Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Necc0 posted:

For those of you who aren't in college yet and are debating it, I say go for it. Be wary though that the scare statistics of 2/3 of engineers dropping out or switching to business or some other easier major aren't exaggerated at all. Even if you can handle the work load your first two years are going to be hell, and if you manage to stick with it I can guarantee you'll be wondering if you made the right choice while you're sitting in a lab trying to debug the same drat circuit you were 7 hours ago while everyone else is out partying and having a good time. Your workload will never decrease, and will probably increase by your third year, but by that time you'll be getting into 'real' stuff where you actually sit back and feel like all your time was worth it.

This is pretty much true for a physics major. Except replace debugging a circuit by trying to figure out what the hell is happening in your interference pattern let alone derive an equation for it.

Your :smug: arrogance :smug: increases with your years as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Necc0 posted:

You physics majors are insane and I don't know how you do it. If I was smarter that'd definitely be the major I chose.

Neither do I, guess who won't be doing his Master's in a die-hard physics subject :v:

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Adahn the nameless posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I know. But what I'm asking is: With a Master's in Applied/Engineering Physics, what kinds of jobs are open to me?

Whatever you want. I always like the example that the Chancellor of Germany studied physics.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Slumpy posted:

Has anyone here been horrible at math and decided to become an engineer? How did that work out?

You'll have to be more specific with 'horrible'.

Do you mean someone that couldn't pass high school math? Couldn't pass high school math with trying? Could pass it barely etc.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Godders posted:

As an Engineering/Commerce student (I'm an Aus goon, so this would be a double major in Engineering/Business), what majors can I choose out of the Business stream that would compliment my engineering degree? I currently have it narrowed down to finance, accounting, management and international business.
Or should I have just gone down the B Eng and then MBA route? :eng99:

Complement to what purpose? If you want to enter a biomedical field finance is not going to help you. As an engineering student, you should know that you need to be specific in your questions.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Blowupologist posted:

Huh, cool an engineering thread.

I'm a mechanical engineer who works for the Navy as a civilian. Feel free to ask me questions about working for the government, or mechanical engineering stuff in general. I've been doing this for three years. I graduated with a BS in ME from the University of Maryland in 2005, got my MS a year later working on blast mitigating shapes for vehicle hulls, and then got hired to work on my current job.

I generally tell people my job is Dilbert with C-4. Ask away!

I'm interested in pursuing an engineering job in the military.

What is it that you do? Standard day to day routine?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

grover posted:

SA's new military forum
What type of engineering? I know of a few openings, but they're pretty specific.

Also, all US government civilian jobs are through http://www.usajobs.gov/

I don't know yet. And I'm not in the USA so I'm just looking for general information and experience.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Groda posted:

although you may have to compete with some frighteningly brilliant physics majors whose dreams of being paid to do particle physics have been crushed by some junior-year reality check. Fortunately, a lot of them are unemployable.

Could you clarify this part?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

You are all horribly spoiled. An entire semester for differential calculus? drat.

We get half a semester per subject;

1) Calculus I - differential, integral, limits, basics of series and complex numbers and some differential equations.
2) Calculus II - multivariable, vector calculus, the rest of series and complex numbers.
3) Linear algebra
4) Signals/or sometimes called Calculus C - Fourier- and Laplace transformations basically and some differential equations.
5) Linear analysis - advanced linear algebra
6) Advanced differential equations.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

grover posted:

Depth vs breadth. There's a lot more to some of this than you can cover thoroughly in half a semester.

Of course I considered this. Than I learned that someone transferring from a college to my university (where I live there is a clear distinction; colleges only offer 4 year Bachelors and universities offer 3 year Bachelors ánd Masters etc.) to do his Masters had to go through a 1 year pre-Masters course to take math classes a normal university student gets in his first year.

So if someone with a four year degree in Engineering has less math skills than someone just out of his first year in university it gets me thinking.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Does anyone have experience with an advanced degree in Philosophy of Science, Master's or PhD level?

I am 2/3 on the way of a BSc in Applied Physics and I'm 100% certain I want to get an advanced degree (probably PhD as well). I'm interested in the Philosohy of Science part but I'm a little scared that I end up without, you know, an actual skill. Other possibilities are Masters in Material Science or Biomedical Engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

Me and my roommate are EE majors and he's switching to physics, and laughing at me because he thinks he's gonna have it easier than me :laugh:.

I would rather shoot myself than do EE (doing physics now). For me at least, physics is way, way easier.