Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I just graduated with an EE in June and am still looking for work. Part of the problem is that I'm not really interested in doing coding or QA, which is what a lot of engineers in my area (Vancouver) are doing these days. Most of my interest is in renewable energy, power systems, and EVs, although I'm open to any hardware work at this point. At some point I may have to settle for a QA or a technician position, but for now I'm still holding out for what I really want.

I'm currently a bit afraid of IT because it seems like something you could get stuck in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

How is everyone else finding the job search? The part that's been getting to me is how scarce the jobs are that I'm both even somewhat qualified for and vaguely interested in.

Is it just me or are 99% of EE and related jobs either senior-level-15-years or QA for business apps in loving Java.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

plester1 posted:

When I worked in a nanofab facility as an undergrad, they wouldn't let me do this step. I'm kind of glad because it sounds scary as hell.

We had an undergrad class where we got to use a fab, and tons of us handled the HF (under supervision of course). If you follow the safety rules, you can use it without any problems.

Also, teflon is certainly not the only thing that isn't dissolved by HF. Many plastics are rated for it, including some glove materials.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

spwrozek posted:

I pretty much disagree with the article...

I know many engineers on both ends of the spectrum and in the middle. I know no terrorist engineers. I guess we would have the "skills" needed?

Actually, I think engineers are more likely than the general population to have a die-hard adherence to one or more wacky beliefs (aren't engineers way more likely than you'd think to be creationists?). I guess you could think of it as the sperg effect.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

"Sorry, we have a hiring freeze."
"I'll be in grad school if you need me :("

Is the story of about 5 people I know.

Yeah, I guess I'm getting karmic justice for all those times I thought "heh good luck getting a job arts majors".

Honestly where do you branch out from electronics engineering? Software development jobs have always outnumbered hardware jobs around 10:1 in my city, and I'm not really a great coder, although I can do it well enough when need be.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

NativeAlien posted:

What was their work experience like prior to graduation?

Also the economy will be better in two years...right? Please?

Historically it's taken an average of about 4-5 years for employment to recover after a banking crisis, so...maybe.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

renzor posted:

I'll be 26 in a few months and I'm gearing up to go back to school to get my engineering degree. I've been doing consulting/drafting for a transportation engineering firm for several years and the head of the Eng Dept at the university I'm attending says my experience will help me secure a top-tier job after I'm finished :smug:.

Sarcasm and smugness aside, I'll be doing my first year at a smaller univ then transfer to UBC for my 2nd year onward. Anyone have any experience with UBC's engineering program? I'm heavily leaning towards it over UVic and SFU.

The SFU program is pretty good, but it's pretty much just electrical engineering so if you're looking for something else you'd be going to UBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I'm the only engineer at a very small and sales-oriented company that sells energy-saving technology to certain businesses. A big part of what I do is come up with estimates of how much we will save (based on an excel model that isn't terrible but that also isn't great) as well as analyze savings from buildings after retrofits are complete. I generally do my best to make the calculations reasonably accurate, although I am definitely generous with my assumptions for the savings estimates, and once or twice I have run the post-retrofit savings calculations with a couple different methodologies and then chosen whatever calculation produced the best result.

Despite that though, there is always some general tension, and sort of an implication that I have done something wrong if the savings aren't as high as the salespeople would like. Or to put it another way, that my job is to produce an attractive number rather than an accurate number. It seems like I'm the person where the sales BS meets reality, and it's definitely a cause of some stress. Not to mention the careful wording and spin I often have to use when speaking to clients.

Does anyone have experience dealing with issues like these in a sales-focused company?