Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dooey
Jun 30, 2009
to heyniceperro: not necessarily. The 8 girls in my program (mechatronics) are having an equally tough time finding a job as the guys. I know its a small sample size (sigh...) but I wouldn't take it for granted.

to Cypress: I currently know 3 Canadian engineers working in the US for NASA or the defense industry. I don't know how difficult the process was, and I don't know have any easy way to contact them, but its not impossible, so don't give up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooey
Jun 30, 2009

Dads posted:

At my school (and likely in most others) the job placement program is heavily geared towards large companies, industry types, and 'career-oriented' opportunities. Most of the companies at job fairs seem to be looking for semi/permanent employees, and this seems to be where most of my peers end up. A general attitude I get is that most people are looking for jobs where they will always be advancing and always be making more money.

I prefer smaller companies and/or a small amount of 'career commitment'. I would rather work for many different companies, or, say, work a year or two at a time and take some amount of time off to pursue personal projects. I want to travel, for example. Moving up and advancing in salary is not important to me. If I can find a job that gives me great flexibility, I would be content with a salary that is much less than the average engineering starting salary. However, I do enjoy technical engineering and getting my hands dirty. I can never seem to find good answers as to whether this is a good idea, or even reasonable -- always, "well, it depends on the company," or "you just need to find someone that is a good fit for you." No information on whether these opportunities exist or how common they are or how to look for them.

My current GPA is about 2.6. I'm a transfer student, I have an AA with about 1.5years left in the mechanical engineering program. I have a decent resume, besides the GPA: two years managerial experience (contract staffing) in a manufacturing facility, paid research, engineering related extracurriculars, a good set of technical and computer skills. But I don't do terribly well in the classroom and don't realistically see my GPA getting any better than 3.0 by the time I graduate.

Considering my resume/GPA and what I'm looking for in a job, anyone have similar experience or ideas about what my job market would be like? What are reasonable expectations about career freedom?

I'm wondering the same thing. My GPA is a bit better (although I'm still in first term so that may change (but hopefully not)) and I'd like to live a similar life to what this guy is proposing. Anyone else done something like this?

Cypress posted:

I personally haven't tried these but they always looked kind of fun: The "(whatever) for the evil genius" project books.

http://www.amazon.com/Brad-Graham/e/B001I9TWTM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Really I should do them some day, but they're lower on the list than a bunch of my other projects. I still have my book on tesla coils waiting to be put to practice.

Also: Thevenin and Norton are easy, one is in series with a voltage source, the other in parallel with a current source.

We used Electronic Circuits for the Evil Genius in my high school electronics class (the guy who wrote the book taught the class) and it was OK at best. If you end up getting the same book, don't take the books word on everything, there are tons of errors, some pretty appalling ones too, like mislabeled datasheets for ICs. The projects start off fairly simple, like a light detector, and become moderately complex by the end, the last project uses up to 4 IC's and you can do quite a bit with it. I made D and D dice, with a switch that causes a 7seg display to count really fast, and then you stop it by turning off the switch. You could choose 2, 4, 6, or 8 "sides" to the dice with 4 other switches.

Also, I'm looking for a Co-op job right now, any Canadian engineers who are at a company that does co-op and could help get me a job? :D

Dooey
Jun 30, 2009

leo_r posted:

This seems like a good place to ask.

I'm trying to decide where to study abroad for a year. I'm currently studying aerospace engineering at the University of Leeds in the UK.

My main focus is North America. I'm thinking of Rensselaer (New York State), the University of Victoria (Vancouver Island, Canada), University of Waterloo (ontario) and potentially some others (eg McMaster (ontario), McGill (Montreal), Uni o Illinois (urbuna champaign...), Georgia Tech and there's a bunch of others).

However, I'm trying to balance these things out. Georgia Tech and Rensselaer are both pretty good unis, but their locations are a bit uninspiring and they're in the US, so I wouldn't be able to drink. However, trading academically down slightly and going somewhere like Victoria would mean I'd be able to drink, and be in an awesome area quite close to mountains and various other things. Ontario would be pretty dull probably, but I've got a lot of family living there (all completely crazy though..). Additionally, for some of those I'd have to switch my major to Mechanical Engineering (not a huge deal, but I quite like planes!).

So what do you think, wise engineers of SA?

(speaking only about Canada)

BC is one of the most beautiful and vibrant places in Canada, especially Victoria and the coast. Quebec is nothing to shake a stick at either, but I still prefer BC. If you are looking for a top tier school, Waterloo is consistently ranked first or second, but the town and general area is kinda boring. McMaster I don't know much about, but I imagine it wouldn't be much more interesting than Waterloo (do not take my word on that part, though, I haven't been to Hamilton myself.)

I agree that a term abroad should be something to enjoy, not something to spend working your butt off. I have no plans currently to spend a term abroad, but if I did, I would choose my location before I even looked at schools in the area.

Dooey
Jun 30, 2009
Have you told the power plant that you have another offer and don't want to risk not getting any job, and if they could let you know sooner? I have no idea if that would help, hurt, or not affect your chances, but its what I would do in your situation.

Dooey
Jun 30, 2009

BeefofAges posted:

The mistake you made here is that you only applied to ten companies. I had a great GPA and a good resume and I still applied to dozens and dozens of companies only to get a handful of interviews. It also often takes companies months to get back to you. As a college student, you are worth less than dirt, and so most companies won't give more than a few seconds of attention to your resume.

This. Everyone I've shown it to tells me I have a killer resume, but I still applied to almost 40 companies, and I thought it was barely enough.