Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryFeet
Sep 3, 2009
I graduated last year with a bsc hons (4 years) in elecrical engineering. I've done coursework in all of these, so I'll rate them in hardness and funness.

Hardness (from :eng101: to :eng99:)
RF/Electromagnetism
Control
Nuclear engineering
Power
Networks (computer sciencey stuff)
Digital Systems (fpgas wadda wadda wadda)
Computer Science

Funness (from :) to :saddowns:)
Digital Systems
Nuclear engineering
Control
Computer Science
Networks
RF/Electromagnetism
Power

Control Engineering helped me get a girlfriend. A non-geeky girlfriend. A real non-geeky girlfriend. No lies.

edit: A left-wing engineer? That'll never do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryFeet
Sep 3, 2009

Dangbe posted:

I am leaning towards Electrical Engineering as it involves a lot of problem solving but also involves some non-'screen staring' work as well.

I dont know about the states, but here you get "University" engineers and "College" engineers. The university ones have BSc's and do design work (computer staring) and the college technicians have diplomas actually build the stuff.

None of my friends who graduated with me (some straight electrical, some mechanical-electrical) do anything other than stare at screens.
(Well, in electrical I guess you get to lean over and stare at the oscilloscope screen)

Dangbe posted:

I guess my questions for you guys are:
-Is taking an accelerated Bachelors (3 years) to get an engineering degree insane?
It really depends on the degree. I would never ever be able to do my degree (Electrical eng & Computer science) in 3 years.

Dangbe posted:

-What are some of the defining characteristics of your work compared to other types of engineering. Contrast Mechanical, Environment, Electrical, etc.
All of these involve designing stuff and writing reports.

Dangbe posted:

-Can any Engineers tell me the types of careers involved with Environmental Engineering and what kind of things does this major focus on.
I had a friend in something like this. He did envoronmental impact assesments and crap. He seemed to like it cos he was outside half the day- But then it was back inside to write reports.

Dangbe posted:

-What should I expect when going back to school... Can I hold a 30hr/week job and finish this program in 3 years?
no.

Dangbe posted:

-Is the school that I attend all that important for the degree?
Sort-of, but after some experience, no.

AngryFeet
Sep 3, 2009
My company is thinking of sending me to the Washington DC area to do embedded software engineering, can someone give me an idea of how much they should be paying me? I have 3 years experience.

I've looked at those salary info sites but they vary quite a lot. What's a comfortable salary there?