Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

grover posted:

Pivot tables in excel are amazingly powerful. You can do a surprising amount of complicated logic routines and indirect table references without macros, too.

You can probably write an entire OS in a single line of perl, that doesn't make it a good idea. ;)

Now that I haven't done some crazy things in excel myself.. wouldn't most people laugh at seeing that on a resume though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

*goes back to doing PCB trace length checking in Excel*

Thats far worse than doing load flow analysis in excel. I guess I'm just spoiled by having a matlab license...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aluminum Record posted:

Yeah I don't know what engineering school is like in your country, but this got you a D, max in the US. Most would (and do) fail out.

That said, a few semesters will really wreck your perceptions of time...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

2banks1swap.avi posted:

The point I was making is many engineering fields are projected to suck for growth and are right now lovely too.

This is why everyone should learn some C if they can.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Safe and Secure! posted:

They haven't posted it yet. Would it be wrong to assume by your question that this sounds weird to you?

One big question: Does ABET/EAC accredit it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ch3cooh posted:

To be fair that's the new Pason display that launched just a couple weeks ago. This is the familiar Pason screen that hadn't changed in nearly a decade.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :smug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

2banks1swap.avi posted:

What distinguishes a computer engineer with a software focus, and a software engineer, anyway?

In my area, I've see a SE degree offered as a masters, and a CEN(software) degree as a Bachelor's. I've also seen CS as a bachelor's offered all over the place.

It seems to me that it has to do with how many courses have to do with actual programming experience, versus understanding how computers at the "metal layer", versus understanding algorithms and computability theory.

Am I correct?

What would employers care about more, anyway? CoC seems to emphasize that anyone who can program competently at all will find work, but since I am going to school I might as well make the most of my education.

I hate to put it simply, but a software engineering curriculum is about building software with just enough hardware to know how to make your software work. Computer engineering is about actually designing computer hardware with just enough software knowledge to know what your hardware needs to do.

In practice a lot more coders are needed than ASIC designers so you get computer engineers moving into software as they've taken courses in that area too.

As for what employers are about more; do you want to do VHDL at Intel, design embedded systems built around microcontrollers/FPGAs, or write high level application code?

All that said, I have a BSEE and am a software engineer at the moment so... (The software is all signal processing though)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hed posted:

Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to illustrate how RPN can be useful.

Now do vi vs emacs.

Fake edit: Or indent style.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

2banks1swap.avi posted:

ATI here :gonk:

Then you do pure OpenCL, as long as you have something from the last two generations its fine. Well, relatively, AMD is definitely behind nVidia on the entire stability and not yanking the carpet out from under you thing...

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I also remember such daydreaming as "Man, I bet a 256-bit cpu would be better than a 32 bit that was 8 times as fast," even though it does't turn out that way.

Well, sandy bridge does have 256 bit registers... and you do get to do 8 operations on 32 bit data at a time... (this is so you can deplete your cache that much faster!)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Right.

Now how the hell do you get a compiler to really take advantage of that in most cases?

What cases would that help in anyway?

Any time you want to do an operation on every element of a large array.

You don't need a compiler to take advantage of it automatically, SSE primitives aren't hard to use and if you don't feel like doing that there are packages like Intel's IPP that have done all that work for you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bronze posted:

More questions from the confused business graduate:

How much does eng. school rank play into job prospects? Obviously, all else being equal, getting a degree from a better school will give you more options but is there a ranking line which I dare not cross? Top 10, 20, 30, ...?

I may be biased, but from what I've heard past the top 10-20 an ABET accredited degree is roughly the same. This isn't like law school.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was forwarded this article about Bob Lutz's new book (automotive exec) and how GM's downfall can be connected to the rise of MBAs/finance background people rising to the top of the company instead of those with engineering backgrounds.

Think there will be a backlash against the MBAs or are we forever doomed? I fear I won't be able to work in an engineer run startup forever...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RogueLemming posted:

If you can't understand why someone would forgo a small paycheck now in order to make themselves a better engineer and earn a much larger paycheck later, then your job will probably be threatened multiple times in your career.

You're not much of an engineer if you can't get paid by some lab on campus to do something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evensevenone posted:

Isn't it just assumed that anyone in QA wants to move out of QA?

