Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I was an electrical technician for two years before I went to college, and now I'm a second year EE student. As a technician I worked on industrial motor installations, repairs, maintenance, ventilation systems, and some HVAC repair stuff. Loved it but it was more of a monkey see monkey do on the job training that I used every day. Not saying that stuff was easy but the level of understanding is completely different from say doing analysis on 3 phase circuits on paper.

I didn't try hard in high school but did take Calc I and got a bad grade. When I came to college I found the math intimidating but I think my mature attitude towards studying since high school is what really helps me today.

If you bust your rear end and truly appreciate the material then you will be fine. Don't give up on something you have not tried yet. I was seriously considering switching majors when I was taking a course in Differential equations but none of my EEs classes are as in depth as my diffeqs class was. The math in my EE classes are more to the point and practical, less of the crazy diffeqs stuff that I thought I would have to know and use everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

El Kabong posted:

Discipline.

People who put in the hardwork will always have a shot, whereas a genius that is lazy will face unforeseen obstacles. Your professors will notice too.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Colmface posted:

So, I have a question for the nuclear engineers out there.

I'm in my third year of studying EE and after third year, the school lets us go on an internship for 12-16 months. I'm really interested in working in power and specifically, in working with nuclear power. What're the chances that I could get an internship with a company that deals with nuclear power (either at the plant itself or with distributing the power)? I live in Canada, but I'm willing to travel.

I guess part of the problem is there's no specific stream for nuclear engineers at my school, and the EE path only dabbles in power electronics until the third year. I'm going to be taking a course on energy systems next semester, but that's all I'll really have under my belt except for a few circuits courses, numerical methods and a statistics class. Would I have a shot at an internship, or would I just have to do my undergrad and find a school that has a Master's program for NE?

Have you looked into the US Navy's nuclear officer pipeline? They send you to school for a year where you get taught reactor control theory and also qualify operating a landbased critical plant and then ship you off to a nuclear carrier or submarine. From what I've heard the experience is good to have on a resume and the pay isn't bad either.

You have to pass an interview with the admiral in DC but you don't have to be a nuclear engineer graduate, just have an aptitude to learn it.

Howard Phillips fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 13, 2009

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Chadula posted:

I'm studying Electromagnetics and I'll be school for the next 4 years.

Ask me any questions you like.

I heard electromagnetics is the most challenging topic in EE, can you comment on this? What kind of research are you working on?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

My school has the standard fare of Calc 1, 2, 3, DE, and a discrete math and probability course tailored for EE.

What gets me is that the math profs say that most of their courses are service courses for engineers yet most of the methods we learn in the math classes are never used in actual engineering problems. Why the hell are we learning to solve problems one way if we never use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

oddspelling posted:

I'm joining the Air Force, and I want to work on getting engineering degree (probably ME) in one of the on-base collages while I'm on active duty. Is this doable? (or even a good idea?)

It's not impossible but highly unlikely. Either finish your degree then enter the air force or try to get as much of your education done while in the service and then get out and finish your degree.

Realize that an engineering degree is a lot harder to put together than say a liberal arts degree because of the course load and labs etc...

The AF has its own community college, which you can get a associate's out of but actually getting a full undergraduate engineering degree will be pretty much impossible due to the time demands and operational schedule of being in the military. You also cannot rule out the possibility of deploying to Iraq or Afghanistan either, which will pretty much a full stop on your "normal life" activities for 6-7 months at minimum.

Long story short, go to school full time if you want degree otherwise do it later.