Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thread Killer
May 14, 2009
Me and my girlfriend are both juniors in EE and currently are trying to find internships/co-ops for the summer. I think I have a decent shot at getting one because of an internship last summer, but she's really worried about not finding an internship which she equates with being able to find a job upon graduation.

Did anyone here find themselves in a similar situation and have some advice about finding a internship besides apply to anything in sight? Alternatively, how hard is it to find a job upon graduation without any previous internships? For the record, she has a GPA of 3.3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thread Killer
May 14, 2009

Skycks posted:

Would it be prudent to double specialize as an Electrical Engineer? Like most EE's I'm assuming, I'm most interested in Microelectronics and communication circuits and the like. So I want to take that sequence of courses. But then all I hear is if you want it to be easy to find a job after graduating, the High Power route is the way to go, because every big building and city grid in America needs EE's to do the job. I was also wanting to get a minor in computer science to go along with my first specialization. Is this a good idea to have all these tools under my belt so to speak, or should I just stick with one specialization?

I'm kind of dual specializing right now. I'm a junior in EE and I'm going to be taking classes in power and digital design. I'm primarily interested in the digital design, but as things stand now it's very hard to get an internship in that area. Right now, I've gotten 2 internships in the power industry. I figure with 2 specializations power will provide the job, and when the economy improves, I'll have the option to find a job I'm more interested in.

As for the computer science minor, what is the difference between that and a double major in CPE/EE? It seems that CPE would be the equivilent of a EE with a CS minor.

pimpology 101 posted:

Sophomore computer engineering major here.
I'm going to start applying for summer internships soon and I'm just curious as to what they look for specifically on a resume. I'm looking for a position as a electronic/computer/electrical engineering intern.

On my resume, I've got digital circuit design/troubleshooting, VHDL programming, Altera Quartus II, NI Multisim, Matlab/Mathematica, C programming, and Solid Edge CAD design listed as my skills seeing as that's what I've learned so far.

Is there anything in particular that they look for when hiring interns or should I be fine with that basic list of skills?

Your software experience looks fine. I've found that listing projects that you've done, especially if you've done them in your free time, will help you stand out from the crowd.