Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Ryan_Rooker posted:

As a new wave of students enter college I think it would be a good idea for new engineers and maybe some further along people, like me, to really understand what all this work is for. For you engineers out there (any type, though I would love to see some ME graduates), what was life like after school? What did you major in and what jobs did you end up having? Do you enjoy what you ended up doing or would you have wanted to pick another major? This is not so much a thread for what can you do with a major, but one for what people have done.

(If this is too close to the College&academic Advice MEGATHREAD I apologize and will take this thread down, but I think that's more what people potentially can do with their major instead of just examples)
I got an MEng in Aerospace Engineering (graduated July 08). I now work for the Government in what is technically an Engineering job, but is a lot more project management as the industry counterparts tend to do the actual Engineering. I have to say I am enjoying my job and have no regrets.

If you want to do real technical work (design, etc) then I would suggest looking into the Defence, Automotive or Aviation industries - companies like Lockheed, Boeing, GM, Rolls-Royce will always be employing Engineering grads. If you want to remain in the Engineering type sector, but are more interested in the management side of things (with some engineering) then I would suggest looking into joining a government department (think DoD, DoE, DoT etc) and going from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU