Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Realjones
May 16, 2004
I know I'm not the only person here who shares this sentiment: don't bother with bioengineering.

If you like biology/medical stuff and engineering go with chemical (or possibly mechanical) and take the upper level bioengineering courses as electives. You'll come out with the same knowledge base and be so much more rounded and marketable.

My degree is in bioengineering and I went to graduate school in a medical field so it didn't affect me at all, but I honestly took so much chemistry I was only one lab away from having a minor in it that I should have just gone chemical engineering from the start. BioE is such a big field that unless your school has detailed concentration paths you'll just be wasting your time.

Bioengineering is just taking other major's classes and subbing in body parts - bones and ligaments in place of bridges and trusses...it's the exact same concepts. You aren't missing anything (at least in the low level classes) by going with a different major. And again you can always take the good upper level bioe stuff as electives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Pfirti86 posted:

A lot of biomedical engineering departments discourage students from picking it up as an undergraduate degree unless they're planning on either going to graduate or medical school. It's just too new of a field.

Yes, it's really for those who KNOW they want to spend their lives doing biology related research (the lifelong student route) and/or are going to graduate school. For my class I believe over 70% went directly into some other higher secondary school (i.e. not into industry).

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Ryan_Rooker posted:

Thank you everyone for posting this, its really a nice encouragement for all the work. One thing I was wondering was if there was possibly anyone involved with prosthetics? If you are, do you know any fellow engineer in the field who are ME?

If you are more interested in the electronic side (stuff like making it move based on user input) go EE. If you are more interested in the physical design of it (like shock absorbency) go ME. Take the upper level biomechanics classes as electives.

Don't bother with Bioengineering, unless you want to know a little bit about both sides, but not be able to do anything with it.