He said he was an intern; what interns aren't basically doing QA?

The real question is how good his programming skills are.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BeefofAges posted:

Ti-83+?

These are kind of a pain in the rear end to use if you're an EE; they can't handle complex matrices. My Ti-89 was a real life saver in circuits for that reason.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BeefofAges posted:

Weird. My Ti-83+ served me well in my CSE classes. Anything it couldn't handle I just did in MATLAB or Mathematica.

I only really found it critical for AC circuits. Its incredibly useful everywhere it was allowed.

Don't use symbolic integration in a calculus class though, except to check your work and even then, check to see if it returned an equivalent form.

Oh, one last Ti-89 tip, in a physical science class get in the habit of putting units in with everything.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ValhallaSmith posted:

Why the hell is TI still the go to calculator? They have to be way overpriced now. I'm surprised there isn't a common web app out there now. I'd much rather have something like a nook color with CAS for nearly the same amount. Or an ipod touch for 100$ more.

Good luck getting a professor to let you use one of those on a test.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

If you need a fancy calculator to pass a test, you don't actually understand the material, and will probably bomb the test anyway.

Its much easier to a write a test if you assume that the students have a calculator. In engineering things sometimes can't be pretty.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

Actual maths classes at my uni forbid calculators (that is, all the calculus/linear algebra stuff) or only allowed basic, non-programmable 'dumb' calculators.

This of course is quite reasonable. Even where advanced calculators were allowed in math classes I found that they really just got in the way. Mathematicians seem to be pretty good at designing tests that don't require calculators.

I do remember one math class that allowed calculators on exams - Numerical Methods. It was a trap. :)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bluebottle posted:

I think most grad schools say they want at least a 3.0 gpa, but at the same time it's the EE department that would really be admitting you (and hopefully paying you) so they'll probably have some flexibility there. If you can do well on the GRE it helps obviously.

One issue is that you may need to get admitted to a dept and meet the graduate school's overall requirements. Thus, there is some sort of global GPA and GRE requirement at each school. This is often somewhere in the 2.75 region for GPA.

There are ways around this though, options include being admitted on the condition that you do so well the first semester or requiring a postbacc.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shoren posted:

(PS once you get an interview make sure you send a thank you email to the interviewer within 24 hours. I've been told it makes or breaks job offers)

Its funny how I thought this until I was involved in a hiring process. Though - do HR people care?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

T.H.E. Rock posted:

I'm kind of surprised that companies would hire engineers for tech jobs. Personally, I'd be looking to leave as soon as an engineering position came up/I could tick the "1 year experience" box, and I assume most other recent graduates would feel the same way.

I'm curious, what kind of technician's jobs are we talking about here? I've only worked in the world of startups, where everyone has to do a bit of everything.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There is no reason to get a PE unless you actually need to stamp stuff and have work paying for your continuing education and so forth.

There is also no reason to not take the FE exam - you can take the PE any time in the future after you've passed the first one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shipon posted:

Isn't that only true for CompSci or CompE?

Anyone that builds a physical product (that includes Facebook, Apple and Google) will have mechanical engineers.

Well. They can contract it out. But thats still a job that would be in northern california.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

(Effectively) all ABET accredited undergrad programs are the same, don't worry too much about where you go.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solid works is for mechanical design. Having a skilled (firmware?) programmer or electrical designer doing a bunch of mechanical design is a major waste of resources.

That said, it is kinda cool to build your own stuff as either a hobby or at an early stage startup (possibly your own). Also there's obviously programmers that know that stuff, someone writes CAD software after all. I wouldn't spend time focusing on it.

As far as perl goes... I'd play with at least one or two scripting languages in addition to C/C++/Java, your make files aren't going to compile themselves... If you know those languages you should be able to quickly see what's going on in perl, Python or another p-Lang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Uncle Jam posted:

At least check the people at the university who teach Calc I and II, at mine they were taught by a rotating door of visiting scholars who had very little in the way of English skills. I think in some cases you can get better instructors at CC level for these lower level classes.

At the CC you'll get a rotating door of adjuncts that are severely depressed over the lack of tenure track jobs for PhDs.