Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ApathyGifted posted:

I'm in the same boat, except I graduated last May.

There are WAY, WAY, WAY more entry level jobs out there now than there were 6 months ago.

So, don't worry, as soon as the people that graduated last May get their entry level jobs (oh, and the people that were laid off with 2+ years of experience get their jobs) you have some hope!

(Seriously though, it does appear to be getting much better slowly but surely)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pianist On Strike posted:

This is a fairly recent development, and when I called my dad to tell him about my plans, specifically that I was thinking about civil engineering, he basically said that it was a stupid idea and I'd be doing maintenance my entire life for $15/hr.

Your dad is wrong. Civil engineers get paid $30/hr to run around doing maintenance (er, taking concrete samples) for their entire life. CE co-ops get paid $15/hr to sit around in a company truck while browsing facebook over EDGE.

Why he made that civil engineers joke and then suggested you major in plumbing chemical engineering is beyond me though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Engibeard posted:

I am in Biomedical Engineering now. Let me just say this now. If you were hoping to get a co-op, you either better A) know someone in some company or B) have a drat good GPA. It is drat near impossible to get one. I have applied to about 10 companies in the last week for my next co-op this fall and not a single one has responded. Just for shits and giggles I applied to 2 companies in Japan and they both got back to me. They said no, but they were still courteous. :)

If you study engineering prepare to have no life.

And be good at math.

EDIT: And prepare to lurk on every forum ever created for answers to physics problems. Trust me. You will need them.

Biomedical engineering is probably the worst to get co-ops for. Why did you decide to major in that as (I'm assuming) an undergrad instead of electrical, mechanical or chemical engineering?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Engibeard posted:

Well gently caress me. That's not good to hear.

Amusingly, the (last) statistics (I saw) say that you have the highest probability of getting into med school by majoring in music performance. Remember, 1 acceptance for 1 application is a 100% acceptance rate for a major! (I guess if you can fulfill the crazy time sink that is music performance and your premed requirements you should do quite well in residency!)

Mr Crumbbley posted:

Well I just switched my major to Energy Engineering, so any one here have experience with it? It sounds interesting, but I don't know much about it. I switched to it because I couldn't get into Civil Engineering. I don't like that I'll have to be doing way more Chemistry and Thermo, but I guess that's the way it's gonna be.

To over simplify things; Chemistry, fluids and thermo is chemical engineering. Fluids, thermo and statics/dynamics is mechanical engineering. Chemistry, motors and electronics is EE (note: you will have to take upper division electives to get the "chemistry" you want here). What makes "Energy Engineering" special? Energy sounds like biomed at the undergrad level - completely aimless and hard to explain to someone making a hiring decision.

Hell, the "definition" of ME that is given to prospective freshmen at recruitment stuff sounds a lot like how I would define "Energy Engineering".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zo posted:

Not if that's all they're doing. That'd be a technical writer. You know, someone with a degree in liberal arts. It's also a complete dead end.

Engineering in a regulated environment (ie, medical stuff) is actually all writing.

That brings me to another point about biomedical engineering as a major. I have a BSEE and I build medical devices. I don't need to know a drat thing about medicine or biology (obviously I pick up some of it) because I work out a detailed requirements document with the MD or PhD that actually has a need for the product.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aerofallosov posted:

Is it a wise idea to do EE for a BSc then move on to nuclear power for an MS? I found out that there is a Nuclear Engineering degree in my area but it's only at the Master's Level and wasn't too sure which way to go.

I was under the impression that this was a very common route for nuclear engineers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rosebud posted:

Same here, I was hired for an internship doing aerospace computer programming, which magically turned into software verification the day I started it.

I was hired back after graduation by the same company to do aerospace computer programming, and it turned into 90% software verification. Fool me twice...

After getting laid off and not being able to find a job easily doing aerospace computer programming, I took a job doing software verification as a consultant and earn 40% more. I also appreciate the current company's honesty about what I would actually be doing.

In short, they have trouble finding people who actually want to do software testing, so if you are up for it make sure they pay you more.

As stated on the last page, and needs to be reiterated constantly, programming in a regulated environment such as aerospace or medicine is 99% paperwork, validation, etc and 1% coding. In not so regulated environments you might make it down to 90% paperwork and 10% coding!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

grover posted:

Programming in unregulated environment- when something needs coded and there's no money to contract it out and you're the only engineer in the office who knows how to do it- can be rather fun, though! 95% coding and 5% pushing out updates to everyone.

