Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Hey Mechanical Engineers:

I want something that has a good specific modulus but also attenuates vibration.

Is there some material property that is measured at different frequencies for how much energy is converted to heat when you vibrate it?

E.G. Aluminum, Steel, GFRP might all have an E/density ratio of 23, but presumably GFRP will convert more vibrational energy to heat because of interfacial energy loss between the fibers and polymer. IDK if this is true though and I want to look it up for different materials like metals, FRPs and MMCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nam Taf posted:

My meagre experience with vibration dampening is that you put a layer of gluey substance between two sheets of metal (so called constrained layer damping. This way it's non-structural but helps to dampen the structural mass.

We use it on flat sheets of stainless with mild-to-moderate effect (5dB or so, but we only needed 3-4 to pass the tests).

I don't know if it suits your purposes?

Viscoelastic damping doesnt work well in high temp/humidity conditions or in low dynamic displacements (500+Hz for example). Also like you mentioned it doesn't increase the fn of the structure. In this case I'd be trying to raise the fn such that the thing I am adding a rib to is an octave higher than my enclosure body as damping wouldnt work in high temp tests.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tin Gang posted:

How does everyone feel about Engineers Without Borders?

I hate Africans getting functional wells with no power required filtration.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Uncle Jam posted:

Not really useful. Getting a MSc would be way more beneficial. Robotics is a pretty popular choice so spending a few years in a university robotics group doing stuff with the advisor is huge.

I agree with this. P.E.s also have their place on ride systems (think Disney World) or Aerospace but for the most part a master's degree with a little experience places you at a level 2 or 3 of 5 at most companies.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 30, 2014

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Party Alarm posted:

I'm a senior undergrad ME student, and I graduate in May. I applied for a job at an engineering design firm in California. I'm out of state (Tennessee) and since there are a lot of MEs in California I'll be competing with, I want to make sure I'm as competitive as possible.

I applied right before Thanksgiving, got a phone interview completed earlier this week, and took the BMCT they sent me and did well. They want to schedule a Skype interview with their engineering staff later this month, so it seems I am doing fairly well!

One of the desired employee traits is the ability to apply ASME y14.5 1994 GD&T standards in designs. I think it would be a good move to try and get this certification before I graduate, possibly this winter if I really devote me time to it.

Any suggestions / study material I should check out from those who have taken this cert before? I know ASME has a book on their website. Wish they could cut a deal for students, it's $175. Bleh!

There are tons of blueprint reading and making books that will teach you about GD&T. I dont havce a suggested good one. Also the proportion of jobs that say they want someone familiar with GD&T to those that actually use it beyond very very basic call outs is about 20:1 from what I've seen. If the job is in designing measuring equipment or gages that is where it will be used frequently.

Also I moved to a tech industry job in Silicon Valley 2 weeks after graduating from a college in Florida. Stanford, Berkley, CalPoly cant put out enough engineers for this place to hire them all.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

totalnewbie posted:

There are also test engineer jobs that are similar, except less diagnosing problems and more doing a lot of what will probably be similar tests and writing a lot of reports. The advantage that has over field technician, for example, is that it can require a lot more engineering knowledge and understanding to do the tests and write the reports.

I am interviewing for exactly this right now.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

hobbesmaster posted:

(Effectively) all ABET accredited undergrad programs are the same, don't worry too much about where you go.

No.

Apprentice Dick posted:

This is pretty much it, unless you go somewhere like MIT. After you have ~2-3 years in no one cares where you got a degree or about your GPA as long as you have it and its accredited.

Yes on GPA, I dont even list mine after one year of work at a major tech company and have secured a new job more in line with that I want to do. No to it doesnt matter where you went.

If you want a prestigious job, they care where you went. Cal Poly, Stanford, MIT, and even some still big name schools that are less known for just engineering will be favored. This has been the case at both a top 5 defense contractor and top 5 tech company (by market cap).

That said I went to a school no one in the bay area had heard of and dint have a good GPA (3.01) and landed both those jobs within 2 years of graduating. If you can convince them youre resourceful, inventive etc (and have projects, research, experience to back it up) that will be more important than where you went and you GPA. Still I say I got there in SPITE of those facts about myself. Better to go somewhere that helps you if you can.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shipon posted:

My university has a very well-renowned engineering school, but for my specific major (ChemE), it's program is almost unknown and we get almost no targeted recruitment. What does one do in cases like this?

Become a master of LinkedIn. Apply to approximately infinite online things. (I prefer Indeed, keep an active search going). Make friends with your professors and TAs. The TAs may graduate and give you a good recommendation. Its up to you to market yourself in that case.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mitztronic posted:

Can anyone who has worked in several different industries comment on strategies for lateral movement between industries? Is it common/best/easiest to just accept a lower-grade job in the new industry?

I was just offered a prominent job with a bump in pay and a decrease in cost of living but I have rejected it in hopes of moving into the tech industry (I am in aero). I would like to have a job I don't have to worry about my company constantly going under. I would like to make this switch in the next 1-5 years, so I know I have plenty of time, I just don't want to get too far deep into this aerospace hole and never be able to escape.

I live in the bay area and there are less than a handful of companies that do aerospace. In other words, I'm worried my company will tank in the next 5 years and I will have no fallout plan. But here I am sitting in the middle of the tech/consumer electronics industry and I am equally interested in working in that field.

I worked for a large tech company in the Bay Area and have moved to Aerospace out of the bay area. I don't think you have to step down, but you need to be able to perform at the level required of you. If you go from aerodynamic stuff for Lockheed to manufacturing stuff at Apple, you can probably expect to drop quite a bit. But if you were going from some sort of systems eng job that had a lot of supplier management at one to roughly the same thing just in a different industry, I think you'd be fine. I am a Mech E for reference.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Chairman posted:

The book I used to get up to speed with Python was A Primer on Scientific Programming with Python by Langtangen.

Thanks for this. Googling the name of it produced a very helpful result. :filez:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Thoguh posted:

Nobody is going to offer six figures for an entry level ME position that isn't on an oil rig in the North Sea or something.

It wasnt an entry level but yes, the tech industry in the bay area offered that to me. Though the bay area is one of the most expensive places to live in the country. My 1700 sq ft house in Florida on a river is $450/mo less than my 400 sq ft apartment in Redwood City, CA. And I get to have a boat and feed the fish :3

I found this to be pretty accurate between Florida and the bay area: http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

There are several others you may want to use to get an average idea of what you'd need to make to have a comparable cost of living.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
That depends entirely on the job market and what you will be doing. Use Glassdoor, BLS, payscale and other resources you can find by googling. You should avoid naming a number if you can. If you can't you should blush just a little bit when you name the number, as long as it passes the laugh test.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
EDIT: nvm, figured it out

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 9, 2015

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dangerous Mind posted:

I did. The following morning I sent them a thank you e-mail and at the end of the interview they (the two senior project managers interviewing me) gave me their business cards and employment forms but it wasn't an offer. They told me they'd follow up with me in a couple weeks, though.

On the bright side we have the engineering career fair in two weeks so hopefully I can snag a couple interviews/business cards from that.

I have a question though. If I don't manage to get an internship then what should I do for the summer? The last two summers I took classes at a CC but if I were to take classes this summer I'd have to take them at my uni and I'd get boned for $3-4k so I'd rather not. I can keep working my part time job (go full time for the summer to occupy myself). Since I just switched to EE over from Math I haven't taken any super important classes yet so I doubt I could do research either. Thoughts?

asur posted:

I think you're overestimating the skillset required to do research for a professor as an undergrad. I would definitely talk to your professors about it if you don't have any other plans for the the summer.

This^^ And PUBLISH something. And tell the professor you want to PUBLISH something. Employers and professors both like that you did something novel.

