Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Said a guy in my office, "engineers generate paper. Thats what we do" :what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Shao821 posted:

Wanna know why he got so boring? Probably has something to do with action items, project schedules, and DO-178.

As I mentioned earlier, an engineer's real job is producing paperwork.

....which is why I'm actively looking to get back into academia.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

grover posted:

Every promotion just makes it worse and worse.

Yup. All the higher-ups, who may have once been engineers, are now completely detached from any technical activities and do nothing but project management and dreadfully boring regulatory compliance type stuff. As someone deeply interested in the sciences, I just can't bare the thought of losing my technical edge.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Mr Crumbbley posted:

Well I just switched my major to Energy Engineering, so any one here have experience with it? It sounds interesting, but I don't know much about it. I switched to it because I couldn't get into Civil Engineering. I don't like that I'll have to be doing way more Chemistry and Thermo, but I guess that's the way it's gonna be.

Why would you switch to something that you don't know much about?

Does Energy Engineering put you on a particular career path?

If the answer is "no" or "I don't know", then why are you taking it?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

T.H.E. Rock posted:

One worked at a medical device company briefly, but they only had him going through documentation.

This is a huge part of engineering ya know.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Zo posted:

Like you said, BME just doesn't have enough cross-disciplinary skills to be considered for a lot of jobs. We only had a biomechanics option for the ME kids, no dedicated program.

Argh. Its not how many jobs can I get with degree X, its does degee X help me get the job I want.

When are engineers going to learn this.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

My current job title is "System Developer" and I'm having trouble summarizing this role on my resume (I'm looking to leave my current job as I'm not particularly happy with the current work environment).

It's a very over-arching role that involves having knowledge of pretty much all the bits and pieces of the product, and importantly, the underlying theoretical basis of its operation. In a day to day sense I've been involved in tasks as low-level as embedded programming and board layouts to high-level work like writing design specs, developing algorithms, and data analyses.

I'm struggling with finding succinct, impactful wording to describe this role. Does anyone else with a similar such role have some clever wording they've used?

(oh, and since this in the engineering thread, I'm an electrical engineer)

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I can't actually use the "engineer" term as I don't have my P.Eng. (engineer is a protected title here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Thoguh posted:

If that's the case the 'System Developer' title might already be your best bet.

It's not the title I'm concerned about, but rather how to describe the responsibilities succinctly on a resume.