Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

You eat requirements documents and poo poo out specifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

CatchrNdRy posted:

Personally, I'd go abroad just for the life experience , you will see and meet people and have awesome stories forever. Before I started full-time, I did a summer of volunteering abroad (I told work to move my start date 3 months later). And I don't regret missing one day of work.

I agree with this. Having interesting and out-of-the-ordinary experiences on your resume can help you stand out if you can find a way to relate it to your skills and knowledge during a job interview. I took a break from working to spend four months on the Appalachian Trail, and now I get recruiters emailing me with invites for interviews for engineering positions just because they want to hear more about the AT.

Just make the best of your time abroad. Don't piss it all away partying (though some partying is always advised).

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Shipon posted:

Speaking of studying abroad, would studying abroad at an engineering school with research opportunities available be a good way of knocking two birds out with one stone, so to speak? I've been weighing the same as a transfer student for my second year post-transfer, since I'm a bit older than the average student, but it sounds like both an interesting experience and a good way to do undergrad research at the same time.

Yes, absolutely. That sounds like a really good idea.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

A lot of recruiters just spam everyone on LinkedIn who looks remotely qualified. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I'm sure somewhere out there, there's someone who studied engineering in college and is now a "coffee engineer" or a "burger engineer" or something.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

At one of my old jobs, it was the same thing, except with dead prototype PCBAs.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I've worked at several companies in California and all of them paid interns between $15 and $20 an hour.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

Does anyone offer a "ruggedization" service?

I know that select phones/laptops/SOCs are available in rugged forms, but say I have a board with whatever dumb things on it. Is there a company that could take that board and quote me some kind of ruggedizing?

Is this a one-off thing, or a mass produced product? If it's one-off, just coat it in lots of hot glue and/or epoxy and put it in a waterproof box.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Have you looked on glassdoor?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Maybe they'll play a role, but that role should be minimized as much as possible, with a long term goal of 100% renewable energy. Anything else is just irresponsible and therefore bad engineering/public policy.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I am thoroughly enjoying the engineering ethics discussion going on here. Keep it up.

I intentionally went into the field of consumer electronics, and later pure web software, because I didn't want to be involved in developing anything that could have a real significant negative impact on people's lives. Given that, I still feel guilty about helping companies make products that are probably mostly in landfills by now.

If I was involved in the energy/mining industry, even if I knew that fossil fuels are pretty essential right now, I would still be working as hard as possible to eliminate their use as quickly as possible. Yes, they prop up our economy and they're cheaper than everything else, but that's a bullshit excuse. You're engineers. Solve the problem in a way that keeps economies healthy, humans healthy, and the planet healthy. You don't need to solve it NOW. Find a solution that can be phased in over decades or centuries and get on it instead of sitting around whining about solar power and wind power being unreliable. Don't be a bunch of shortsighted babies.

BeefofAges fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 13, 2014

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Olothreutes posted:

First point. Chernobyl, the "worst" nuclear disaster ever (except those bomb things, and various other incidents with medical isotope sources, etc) killed less than 100 people as of 2005. Total. Coal kills more people than that every month. I don't think you get to tout your portion of the energy sector as better than any other, especially without knowing the actual facts. Nuclear is scary to the general public, they don't want anything to do with it unless they've been educated about it, and accidents are very very very expensive to clean up. But they don't kill people the way coal does.

Comparing coal and nuclear power based only on direct deaths is absurd. We all know they both have a lot of other environmental side effects, regardless of which one might be worse than the other. Please don't bring us down to the TV news level of bullshit meaningless statistics.

BeefofAges fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 14, 2014

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

I would estimate that consumer electronics and web applications are destroying the social fabric and immediate family social interaction that makes humans great and probably have as large of a negative impact on quality of life as death by global warming. I also find that addicting children to free games that require money to accomplish goals pretty reprehensible. It is all a matter of perspective.

Sure, this is a valid perspective, and it's a healthy debate to have, even if you might just be trolling.

