Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frr
Dec 23, 2007

fissile material
I got a bachelors and masters in nuclear engineering, and now I work at a national lab. The pay is acceptable, my boss/coworkers are good people and its rock solid job security but I am not really happy with it.

Stuff like the picture on my avatar - never see it. Getting dressed up in PPE ("radiation suit") and going into hot area - nope. Almost anything remotely hands on is done by technicians in a different building. The following three pictures are the sort of thing that was sold to me by my academic cheerleaders:

This picture below is my reality. Just picture this scene every single day, only throw in some empty redbull cans. Its just me and microsoft word, excel and some other text based software such as MCNP.

I don't mean to sound too negative, but I am totally and completely unexcited about something I used to love, staring at a computer all day eats my soul. If I did not have so much student loan debt Id go back to school to do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frr
Dec 23, 2007

fissile material
Yeah, I'm on the lookout for something that may be a better fit since I spend 1/3 of my life working...