I actually enjoy programming and am quite good at it, but I hate programming professionally. It's always boring poo poo, database access and stuff like that. Way more fun to do it as a hobby.

You don't have management causing you to waste 90% of your time with paperwork, status meetings and the like? And you work for the Navy?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seo posted:

CompE student here. Have done what is essentially my first 2 years of the degree without touching matlab and I'm not sure if we're ever going to get to it. Would it be worth my time to learn it for the job market?

What do you want to do?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seo posted:

be a billionaire... so freaking bad...

but really. what I want to do is design but what I will be doing is probably programming until I do graduate school

But designing what? In all likelihood, Verilog/VHDL would be far more useful. MATLAB is for math and is used in research. If you want to go into test, picking up some LabVIEW might not be a bad idea. Having exposure to everything aforementioned isn't a bad idea.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 16, 2010

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BeefofAges posted:

You'd be surprised. MATLAB is heavily used for simulations and such in industry.

Which would fall under (private sector) research, correct? Regardless, I would think a CompE's time would be better spent on learning more VHDL. MATLAB isn't really that hard to learn so long as you know math and C (or FORTRAN, for bonus points).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Forever Zero posted:

I have a question, I can't decide if I would rather go into medicine or Engineering. Math kicked my rear end at first, but someone told me that the classes get somewhat easier the higher you go because they aren't "weed out" courses anymore, also, which one is better for job opportunities?

Do engineering then a MD-PhD program for complete insanity.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ostiosis posted:

I enrolled in an Electrical Engineering course at Vermont Tech, and just found out it's accredited differently from regular colleges (ABET-TAC instead of ABET-EAC) and am wondering what the difference is and if anyone has transfered credits between the two before.

Looking it up, Vermont Tech only offers technology programs. You are not in a program to become an engineer, and your credits will not transfer to a degree granting one beyond the normal math, sciences, etc requirements.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ostiosis posted:

They said they are doing a four year program starting next year and I am a freshman. I don't really know what the degree is for if it's not EE.

Its a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology and accredited as such. Its a technician degree, not an engineer's degree.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vivek posted:

Not all engineers are licensed.

And not all countries allow you to call yourself an engineer without being licensed. Canada is a bitch about it for example.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seo posted:

This... but 8 years of school just to get entry level means we should be paid like doctors right?

Anyways I'm just hoping for a nice job that will shell out for grad school

Actually, 4 years of undergrad and 4 years of med school qualifies you to work 60+ hours a week for $40k a year. Now, the question is how to get out of residency!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Taking an extra year to actually do an internship lined up is a great idea.

Taking a year off and hoping you might stumble into one is not so much of a great idea.

If you can't find an internship, find something to do. I'm sure that some lab on campus has use for someone with mechanical experience. There is a lot of research that involves some sort of custom design and some of it is even directly related to environmental studies.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thoguh posted:

You'll have to do things that you think are "busy work" all the time in your professional life as well. Part of being an engineer is sucking it up and putting in your time doing the crap work until you get enough experience and seniority to do the fun stuff.

I would go a little further and say that the overwhelming majority of your job in the real world will be "busy work". Of course, I'm in biomed right now.

Speaking of which, for that biomedical engineering curriculum to be more representative of my experience it needs to be all courses about safety engineering, project management, and regulation. Figuring out what the hell the MDs are talking about seems to be covered at least.

I get a kick of a 3 hour "Engineering Entrepreneurship" class as a core requirement. I'm hoping thats a fancy title for "general business sense for engineers" (ie, "This is a 1099-MISC, get used to seeing them and writing checks to the IRS")

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NomNomNom posted:

Dude then you aren't looking hard enough or aren't willing to consider a position elsewhere in the country. I've had recruiters begging me to drum up some EE's for them to interview. Who were these recruiters? Northrop Grumman, Lockheed, Bath Iron Works. The defense industry in general needs you guys.

Edit: Really, what year are you and what's your GPA?