Alternatively teach yourself a new skills. Look at job descriptions for level 2 or 3 jobs (3-10 years experience) you want, look at the skills you dont have, master them over summer. You have to be pretty dedicated and passionate to do this well enough to get something out of it but employers like it.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 13, 2015

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shipon posted:

How do you do this when something involves the use of expensive processes or equipment?

asur posted:

You might have access through your university. If not and it's highly advantageous, you should try to get an internship doing it.

This is one very good suggestion.

If its a book/software obviously there's :filez:, yes it is not the most moral route but youre going to be using the legal version in industry either the software or requesting to buy a copy of the book.

In the case of something like manufacturing or electronics you could build your own crappy version of the machine to demonstrate that you know how it works, like a DIY or retrofitted CNC mill or lathe. I wouldnt really think anything of dropping $1000 to build something of value that makes me a clear winner. And so you know I put my money where my mouth is, when I got a job at a very large tech company in silicon in machining, I had a bridgeport mill, 3 phase power generator, 13x40 lathe and 200A AC/DC Tig Welder in my Mom's garage back home. Total cost because I scored some killed deals on craigslist/ebay (from China) about $3500.

I made very few things in that machine shop, just a few things for friends or myself. Never made a single dime from selling parts I made. Stating that I COULD though and that I was a true hands on nuts and bolts engineer instantly made me stand out massively among a sea of other graduating Mech Es and really started my career off well.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I got denied and interim clearance and now might get my offer rescinded despite me forking out about $10,000 to move across the country for a new job. No question, just venting and giving a heads up to anyone considering a job that requires one. Best case scenario I have to wait an additional 3 months for my secret clearance to come through and they dont rescind their offer in the mean time and they might MAYBE find unclassified work for me.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I'm familiar with that site, though I wish there was an aggregator you could search for related scenarios. I can see why they'd want to investigate me, though I am not worried that they wont give me a clearance. I am working for a defense contractor and have a Chinese work visa from working in manufacturing in the tech industry and when I was 19 I would import auto parts from China to sell online. I'm assuming they just want to make sure I dont still talk to my suppliers in China which I have not for multiple years.

I've never smoked pot, my only debt is my car payment and that is current and above water so I should be golden as far as getting the clearance...just not the interim.

Hopefully my skill set is rare enough that its pretty difficult to replace me in just a few months.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
This seems low for LA. I know you said you did a cost of living comparison but with the state sales and income taxes being what they are there it seems like theres lots of places you can go that are sunny and have e ahigher effective pay even if the number is very slightly lower. Florida comes to mind.

If possible get extra days to check out LA. I enjoyed visiting there but mother of god I would never live there.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 6, 2015

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bengk posted:

I'm going to be graduating in May and really want to get into the control engineering field.
I've done some projects using LabVIEW to create systems controlling some actuators and sensors.
What kind of skill set will companies be looking for?

I'm a bit late to replying to this but I cant say it enough. Find a job posting you want to have for a level 2-3 position. Do all the things you need to do to get up to that level.

A thing I have done that works awesome:
Sit and read whatever industry book on the subject is best reviewed on Amazon. Mention that book in your interview. Chances are someone will have it on their desk and think highly of it as a reference. Plus it means youre resourceful.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Fucknag posted:

I'm about done with community college and getting ready to start university (don't know exactly where yet), and I'm similarly at a point where I need to weigh my options.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick with mech over aero at this point. My rationale so far has been wider job base and the fact that I can still do the aerospace industry with a mech degree (My dream job is designing rocket engines)

However, from what I keep hearing, I'm now not so sure if I really wanna do that; I know the stories about ie Spacex, and now it's sounding like that's a lot more widespread than I thought. My other option (or rather direction of interest) would be going into the automotive industry, since I've got plenty of experience working on cars already, as opposed to zero with anything aerospace.

The caveat to all this is that I live in Orlando, nowhere near anything automotive related but right in the heart of all the space coast stuff and the UCF/lockmart conglomerate, which throws off the calculus somewhat, at least until I get a better resume and can more easily consider moving out of state.

