Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

The Wensey posted:

Any Chemical Engineers in the house? I'd seriously considering it, as well as straight-up Chemistry. Care to enlighten me?

M.S. in chemical engineering. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

Thoguh posted:

To the guy asking about grades; for the aerospace/defense industry you generally need a 3.00 to get a second look. However, if you can get some work experience or become a lead on a big out of class student project, that can help a recruiter look past a 2.8-2.99 type GPA. Since a low GPA will hinder getting work experience, definitely look into student projects.

Some companies will place minimum GPA limits that draws a hard line in the sand for whether or not you are invited for an interview. Depending on the company it is usually between a 2.7 and a 3.3.

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

Calef posted:

I graduated with a B.S. in Chemical Engineering and could not find a job to save my loving life. Or more specifically, none of the big companies with high-paying jobs that I thought I deserved would even interview me. This was because
1) I honestly believed that "GPA doesn't matter for ChemE's, we're in such high demand!!!"
2) I had zero internships or work experience of any kind. I got out in four years flat.

It doesn't matter what your major is, GPA is important to get your foot in the door and internships are important for work experience. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

luvs2Bgraded posted:

Why are there so many people in this thread who are either alumni or are currently attending Colorado School of Mines? That said, I am currently a Metallurgical and Materials Engineering student at Mines, and wish I could get an internship.

I'm an alum, who knows why SA seems to have quite a few grads from the school. In fairness the engineering program there is quite large when compared to other engineering programs around the country.

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

Flyboy925 posted:

I am going back to school for chemical engineering and wiil be graduating in about 3 years. I have to retake some classes that didn't transfer. I am looking forward to after I graduate, and the job scene, but wondering where I can find info on the anticipated demand for Chemical engineers, especially in the Anchorage and Greater Seattle Area. I would think that the Refineries in the Anacortes area of the Puget Sound would be a great area to look for ChemE jobs, but couldn't really find any openings , or listings for that area.

TL;DR: where can I find info on expected demand for Chemical Engineers in a perticular region.

Always start with your school's career center. That will allow you to identify companies that typically hire from your school. The career center may also be able to identify companies who are hiring in those locations.

Also there are quite a few ChemE opportunities with major oil companies that have activities on the North Slope that have offices in Anchorage. If you want to capitalize on those you will need to keep your GPA above a 3.5. I would imagine there are a number of small operators that have opportunities up there as well.

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

alwaysinnasomething posted:

School of Mines alumni, associates:

I am an old guy (27), and I'm headed back to college. I'd like to become an engineer, engineer things, and get paid. I have 100% GI Bill (college is pretty much paid for) and am considering going to Mines for undergrad. Since the difference in tuition is a non-factor for me, is it worth living in/near Golden in order to attend SoM as opposed to a typical state school that offers an engineering program (like UNM or UC Denver)? I have heard that Mines graduates tend to be more sought after for high paying jobs, or even jobs at all, which is the primary consideration for me at this point. Is this true? If not, I'd probably want to live somewhere else while attending a different school.

Mines alumni here as well. I am a huge fan of the education I received, but be warned...they will work the poo poo out of you.

An easy comparison is to call the school and talk to the career center about job placement statistics for engineering graduates. Mines is a respected school in industry and it shows in the placement statistics. I know Mines publishes theirs and I imagine you can find similar data from the other school you mentioned. That should put some data to the reputation.

Additionally since you are bit older then the average student you could consider living a bit closer to Denver and commuting. Personally I really like the area near Golden and with the light rail going in you have easy access to the city. It will also be easier to assimilate into the fact that engineers spend a lot of time hitting the books if you live nearby and are surrounded by students doing just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

grover posted:

How many hours a week do the engineers here typically work? I consider myself pretty lucky to have a good salary while only having to work 40hrs/week, and paid overtime if I ever have to work more. Is that typical, or do most of y'all pull much longer hours at the office?

No overtime

Good week - 50 hours minimum
Bad weeks (seem to come more frequently lately) 75-80 hours

Salary is pretty good for my experience level though.