Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.
I've done mechanical work:
Corportate: equipment design; equipment specifications,
Plant: dig apart in equipment to determine cause of failure; maintenance planning and reliability (at a plant)

And chemical engineering:
Corporate: plant design, steam pipe sizing (and boiler specification), water piping sizing
Plant: Troubleshoot systems to determine what's broken in them when they act up (this is limited)

And since some of you guys were bitching about interns posting. I did these things through 3 summers at one company, and 2 co-op terms at another. The only time my internship didn't pay over $50k was the first summer.

I have 10 hours left on a BSME

e: if you want more details on any of these let me know

Corrupted fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

Adahn the nameless posted:

I meant a master's in applied Physics. I have a B.A is Physics, but I'm not finding much with it.

Unfortunately there is a bit of difference between a BA and BS in physics. Regardless, I think it may be hard without going above the bachelor's in that field.

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

hobbesmaster posted:

Harvard is usually ranked 1 in astrophysics and will only issue you a BA in physics. Caltech will also be happy to issue you a BS in English. Don't make assumptions about the BA vs BS thing without knowing about the school you're talking about.

Ah, didn't realize it was so different at other places. I retract =)

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

DerDestroyer posted:

Remember for every 1 of you who call yourselves engineers here in North America, there's 4-5 more Indians who can be paid off all together with your salary and each one of them will do twice as much work as you. My father's firm is already exporting a lot of their engineering work to India.

Apparently you haven't ever worked directly with an Indian engineer. They are great at doing exactly what they are told. Other than that, they can barely think for themselves and really won't do anything other than your EXACT directions. That can be good and bad depending on what you need.

Comrade Placebo posted:

I'd like to know more about Environmental Engineering as well.

From what I've seen, not one myself. Permits, permits... permits! And waste water treatment at our plant. Basically remove all the organic and other stuff, leave just pure water. Release it to nearby waterway or reuse if needed.

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

Chachikoala posted:

Some companies will place minimum GPA limits that draws a hard line in the sand for whether or not you are invited for an interview. Depending on the company it is usually between a 2.7 and a 3.3.

And larger companies are stricter about it.

My friend with 3 internships already was denied interviews at places with 3.0 cut offs when he had a 2.97 GPA ...

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

Blue Light Special posted:

Anyone have experience with going for the MBA right away rather than waiting? Or has anyone participated in one of the dual MBA/MSE programs a few schools offer?

Any decent school offering MBAs is going to REQUIRE you have to worked in the industry. How do you think you could possibly learn to manage anything when you have no idea how it functions?

From what I've been looking at recently, the combined MBA/MSE programs don't pay for your school nor do the MSCE. The only ones I've seen that pay you to go are thesis MS and PhD, which I think is a huge incentive to get a proper degree. You would have to be into doing research as opposed to just taking more classes.

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

Recreations in Logic posted:

Yeah for real...I knew people who made $20k over a summer back in undergrad.

Pioneer gave my friend (MechE) $11k moving bonus-he drove from TX to CO-and then some pay rate close to $30/hour...It was probably among the high end of intern pay I would expect.

It pays to play in oil :P

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

grover posted:

It wouldn't be compromised at all. I did an early admissions to college thing where I spent my senior year of high school at the local community college, and found (at least in my experience) that the education was excellent, and the overall attitude and work environment better than that of a traditional 4-year school. I think the difference was that although a majority of the people in the 4-year school were there just because it was expected of them, but it was really just an extension of high school and a time to party. Whereas most of the people in the CC were either there because they couldn't afford a better school, couldn't get into a better school, or were established in their careers and going back for their degree- one thing they all had in common was they WANTED TO BE THERE. They aren't just there to get by, but actually learn. And it makes a big difference.

The coursework is the same. One thing you MUST be sure of is that all the credits transferred. For instance, I received 3 credits for drafting, but the school I transferred to made me retake it anyhow because the CC was almost all table drafting (was 15 years ago btw) and didn't include as much CAD drafting as the the degree requirements reflected. The "intro to engineering" course was a complete waste as well. Except for the factory tour we went on, that was pretty cool.

The best part is the cost- 2 years of CC will cost you about the same as 1 semester of a typical state school.
No, that's Calc 5. Sucks rear end, and worse- is worthless poo poo nobody will EVER use. At least Calc 2 is useful.

What does Calc 5 cover?

Most I've seen is 3 semesters.

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

Bean_ posted:

We have four at VT.
1-Derivative
2-Integral
3-Multivariable
4-Differential Equations

I was going to put a maybe on DiffEq as a fourth.

We take these 4 math classes and then an elective, which generally is matrices/linear algebra

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

Heli0s posted:

Not quite sure if this belongs in college advice or here, but I've read most of this thread and there's been tons of great advice so here goes.

