Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP

Necc0 posted:

If you are just an average engineer you're probably going to be making 50+ thousand right off the bat, and it's unreal. I was used to having zero money all through college and cutting corners just to pay bills and feed myself, then suddenly you're making way more.

I found this to be very true.

I picked up a degree in Computer Engineering, and ended up working at a company helping repair, maintain, and retrofit their CNC machines to use newer computers and newer software.

I am not quite sure how they found me because I didn't even apply for the job. They just called me up and said that they heard I was good at fixing things. The variety of work is amazing, and the pay is very nice.

I do software (writing post processors and CAD work), hardware (rewiring the machines, soldering together new interface boards), and physical repair work on the machines (replacing motors, etc). I am also doing all their IT style work (VPN setup, computer maintenance).

I didn't do any official internships during college, but I did do all kinds of odd computer jobs for people in various forms of industrial work starting back in middle school. I am guessing someone probably mentioned my name to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU