 years out of 6 done, I'm studying at 3/4 rate), after spending about 8 years programming AMX/Crestron control systems. (completed a Diploma of Programming (Visual Basic) after I finished high school)

How's the industry? I was hoping to get into some sort of infrastructure control (ie, water, wastewaster, maybe power -- although I think power might be better covered by EE's) when I graduate.

Anyway, got my last class for the year in just under 2 hours, should get back to studying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
What's the current industries perception of Mechatronic's graduates?

I'm halfway through my degree, hoping to move into some sort of control/scada/ instrumentation related position at the end of it.

The degree leans definately more towards the electrical/electronic, as opposed to mechanical. (ie, only got 1 pure mechanical subject in 2nd/3rd year, the rest is all electronics, control theory, AI, etc..)

I would like to hear any experiences of people with this degree. (especially in Australia)

cheers!

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007
Asked this many pages ago, didn't get a response so I thought I might give it another shot.

Anyone working as a Control/Automation/SCADA Engineer?

What's the job like? I'm interested in getting into the Water/Wastewater as a SCADA engineer, but I'm also interested in hearing what other sectors (ie, oil/gas, food/beverage, etc..) are like.

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007

40sTheme posted:

But to be honest, I really want to work with music more, and realize now that I don't care about how much money I make, I just want to do cool poo poo.

What area of music do you have in mind?

Almost all area's of music/audio engineering are pretty darn hard to break into. I work in an industry (Audio Visual Integration) that employs alot of ex-audio guys and the general feeling is that field is shrinking extremely fast.

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007

a handful of dust posted:

Has anyone here had any experience with ecological engineering? I was planning on enviro, but one of my professors suggested I look into it. It seems interesting, but there aren't a lot of programs for it yet, and majoring in something so broad and interdisciplinary makes me a bit nervous when it comes to job prospects.

Hmmm, never heard of that.

I would definately go with your gut instinct on this one. Get an Enviro Eng degree (or Civil/Enviro if you really want to maximize job oppurtunties) and if Ecological Eng looks like something you really want to do, just do a masters in it. Much safer career path.