I'm enrolled in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Texas at Austin, slotted to start in August. What I'd be interested in knowing from you guys is what are some things you'd wish you had known when you were just starting college? What would you do differently? What advice would you give beyond the normal get help/do homework/get internships/network/etc for a freshman engineering student at a competitive school?

Any non-engineering classes that are particularly useful? I enjoy writing and I work well when a project is team/group oriented (football captain) so I'm thinking about throwing in a debate class or something along with a few extra english courses, but I have a very limited number of electives available to slot in. :ohdear:

Also: what would you do if you had a summer to prepare beforehand? In particular any engineering/math/physics textbooks that were particularly helpful for self teaching beyond what I could find in the resource thread would be good.

One thing: I have had terrible math teachers for as long as I can remember and never was interested in it beyond 'passing the test,' which changed when I ended up skipping geometry/trig/precalculus to take an AP calculus class and discovered math is interesting. I aced the calc classes (differential and integral calculus), but I still feel that not having the math base is hurting me; so I'm going to re-teach myself basic math this summer and maybe move on into calc 3 from there.

Thanks in advance

Also: I might have scored a chance at an internship type deal with a friend who owns an engineering firm here in town for the summer, so fingers crossed.

As far as math goes, I started college my first semester with Calculus (this was at junior college though). My high school math went something like algebra, geometry, and algebra 2. I enrolled in honors pre-calc my senior year and then dropped it to take statistics. There was a learning curve on the trig identities since it was my very first exposure, but I picked it up pretty quickly and realized what I did and didn't need. I have always felt behind in math, but I think this is true of almost everyone I met along the way to graduation.

If you have more questions or want more specific answers to what you should be expecting, you can email me (thebeerbrewer AT g-mail). I graduated last year from the ME program at UT.

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

plester1 posted:

Same situation here. I love working at a small company. Basically zero bullshit.

I work for a small company (250 over 4 locations), and they must be trying to emulate large company bullshit because it can be off the charts.

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

grover posted:

Do some practice FE problems, study up on where you're weak, and you should do fine; the FE has a pretty high pass rate. Print out a copy of the FE reference manual and buy an FE-permitted calculator, and do all the practice with those. Also, note that every problem on the FE exam has a trivial answer. If you're spending a lot of time crunching numbers, you're doing it the wrong way. (I found it WAY easier than the practice problems.)

I agree on the difficulty. The practice book problems were much harder than the actual exam. I thought the second half would be more difficult than the first (and maybe like the harder book problems. The difficulty increase from first to second half was almost nothing.

I studied maybe 4 hours in total. Didn't pass by much, but it doesn't matter because nobody sees that.

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

movax posted:

I think it's a better graduate degree than it is an undergraduate degree. Better you master a specific discipline like ME or EE, and then specialize in graduate school (maybe after a year or two of work). A good friend of mine graduated with ME, worked for Chrysler for two years and is now at Georgia Tech's prosthetics program, #1 in the country. As a bonus, he's also got a cool $40k or so stashed in his bank account.

Corrupted: they don't show you your exact score, do they? I just got "Passed", I was curious as to how much I passed by, as I didn't study whatsoever and kinda winged it. (And as I mentioned in this thread earlier I think, some fuckwit stole my calculator during break so I did all the math in my head for the EE portion)

Yeah they reported my exact score to me only, outside of me you just see pass/fail. Had a good day and managed to pass. I have a tough time with test taking anyways. The calculator theft is some serious BS and I personally would have made a very big deal about it because that's how I am.

Wolfy posted:

I hope this guy didn't pass and never got a job as an engineer because that's such a scuzzy thing to do.

He's lucky someone didn't cut his balls off for it. That's quite a thing to do on such a stressful day for most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrupted
Mar 22, 2003
nerd.

Wilhelm posted:

Hey guys, internship question here. I'm a third year Ontario civil engineering student going into a fourth year, though due to a failure in first I'll need to do a fifth.

I've worked a 3 month internship placement the past summer at a private well-regarded company in their structural engineering department doing some design calculations etc. For this summer I have two options:

1) My old firm has offered to hire me again, with the same structural department though I'll apparently get a lot more responsibility this time around. The work ethic there is pretty high and all of the employees are held to very high standards. My expected pay will probably be roughly $12.50/hour.

2) I've been offered a position in the structural department of the Ministry of Transportation in my university's town, primarily focusing on road design etc. The pay is going to be between $14-$16/hour (negotiations pending) however I'm concerned that a public position will impede me from future employment opportunities.

Does anyone have any advice as to which would be best?

It's an internship... do whichever one sounds either:
a) more interesting to you
or
b) is more in line with what you want to do career wise

A lot of times these will go together. It is nice to work in highly-regarded companies as an intern because it helps when looking for full time. Your pay seems pretty low at both jobs, especially the repeat one. My second internship with the same company resulted in a pay increase close to as much as your total and was higher to start with.

Corrupted fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 11, 2012