Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonisi
Sep 25, 2008

Sock The Great posted:

I studied Civil Engineering in school, with a focus in Project/Construction Management. I had issues finding employment at first, and took a job doing Data Analysis for an aerospace company, and am now transitioning into ME work.

From my experience there seems to be a large brain drain coming in the very near future. Most of the younger guys rely heavily on the older ones for just about everything, and when these guys retire in the next 5-10 years we're going to be seriously screwed.

So I would say go for it, maybe by the time you have a job we will have figured this out.

Studying Civil Engineering at the moment, thesis is due next week :( but at least I will be graduating very soon. What country are you in? In Australia it does not seem so bad getting a job but I guess that depends on who you know. I know of so many cases of people (especially near the end of a project) hooking other people up with jobs at other projects and providing references etc.

I agree that some of the older guys provide a fantastic amount of information, but most of the guys on the ground are fairly young. Though you always hear alot of complaints about how younger people lack proper planning because now they can always call up someone and get a specific material/plant the same day which was not possible in the past.

Also as for anyone interested in Environmental Engineering, on work sites it mainly seems to involve determining the construction effects on the nearby environment, identifying what needs to be protected and how, waste management issues (i.e. if we are testing a water retaining structure, where we can dispose of the test water) and so on.

I am sure it is more detailed than that but generally my experience is limited to asking them what I can and can't do when it comes to getting rid of materials and generating dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonisi
Sep 25, 2008
Wait you can re-take classes in the US and have that count?, wow. I failed one course (i.e. <50 was a bad semster, never went to any class other issues etc) and they make you re-do it. I did and got a distinction however only your first mark counts for your final results.

Either way I will still come out with a pretty decent mark and graduate on time (yay for overloading) but I would be stoked if they calculated my final grades with the new mark rather than the old one.