Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
How are things for engineering technicians? I'm debating going back to school for an Associates in EE, and figure that if I like it I'll get a BS since all credits will transfer for this particular program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

Huskalator posted:

How smart and good at math do you have to be to be a successful engineer?

I'm smart and I always score >90% on standardized tests and I'm good at math but I'm no math whiz nor am I anywhere near a genius. What skill set does it take to become a successful engineer?

Discipline.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

frr posted:

Yeah, I'm on the lookout for something that may be a better fit since I spend 1/3 of my life working...

Take a pay cut and be a technician. I'd guess you'd have a major advantage over the other applicants.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
Not an engineer yet, but I'm returning to school in the spring and during my preparation I've found two good books that cover strategies for studying engineering that might help out a few people in this thread.

This one was recommended to me by the dean of engineering at notre dame: Studying Engineering.

And I found this one on my own by just browsing around the library:
Studying Engineering at University.

You can tell these were both written by engineers as the table of contents has an entry for nearly every paragraph in the book.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

Dangbe posted:

This is what I'm scared of. I have a philosophy degree but I still think its going to be an entire bachelors degree instead of just a 2 or 3 year bachelors. Lucky for you, you have money saved up. I'm going to have to do the entire thing on student loans. Even expense of living will have to be covered by those.

Is an electrical or chemical engineering degree worth 70k worth of debt?

Consider a community college pre-engineering program. The one I'm attending has a two year deal where all the credits will transfer to several four-year schools at a cost of about $11k for tuition and all fees, which is cheapcheapcheap compared to a single year at my alma mater.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

Dangbe posted:

Would my education be compromised by doing this? I feel like at a good engineering school I should go there for all 4 years to get the best education possible. Is this not true? Besides missing out on "the best education" I feel like I might not be prepared for the higher level courses if I take lovely community college classes. Thoughts?

If the courses are approved by the engineering school at the four-year school to transfer than I doubt they are lovely. And, I don't think community college have a monopoly on lovely classes as I'm sure you will discover. It really just comes down to the professor when you're talking about basic math/science classes.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

huhu posted:

If this means anything, I failed Calculus 2 for Engineers at Rutgers and ended up taking it at community college over the summer. I got a 4.0 in the class at community college without studying at all. I literally learned nothing and didn't study but still got a 4.0 at community college.

How is it possible to learn "literally" nothing and still pass tests? Were there tests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

SneakySnake posted:

Does anyone know anything about Applied Engineering Technology?

I have a friend that works as a EET for a company that manufactures the machines that create processors/wafers/whatevers for Intel. His day-to-day seems to revolve entirely around making sure that machine doesn't break down, and fixing them when they do. Other than that, he browses the internet. He works lovely hours but gets paid pretty decently, at least $50k.

From what I've read, as a technologist you are a rung or so down from an engineer on the ladder and perform more routine and hands-on tasks.

However, at the engineering programs I've looked at you can get a four-year EET degree and, should you decide to solider on, do an extra year on top of that to become a full-on engineer. If your math isn't terribly strong and you aren't interested in doing design this maybe the role for you.