Yes, many large companies seem to be desperate for people with 10 years of experience in several disparate fields that will work for $45k. They sure aren't considering recent graduates for jobs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

If you go to the university I think you do (There is only three that actually use that term) it helps that they have an entire staff dedicated to help students find jobs. Before the economy crashed Northeastern University had a ridiculously high placement rate for CO-OP jobs. It was in the high nineties and even then I don't think it dropped drastically in that time period.

Use what term, co-op? Every engineering school uses that term these days.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

luvs2Bgraded posted:

Why are there so many people in this thread who are either alumni or are currently attending Colorado School of Mines?

I bet we have plenty of Harvey Mudd and Rose-Hulman grads on this board too. I think that rounds out the top 10 engineering schools that nobody has ever heard of list...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pfirti86 posted:

Who hasn't heard of Cooper Union? It's a pretty well-known school among at least us academics.

Olin is one that's somewhat more obscure.

Olin gets a bunch of press every once in a while in the trade magazines about how its the future of engineering schools with its project based curriculum, yadda, yadda.

Doesn't give free tuition with its massive endowment like Cooper does. Free tuition in a very highly ranked school in NYC? Sounds good to me. (and everyone else that knows about it, so they're insanely selective)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Safe and Secure! posted:

So when your employer is willing to pay for you to continue your education at the masters level, don't you still have to worry about getting accepted into masters programs? Isn't that still difficult? Or is graduate school easy to get into when you're not applying for a PhD-track position?

Like if the only school in your area has some steep entry-requirements, you're not getting a masters even if your employer would pay for it, right?

Define steep entry requirements. Are these at the department, college or university level? I would dare say the former two will be overridden almost automatically for any professional engineering masters student. You can't get away from a school's base graduate entry requirements which are related to their accreditation but thats nothing a short postbacc can't take care of.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flux_core posted:

What a math major learns is often times useless to an engineer. What does an engineer care of proofs, anyway?

Academics, especially in some computer/electrical subfields.

Safe and Secure! posted:

I was talking to a professor at my school and he mentioned that he regretted taking a topology course with one professor when he was in graduate school, when he could have taken it with someone who was really well-known in that field and, IIRC, an excellent teacher. That made me realize that there may actually be quality difference between schools at the graduate level.

Odds are every large department has a world renown expert in something. Thats why if you're looking at a PhD you should look at advisers instead of just schools.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flux_core posted:

I just saw "Software Architect" as a job title.

How the hell do you weed through what these stupid terms mean, anyway? It seems a lot of this comes down to how good you are at talking your way into things with the interviewing manager of if they like the cut of your jib more than anything else.

You've never seen that before? Its supposed to be one step above "grunt" programmer and includes more design responsibilities. The logic is that you the architect designs the more abstract methods and decides on what application framework to use and such like things while a programmer does the actual implementation. Like when designing a building, an architect decides what it'll look like and an engineer figures out how to get it to actually stand up, where to run plumbing and the like.

Explanation aside, its kind of a silly title, but its increasingly common.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seo posted:

has anyone here done a masters in EE from a BS in CpE? If so what's the catchup like?

Computer engineering is electrical engineering. There shouldn't any at all. You'll be weak on EM, but so will everyone else

That is, unless your undergrad school isn't an ABET CpE program.

flux_core posted:

Does anyone have a breakdown of the various titles from "architecht" to "monkey"?

Bleh. I haven't been around anyone to give me a low-down of the various titles for levels of experience or responsibility.

Titles are meaningless. Especially in small companies when you can be a CTO in charge of only yourself.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 29, 2010

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AnomalousBoners posted:

Most internships require you to be in your junior year at major companies. That means Calc, Diff Eq, Statics and Dynamics if you're a Mech E. I am in my sophomore year and have had internships at smaller companies but Lockheed basically wont talk to you if you aren't at a four year university and in your junior year.

And on the other hand, alternating semester co-ops can take you as early as after your freshman year.

It never hurts to start looking early and your college likely has a few people on staff full time to help out with this stuff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flux_core posted:

My CC basically says "Heh, wait until you get to the University we're joined at the hip to.", though we've started an "Engineering Student's Society." I'll just have to keep looking until someone shuts me up by giving me something :downs:

Know how to code? You can get some good experience by going up to professors and saying "Will write C++/perl/MATLAB for pocket change"

Now, people in business may not put much weight in that experience, but its something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plinkey posted:

Go talk to the astro-physics guys. They are always looking for people that can code, and that would stand out to me if I was looking at someone's resume.

You'd think it sounds impressive but it didn't seem to help my resume. I worked in astrophysics, biology, health sciences and EE as an undergrad.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plinkey posted:

I wrote software for farm equipment and managed to get a job right out of school...I guess it really is a crap shoot.

See, but that is a "real" job.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flux_core posted:

Community College tends to peak at "Statics" or "doing IT's job for them", at least the one I go to.

"Doing IT's job for them" is what we were referring to. The sciences need lots of computer support and while plenty of Physics PhDs are competent programmers there are a lot more that aren't or who don't have the time to manage databases, SVN repositories, Windows domains and the like.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

This is kind of off-topic but I figured this would be the best place to ask since there's actually people in here involved in hiring interns/engineers. Is it important to have a suit to wear to interviews for internships or will a nice dress shirt, tie, and khakis be good enough? I'm hesitant to spend money on a suit because at this point I could only afford a poor quality one that wouldn't fit me well, and I would probably only use it a few times only until I could afford a better one.

Yes, wear a drat suit. Engineers have this lovely reputation of being unable to comply with social norms. This is not a good thing in a business environment, so do what you're supposed to do for an interview so as not to give off that impression. You wear a suit to a corporate interview. Period.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AnomalousBoners posted:

I have met several mechanics that have engineer in their title and no knowledge of calculus. I don't know that I have met an engineer by the modern use of the word that I would ever mistake for a real engineer.

Also, buildings often have "engineering" which is just maintenance.

CapnBoomstick posted:

So how do you guys (traditional engineers?) feel about software engineering? Do you consider it to be actual engineering? Do you you consider to be a potential field of engineering but think that it's not there yet? Do you think licensing should be required to be a software engineer?

I'm a software engineer because I have a BSEE and using a title like "programmer" is below my pay grade. :smug:

On a serious note, licensing is not require for most engineers and outside of construction and public sector type stuff (think utilities) its rare to see a PE. As far as licensing in general, you want your structural engineers licensed for the same reason your doctors licensed. Actually, its arguably more important for engineers as when a bridge collapses it generally takes out more than one person...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seo posted:

I'm in a CpE program and I took a look at the FE requirements for EE today. Has sections like inorganic/organic chemistry, fluid dynamics, etc which we never covered. I also found a statistic that claimed only 52% of CpEs pass the FE the first time.

Anyways, you call everyone with a PhD a Doctor, but you [most often] wouldn't go to them for medical advise. The title doesn't matter as long as you can back up your skills. Some of the best software engineers don't have a computer-related degree.

The FE does not penalize for guessing. I passed and literally put down "B" for the entire mechanics section neglecting one question that was basically "If Jimmy dropped a basketball from 4m, how long does it take to hit the ground?". So long as you ace your "home" sections and get the "simple" ones from a few sections you should pass the exam.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seo posted:

do abet schools have a transfer policy?

You'll have to be more specific. If you're transferring between public state universities in the same state there may actually be a matrix.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cicero posted:

The text looks aliased, isn't there a way to smooth the edges? Other than that it looks fine I think.

jpg compression artifacts?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soldering is a good skill to have as an EE.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flux_core posted:

Soldering is something I could do in my sleep right now.

I should TIG weld a circuit sometime, but I'm unsure if it would be safe for the components. Is it possible to structure and ground the welding circuit that way?

Something tells me a HF-TIG start would probably gently caress up everything with induction, but again I don't know exactly.

Discrete transistors wouldn't like a huge spark like the discharge from a TIG setup, nevermind a logic chip. Can you solder SMDs like say a QFP? Pain in the rear end, but a good skill to have if/when China fucks up a couple boards.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, we even had one guy in my old group who had a bullshit degree in "Counter-Terrorism" or something like that, but he got hired (just as he was leaving the Air Force) on with the condition that he started working towards an engineering degree (paid for by the company). That would have never happened in a million years to a non former military guy.

These people have TS clearance, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

drat. My senior seminar prof claimed that was the fact, I accepted it as truth. Thanks for the clarification. :eng99:

Was he talking about grad school? As in, "even a MS from MIT isn't ABET accredited"?