Anyone working in the auto industry who can weigh in on this?

Whats up fellow Valencia -> UCF transfer. When i graduated I went to a very big silicon valley company and now I am back in Central Florida for defense. I also interviewed at Honda Manufacturing of Alabama, Lockheed and a few others who are players at the UCF career fair.

Unless you specifically want an Aero job DOING something that requires Aero, get a mechanical undergrad. Also try to get an internship through Lockheed CWEP, Northrop Grumman in Melbourne, or something in Research Park (the latter is unlikely). If all else fails do research at the college. Both my senior design project and the stuff I published in undergrad came up in interviews.

Good luck.

EDIT: P.S> There is nothing automotive in the Orlando area (Lakeland->Space Coast) that I am aware of except MAYBE a Tier 3 here or there. There's also one or two racing teams in Miami but you better be a technical leader in FSAE and be prepare to do nothing but that racing team life.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 2, 2015

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

dxt posted:

Wouldn't hurt to try and negotiate something in the 70s. it's almost always good to negotiate up an initial offer, even if you like it, I've always squeezed at least a few extra k out of it.

This has been my experience. If not in salary a few k in sign on bonus or stocks.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

torpedan posted:

It would be beneficial to know either SolidWorks or Creo, but really you want to focus more on fundamental skills as oppose to a specific software. As long as you have a good understanding of parametric modeling, as well as the concept you need to use to create a model, it is not that difficult to go between SolidWorks or Creo. it is also worthwhile to have a good understanding of how things should be dimensioned to get what you want ( tolerance stacks, GD&T, how things are actually made.)

I have seen more NX than Catia.

Also if youre going to do analysis/design you should do some FEA once you get decent at CAD. ANSYS R15 is wonderful and has full day online training through their customer portal. ANSYS is very easy to use IMO compared to the others I have used (Solidworks Simulation, FEMAP, NX FEM/SIM)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mitztronic posted:

It's unlimited, so they are offering PTO if he has things he needs to take care of in his origin town. Unfortunately that's not why he needs more time. I wouldn't call specifically that a red flag. They don't know he's waiting for another offer, they're trying to work with him

I don't even make that with a master's and four years of experience in the bay area. Why did I get into aerospace again???

WHAT?! Please tell me you actually mean like Tracy or somewhere WAY east?! Arent you a Mech E?!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mitztronic posted:

Thanks for the comments on NXP and Qualcomm. If anyone else knows anything or can provide insight on RF engineering I would really appreciate it.

I would really like to get into terrestrial communications. Fiber optics or cellular telecom. A couple other companies I am looking at are in those areas.

I'm an RF EE with a masters. I work in The South Bay. I just had another talk with my boss about how unhappy I am with benefits and compensation and all he really could tell me is "so is everyone else" and "if you stick with it for another year you'll (probably) be promoted". Ironically they have had positions open for months and they cannot fill them. Probably because they are only offering peanuts with an offensive benefits package. It seems like every week I come in there are less and less employees, and it seems the majority of people we do have tend to be new hires from last summer

I'd like to stick around here and see my current project completed, but beyond that I don't think they are capable of keeping me around unless they start treating the employees right.

I am telling you this to motivate you to find a new job because FFS everyone wants to hire RF people what is wrong with you. Not because I am a braggy dick.

I worked as a manufacturing engineer straight out of a BSME with ~3 years of during college experience and 2 published papers. I can interview well because I practice and study the topics in the description. Went to work at a well known silicon valley company.

91K base, 10K SOB, ~25K/yr Stock (depending on market) for 4 years, great benefits.
I wasnt making a ridic salary either for the area. The only people making what you are in the bay area are at startups hoping to go public or get bought up and they are being granted equity.