I don't work in games, but that's mostly because the gaming industry is terrible to its employees, so that's mostly irrelevant.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Olothreutes posted:

My effort wasn't to reduce us to that level, just to provide some insight on just how (not) bad Chernobyl was. He was claiming that direct deaths from long term coal burning wouldn't be as bad as Chernobyl, which is patently false. There are most definitely more issues that surround both of them.

Fair enough.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Is anyone here an EE doing embedded systems programming? I would be interested to hear your take on the pay/job prospects in the field.

I'm not in embedded systems anymore, but I can answer most questions you might have.

The pay and job prospects are excellent. Embedded systems as an industry is growing rapidly with no signs of slowing down. Almost anywhere that you see software interact with the real world requires embedded systems, and as time goes on we'll just see more and more of this sort of thing.

You won't have any trouble finding a job and you'll get paid very well, with good job security.

I got out of the industry because working with hardware is a drag (to me) and because most of the engineers I ran into were older engineers with no interest in modern technology. The fun, interesting, sexy stuff tends to be in the pure software industry (though there are plenty of exceptions to this rule).

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

You can find embedded systems work in most major cities, but it'll depend on what industries are present in the area - military contracting, aerospace, consumer electronics, etc.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I have several friends who have worked at SpaceX (and have all eventually left because it was destroying their lives). Be prepared for long hours, lots of stress, alcoholic coworkers, and not much work-life balance.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I put a notice on my LinkedIn page that I wasn't interested in moving to the SF Bay Area, and it has resulted in maybe 50% less messages from recruiters in that area. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Move back to Orange County you chump.

Nah, Santa Monica is pretty cool. All the interesting tech companies are here now.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, if you work in software or consumer electronics you'll generally never need any certifications at all.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

In my time as a test engineer I saw a few test lab techs move up into engineer positions, but it was definitely a struggle for them politically. They had the skills and education, but they really had to fight the bureaucracy to move up.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

movax posted:

Yeah, people sometimes treat techs like poo poo, which blows my mind. Sometimes I feel like it is analagous to the military where you have some shithead 2LT fresh out that doesn't know a drat thing making GBS threads on his NCOs because he can.

Good engineers involve techs early and listen to what they have to say, IMO.

Definitely. I'm out of the hardware industry now, so I don't work with techs anymore, but when I did, I always treated them as skilled and knowledgeable equals. Techs helped me way more than engineers ever did.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Most of the techs I've worked with had associates degrees or various computing certifications, but not a four year engineering degree. They do stuff like soldering and following test plans/procedures (but not writing/developing the test plans/procedures).

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Instead of matlab I do all of my math in ipython+pandas. Not sure how well that might work for EE or ME stuff, but it works great for the enormous datasets of car sales/transaction data I'm analyzing.

Here's an example of the sorts of stuff you can do: http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/jvns/talks/blob/master/pyconca2013/pistes-cyclables.ipynb

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

While you're all here dickwaving, all the real engineers are out there getting real work done.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Do something subtle that irreparably kills the computer?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

"What requirements did we forget to consider for the last project?"

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Xeom posted:

What sort of advice do you guys have for someone about to start their first engineer job.

Just chill, you're expected to be 100% useless for a good while. Ask questions if you don't know what's going on. Listen carefully when people are talking. Don't get drunk at work.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

spwrozek posted:

FWIW I expect my new engineers to jump right in and do design work. I expect them to ask a lot of questions and probably royally mess up but after my review, comments, and coaching I expect they know it. They will have designs out in the field within the first couple months.

Nothing like a little trial by fire.

Oh, for sure. I have my interns/new grads start trying to write tests (I work in test automation) pretty much right away, but a test that would take me an hour to write would usually take them a lot longer, even with a lot of hand holding. I suppose 100% useless is a bit of an exaggeration, but I wouldn't want freshly hired newbies to get stressed out because they don't feel especially productive right away.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I took a year off to travel and then returned to working. It was totally worth it. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Atlassian Confluence is pretty decent for document management.