Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leo_r
Oct 6, 2009

Ewan posted:

I got an MEng in Aerospace Engineering (graduated July 08). I now work for the Government in what is technically an Engineering job, but is a lot more project management as the industry counterparts tend to do the actual Engineering. I have to say I am enjoying my job and have no regrets.

If you want to do real technical work (design, etc) then I would suggest looking into the Defence, Automotive or Aviation industries - companies like Lockheed, Boeing, GM, Rolls-Royce will always be employing Engineering grads. If you want to remain in the Engineering type sector, but are more interested in the management side of things (with some engineering) then I would suggest looking into joining a government department (think DoD, DoE, DoT etc) and going from there.

Hey! Are you with DESG? I'm on the DESG Student scheme. I spent the summer working at Abbey Wood. It was deathly boring!I'm going to try and get a placement at DSTL next summer.

(Second year Aerospace Engineering student)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leo_r
Oct 6, 2009
This seems like a good place to ask.

I'm trying to decide where to study abroad for a year. I'm currently studying aerospace engineering at the University of Leeds in the UK.

My main focus is North America. I'm thinking of Rensselaer (New York State), the University of Victoria (Vancouver Island, Canada), University of Waterloo (ontario) and potentially some others (eg McMaster (ontario), McGill (Montreal), Uni o Illinois (urbuna champaign...), Georgia Tech and there's a bunch of others).

However, I'm trying to balance these things out. Georgia Tech and Rensselaer are both pretty good unis, but their locations are a bit uninspiring and they're in the US, so I wouldn't be able to drink. However, trading academically down slightly and going somewhere like Victoria would mean I'd be able to drink, and be in an awesome area quite close to mountains and various other things. Ontario would be pretty dull probably, but I've got a lot of family living there (all completely crazy though..). Additionally, for some of those I'd have to switch my major to Mechanical Engineering (not a huge deal, but I quite like planes!).

So what do you think, wise engineers of SA?

leo_r
Oct 6, 2009
The problem is that I a) Have a list of schools I can choose from which isn't very large, and b) have to take pretty much all engineering classes. The UK system is different to the north american system, and because the year is seen as my third year, I have to study what I'd cover in my third year at home. That means modules rougly equivalent to these.

No English or Business modules for me!

leo_r
Oct 6, 2009
Hello!

I'm studying aerospace engineering in the UK. I'm currently in second year.

Last year I did an internship with the Ministry of Defence, which was really poo poo. It was incredibly boring office work. I don't think I really learned anything technical. Turns out the MoD likes to hire engineers so that they don't get the wool pulled over their eyes by contractors. They do, however, refuse to do any work in house, so the engineers they hire don't really do much. After spending my summer as the risk manager (for a risk register that was ignored the few times they might have referenced it), I've been looking elsewhere for more interesting stuff.

The idea of working in Canada appeals to me. I'm half Canadian and have citizenship, so there isn't any legal difficulties. There's a few different "Placements abroad" organisations which I'm aware of. IAESTE tend to do more placements with governmental organisations. AIESEC have other placements, but they're more generic (non engineering) ones.

I've looked at a few companies that could be interesting, but most of them seem to have university-based application processes for internships. I emailed one or two, but didn't receive any reply. I'm sure they're not really interested, if they even manually monitor their recruitment email addresses for stuff that isn't CV's.

I'm aware of a lot of different internships and placements in the UK, and I'm sure there's a similar number in Canada. However, without a university to go to for these things, it's quite hard to find them.

Can anyone give me any advice? Know any lists of these things? Thanks!

leo_r
Oct 6, 2009
Does anyone know anything about summer internships in Canada? I'm studying aerospace engineering in the UK, but I'm originally Canadian. All the public sector stuff seems to have a very confusing application process through some central organisation, or is directly linked to universities. Not studying in Canada, finding information about placements (or how to apply) is pretty tricky. The UK aerospace industry is pretty much 1 company, who I don't really want to work for.

Anyone got any advice? Should I look into the US? If anyones at school in Canada and can send me any decent internship application info, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks