Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ducksauce
Aug 18, 2009

Obviously you're not a golfer

Poopernickel posted:

Also, I think a lot of people got into engineering for the "gently caress yeah!" factor of the things they wind up doing. How many people can say they've worked on a satellite that's in orbit? Or that they've designed a new tank/fighter plane/missile/what-have-you. Or that they designed a bridge or a skyscraper. Or that they are responsible for planning out highway development.

The money doesn't hurt either.

This. Working on large projects like aircraft gives you a new perspective on just how much time and effort actually goes into the end product. I was working on a small subsystem of the JSF project, but it kept me busy for months.

I'm still in graduate school now though as I want to pursue a more theoretical/research oriented path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ducksauce
Aug 18, 2009

Obviously you're not a golfer

KaLogain posted:

Have you tried the oil and gas industry? Lots of the service companies are looking for design engineers. Try Rigzone.com, nov.com, halliburton.com, bakerhughes.com, schlumberger.com, smith.com, weatherford.com, etc. You'd likely have to move to Houston, but a job is a job, and there are always chances to move elswhere and internationally once you get on with a company.

Schlumberger's Tech & Field program is awesome to get into. If you apply there and start talking to a recruiter, ask them about it. You do 18 months of grunt work on a rig, but after that you work in Houston developing tools and systems for them.