Lots of work and long hours were the trade off but jesus you're an EE in silicon valley.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
By the way anyone who thinks that is good money, this calculator was about dead on money conversion wise:

http://www.payscale.com/cost-of-living-calculator

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Look for jobs you might want, see what software they want you to use, learn that software. I love Solidworks but honestly, no big companies use it and it probably would've been time better spent in NX in the long run.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

huhu posted:

I've got a degree in mechanical engineering and took two comp sci classes during undergrad. My internships have been heavily about product design and my hobbies have been a mix of product design (Arduino & 3D printing) and computer programming (Wiring, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and some libraries).

Edit:
Portfolio: http://www.travisbumgarner.com/
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisbumgarner

As you know, web "programming" and programming arent really similar things. Especially when you have an engineering degree. I don't see how youre going to sell meshing the two, maybe some company has that need but I have not seen it. Your friends are right.

The arduino stuff, anything where youre interfacing real world measurements, is the hot area of technology right now and if you enjoy that consider tailoring your linkedin to highlight how you can apply your mechanical engineering skills to that.

I might say this over and over but its because people keep needing to hear it. Find jobs, open right now, that you want to do and then explain to that company through your resume, linked in, emails, how you can meet those needs. This is a double benefit to you and the company because the jobs you are finding and doing this for should be jobs that it looks like you can enjoy.

You didnt go to school for web design and a few personal websites doesnt really strike me as hugely passionate about it. You went to school for Mech E, you've got some experience in that field, and the booming world of microcontroller based products is calling....or will be once you write a resume and linked in to let it know youre qualified.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

And your website too. Remove or confine to being a small minority of space anything that isn't in the field you're actually going to work.

-Product design
-Real programming
-Microcontrollers
-Stuff employers say they want

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Pick something. Be the best at it. Don't pursue both. You only have a degree and meaningful experience in one it seems.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 8, 2015

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bengk posted:

I'm a recent graduating electrical engineer that just got hired on as an automation engineer. However, I find myself behind a desk just monitoring machines for 8 hours a day where 90% of the time I'm doing nothing at all. The other 10% of the time I'm just dealing with network issues communicating with the automatic machines. My question is, am I wasting my time here? The pay isn't so bad I think for an entry level job at $65k in Long Beach, CA area. But I feel like I'm learning very little of what I feel like is a niche skill. Is there other work out there that will find my skills useful? Should I start looking for a better job now?

I cant answer your questions as I am not an EE but something to consider:

At most large companies, it is common to make moves that may be considered "lateral". In fact the management track people tend to be those people who make lateral moves to several different areas. If youre not at a large company this opportunity may not be out there or it may require switching to another job.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

etalian posted:

It's a catch-22 companies want to hire people with prior experience but you sometimes need a low level position to pass the experience tollgate.

I agree with this though, FWIW I found a company hiring and made the jump with just 1 year out of college and ~3 years in college experience.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
At the two very large companies I have worked at an MSc is highly valued. I cant speak on the pay because I dont have one but certainly people put in positions of expertise have at LEAST an engineering management masters, technical people mostly all have technical masters degrees.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Devian666 posted:

As opposed to my first engineer job I was overloaded from the start. I was applying my research work to designs within two months of starting.

Recently I got an engineer from the company I started with to pull up some old archive files for a building from 1999. I was sent copies of the design work I was after which included design work from my first month. Was amusing to see that as I'd forgotten the details of the project.

I have worked at two places in the 1.5 years since graduating, both big companies, and both of them involved 40 hours worth of work worth doing from the start. The first one more than that, the second started slower but I used the time to do research relevant to my positiona nd now I have a big presentation with a bunch of SMEs and a few managers in 2 weeks presenting a tool based on that research.

Lessons:
Use your downtime wisely to contribute.
It's not true that new hires are definitely going to do meaningless work.

EDIT: It may be worth mentioning I was a level 3 at the first one and a level 2 at the current one.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Devian666 posted:

Talking to some of the older engineers can be enlightening and listening to what work is going on is important. You'll find you might need to look at standards, regulations or so on and it's worth knowing them.

