Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colmface
Apr 30, 2009
So, I have a question for the nuclear engineers out there.

I'm in my third year of studying EE and after third year, the school lets us go on an internship for 12-16 months. I'm really interested in working in power and specifically, in working with nuclear power. What're the chances that I could get an internship with a company that deals with nuclear power (either at the plant itself or with distributing the power)? I live in Canada, but I'm willing to travel.

I guess part of the problem is there's no specific stream for nuclear engineers at my school, and the EE path only dabbles in power electronics until the third year. I'm going to be taking a course on energy systems next semester, but that's all I'll really have under my belt except for a few circuits courses, numerical methods and a statistics class. Would I have a shot at an internship, or would I just have to do my undergrad and find a school that has a Master's program for NE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colmface
Apr 30, 2009

Mongolian Squid posted:

Have you looked into the US Navy's nuclear officer pipeline? They send you to school for a year where you get taught reactor control theory and also qualify operating a landbased critical plant and then ship you off to a nuclear carrier or submarine. From what I've heard the experience is good to have on a resume and the pay isn't bad either.

You have to pass an interview with the admiral in DC but you don't have to be a nuclear engineer graduate, just have an aptitude to learn it.

I don't think the US Navy will hire a Canadian. :shobon: But thanks for the info everyone!

Phlegmbot posted:

You have a shot at an internship. Try Ontario Power Generation and Bruce Power as your big guys.

Are you at U of T? If so, my company hires PEY students. When you apply for a PEY job, you should see our listings.

Honestly, we hire more mechs and chems than elecs. In my year, I was the only elec new grad hired out of almost two dozen. I think they hired two the next year, out of maybe 30 new grads.

PM me if you have any more questions.

I'm actually at U of C. And I don't have plat. :[

Colmface fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 14, 2009

Colmface
Apr 30, 2009
At U of Calgary, they seem to mash Calc I-IV into three calculus courses for engineers. The progression goes from single-variable calc -> multi-variable calc -> a DE class that also teaches series, sequences and Laplace transforms. Geomatics engineers also have to take a course on vector calculus (EE used to, now they just teach the relevant material in the first Electric Fields class). Of course, there's also your stats/probability class, a class on numerical methods and linear algebra.

I feel like we're the only school that does it this way. :ohdear:

Colmface
Apr 30, 2009
I ended up getting an internship with ABB in Switzerland, which is really exciting. :)

...Except I don't know how to use MatLAB or LABView at all. =[ Does anyone have any books they'd recommend for learning either program, or will I be able to figure it out by following the tutorials that come with each program (and liberal use of the Help menu + internet)?

Colmface
Apr 30, 2009

catbread.jpg posted:

Tell me more! (your background, the process etc.)

I'm interested in working for ABB in the future. I'll be starting my Masters next year, I've just finished my 4 year B.E. in electrical engineering (alllllmost top of my class :))

I've got a really cool job for the summer designing a hybrid DSP/FPGA-based controller for an electric car. I want to do research in power electronics and control theory for my Masters.

I'm only in my third year of an undergrad in EE. There wasn't really a process, I was just offered a job. My school has developed strong ties with ABB and Alstom for their internship program (which is done after third year), and I applied for a bunch of the postings. Like I said, there was no process. The person who will be my supervisor just e-mailed me saying "I want you for the job."

Colmface
Apr 30, 2009
I'm about 8.5 months done with a one-year EE internship at a research centre for a multi-national company. I received the internship through my school and one of the perks of doing these internships is that they should count towards the time spent as an EIT, so I should receive my PEng sooner.

However, research being research, my job is fairly tedious and fairly basic. I simply run the tests and help with maintaining the test setups. Usually, I don't perform any data analysis either. To this point, this internship is the only job experience I have on my resume. I know that the majority of engineering jobs are not like this, but I'm left feeling like I'm going to be woefully underprepared for life after school and thus, going to have a hard time finding a job. I've picked up a lot of "soft skills", but no real new technical knowledge besides some bits and pieces about material science.

Should I be concerned about this, or should I try to not let it bother me so much?

Colmface
Apr 30, 2009
Just wanted to thank everyone for the answers and advice to my question on the previous page. Definitely feeling a lot better about things on my end now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colmface
Apr 30, 2009

Dangerous Mind posted:

What kind of work would a typical entry level power systems engineer be doing? Also what kind of job titles or keywords should I be looking for when searching for jobs in power? I can think of substation, power delivery, and utility but not sure what else though. They say a lot of people are retiring from the field but what positions are they leaving exactly that I should be looking into?

It depends which part of the industry you get into. There's transmission lines (though this tends to be more civil engineers), substations, P&C, SCADA, big utilities will have dedicated telecom groups. There's also power system analysis where you run load flow studies, voltage stability studies, etc. in the planning or real-time operations space. It's more analysis focused, but can be a lot of fun (I've been working in operations for four years now.) I'm not sure about the US, but a lot of major utilities in Canada have rotation programs for entry-level engineers where you work in different groups for a period of time. This gives you exposure to different business units, and a lower-pressure way to figure out what you like.