Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I graduated with a BSME in 2018. Military vet. Taking the FE in May.

So during college I took a 6-month internship with a systems integrator. Controls and instrumentation, yadda yadda. I enjoyed the work quite a bit, and it's something I want to further pursue.

I was having trouble finding work upon graduation. but after a few weeks I accepted a job with a civil consultant. During the interview, my controls and instrumentation background was a major selling point. They told me about this controls work they had coming up that I would be perfect for. I thought it sounded great and I'd be getting the experience I thought I would.

Fast forward nearly a year and... barely anything. I review a submittal here and there. I talked to a vendor once. All of the integration work I've been involved combined could take up a solid week, tops. It's a smallish firm, so it's not like other people are getting the work instead. I'm the "controls expert" apparently.

I have learned quite a bit about the CivE world, but I'm basically being tasked with what I can only describe as miscellaneous work. On top of all of it, I commute 3 hours a day.

I'm just loving miserable and frustrated. My family has noticed it, especially in the last few months. I'm actively pursuing a new job. No prospects yet.

Am I at risk of getting pigeonholed into a career path I don't want because I can't get the necessary experience, or am I just looking at this all wrong?

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So I'm a mechanical engineer and I've been working for a wastewater consulting firm for 2+ years (this is my first post-grad job). I generally like the field. However I think I'm running into some issues that I can't seem shake.

We work off billable time, which means timesheets. I loathe them. Part of the problem is their mere existence in the first place, but I always feel like it's really difficult to encapsulate what I did within 30 minute segments. I always feel like I'm going to be judged because I spun my wheels with something or I needed time to think something out because it's the first time I've ever done a specific task. I know it's in my head because I've never once gotten negative feedback or questioning about time entries. But there's days where I feel like I've gotten nothing accomplished even though I did research and whatnot, and I just never know how to properly account for it. It's not like I made X amount of widgets where I can easily account for that.

On top of that, and this probably compounds the problem, I was diagnosed ADHD as an adult. I do take medication, but it's not bulletproof. Sometimes it's hard for me to put projects down within allotted time, or I'll get keyed in on a project detail and it turns into a time sink. I use a pomodoro technique clock and that helps a little bit.

Also, it's a small company, and we're busy. I mean that's great and I'm thankful for a job, but it's Iike get thrown into a smattering of project tasks and everybody needs them done now, and I feel like it's hard to complete them to a satisfactory level. It's like lately I can only spin so many plates before some start crashing down. I'm constantly interrupted by people. Plus I just don't feel like I'm developing as an engineer with never being able to truly absorb or anything-- just any random kick poo poo out the door when it needs to be out.

I've been doing this for 2+ years and I don't know what I particularly excel at. I don't even know if I want to be an engineer anymore. It's frustrating.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My degree is in mechanical engineering but 5+ years in my career I've been doing primarily controls, electrical, and GIS. The mechanical background helps, but I wouldn't really call myself a mechanical engineer.

I also started my 2nd foray in college to get the degree right after I turned 30, so I've probably felt what you're feeling. I had to basically start my math journey with trigonometry which technically didn't even count towards my degree, and I never had calculus prior, ever. Funny thing is, I've haven't done any calc since graduatiing, although I may have to brush up for PE.

Also regarding imposter syndrome, from my own perspective, it never really goes away. In fact I think mine elevated when I graduated and started working. You learn ways to manage it though. Talking helps.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 26, 2024