Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadula
May 7, 2004
Its not that I don't know you that I don't trust you its 'cause I do know you that I don't trust you.
I have a BSEE. During my undergrad I worked at Dow Chemical for a year total. (Co-op program) During that time I saved enough money and paid for school. I.e no bills. Then I got a job working for the Navy at Cherry Point NC. That job involved supporting the marines with all the helicopters and Jets they used. I lived on the beach and told people about how there aircraft worked. It was neat.

But there wasn't any women, and advancement just wasn't there. I then got a offer to come back to school and get my Masters and Phd. All paid for by the university. Specifically, I'm studying Electromagnetics and I'll be school for the next 4 years.

Plus side is I probably won't have to worry about money when I'm done, negative is I'm going to live poor for another 4 years.

Ask me any questions you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadula
May 7, 2004
Its not that I don't know you that I don't trust you its 'cause I do know you that I don't trust you.

Mongolian Squid posted:

I heard electromagnetics is the most challenging topic in EE, can you comment on this? What kind of research are you working on?

Yes its hard. Not going to lie. Multiply any math you learned in undergrad by at least 50. Its actually way more then just vector calc. There is alot of complex analysis in there. I've had to take like 3 or 4 extra math classes just to get on the same page.

Right now research is dealing with antennas. Namely conformal antennas. Can't go into details because its under a Air Force Research Lab grant. One colleague is working on meta-material antennas, another on Self-Sturcturing antenna that my professor pioneered.

Plus side is because it is more difficult that money and job placement is a non issue pretty much. My one colleague started well over 100k when he was all done. After school is done, I'll will probably work with the government doing research on antennas and modeling.

Anytime you deal with EM fields and such, it gets complicated because you are always working with a 3D field moving in space and time. And they interact with everything so modeling and solving the equations gets tricky very fast.

However I think I've taken to it because I don't mind math, and you get use to the difficulty after about 2 years of looking at the stuff constantly. Its certainly not for everyone, but if you got the stomach and have a good graduate program its not as huge of a deal as it sounds.