If you have any other degrees that are not engineering they might be applicable. As I also have a chemistry degree I dealt with a number of hazardous substances jobs and helped get the company out of a major corrosion problem that could have led to a large claim. Don't underestimate how useful you can be.

Yea my company applauds new hires who find even commercial tools that are simply the latest and greatest that the company didnt use or know about. Whatever saves time and money and/or improves quality.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I have a simple Mech E question that I can't find in any text book or spec to back it up.

Short version:
I need a reference for how far bolts should be spaced apart. I have heard the rule of thumb is every 5 x diameter but a 1/4-20" bolt every 1.25" isnt happening.

How far apart should bolts be on a flat plate?

Longer version:
A friend has a 10" x 20" x .1875" plate he is bolting electronics to in his home built race car. I ran some matlab scripts to vaguely estimate the first natural frequency which was about 90Hz. I am not a car dynamics expert but I suggested he try to get it up over 550Hz thinking 6000RPM/(60min/sec)*4 cyl firing per rotation = 10-400Hz sweeps, 400Hz*sqrt(2)=~560Hz.

The suggestions I made were:
Add crossmembers.
Add bolts with flat+lock washers. (Currently 6 bolts hold it, thus my question how many is the right amount?)
Move vibration sensitive electronics toward the fixed edges of the plate.
Epoxy some of the plastic fuse enclosures to the plate.
Consider epoxying the plate then bolting it down.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
My job is dealing with environmental effects on avionics, e.g. shock, vibe, thermal, corrosion, etc, though for a jet propelled plane so I am not that sure of the vibe levels he will see. As the design sits currently, my friend, also a mech engineer, has a bunch of relays mounted to this piece of G10 and the first mode is probably less than 100Hz, i.e. likely to get excited often. The coil is also mounted in a way that it'll have overturning moments. I am confident that he will see short relay life as a result of this design and could use some upgrades in terms of rigidity.

That is a great link and I did talk to him about service loops for his wires and commercial connectors and what not. My internship was for a mil spec crimp tool company.

I realize my question is hella basic, but I still don't know where that "rule of thumb" comes from.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Thanks for the replies, that envelopes the problem quite nicely.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Xeom posted:

Can confirm, thumb twiddling expert after only seven months! At least I've performed two root cause analysis's. They will mean nothing, mostly because engineering has no say in this company. We are a support group and the plants are the customer. They mostly ignore anything we say that they don't like, and I am saying things they won't like. At least they seem to be buying into SPC, and we might have a chance to implement it on some lines. Haha no, it will take more than two months and they will just drop it.

Only 1 1/2 years left till I can leave! Any advice in transitioning to a totally new industry? I am a ChemE, but working in thermoforming which is probably more of a ME deal. Don't think I want to do process engineering ever again. Quality engineering seems cushy enough and maybe I won't have to live in the middle of no where any more (I want to live in a city so bad).

I did this. I went from a pre Mech E degree backgorund in CNC machining, graduated got a job in manufacturing engineering, now work in avionics qualification focusing on dynamics.

I did it by dissecting the job descriptions for what I wanted to do into actionable things I could study the fundamentals and latest tech in. It worked very well, I was hired with just a phone interview to the 2nd or 3rd largest company in my industry. I enjoy my job much more now.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Doghouse posted:

My wife is a mechanical engineer, looking for a mid level job in St Louis, but finding that a ton of positions require travel, which she can't really do, what with having a family and all. Is it always like that for mechanical engineering positions?

Mech E here, YMMV:
My job was listed as up to 25% travel I have traveled exactly 0% in 4 months. Have a 3 day trip that might maybe happen this month. At current trends I might travel 6 days per year.
My previous job was up to 15% travel, also never traveled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Thoguh posted:

Lockheed bought Sikorsky a few days ago. Because the aerospace industry just wasn't quite consolidated enough. One less airframe OEM now.

And because United said gently caress you Sikorsky we are selling you...