Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Dukkha posted:

Any advice for a mechanical engineering grad with a BS? I graduated in 07 and took the first job I was offered which was for a position as a patent examiner and worked there for about a year and a half.

I never took the EIT and worry that I may never be able to having been out of school for as long as I have.

I had two solid internships with a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant and have what I think is valuable experience teaching Pro/E as a teaching assistant in the ME department back in school.

My grades were not great, my overall gpa was just over 2.9/4.0 but my so called engineering gpa is a bit better at 3.3/4.0.

I lost my job as a patent examiner some time ago, (I technically quit, but I didn't have any choice, it is a long messy story involving a discrimination case I felt I had against my supervisor which did not go well for me, and I'm rather bitter about the entire experience, but of course I don't let this come through at all when writing cover letters, or dealing with professionals in the few emails I've had with potential employers).

My job search has been utterly depressing I've had zero call backs in almost 6 months of applying for jobs every day. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I am beginning to feel very under qualified for even entry level positions despite the experience I have.

I'd like to get a job as a design engineer, but I really don't understand what I could be doing differently or better to improve my employability.

Have you tried the oil and gas industry? Lots of the service companies are looking for design engineers. Try Rigzone.com, nov.com, halliburton.com, bakerhughes.com, schlumberger.com, smith.com, weatherford.com, etc. You'd likely have to move to Houston, but a job is a job, and there are always chances to move elswhere and internationally once you get on with a company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Dukkha posted:

I appreciate the suggestions.

I have applied to Schlumberger and Shell in the past, but I never got further than the initial phone interview. This was right after I graduated however, so I will take another look and re-apply in the morning.

Not to disrespect oil & gas or military contractors if that is your chosen field but my beliefs and morals (which are quickly being thrown out the window) tend to lean a bit left. I'm sure most the ME's in this thread work in the mil. industrial complex or oil & gas in some manner or another, since these industries seem to be where the smart money is lately, but I would rather not IF I had an alternative.

Any suggestions for a liberal, environmentally conscious mechanical engineer? lol

Or... beggars can't be choosers, stfu Dukkha, go put your degree to work building the next moab.

*edit* I really hope I haven't offended anyone by stating my preferences, some of my best and most respected friends work or have worked for Halliburton, Lockheed and Northrop.

I understand, just remember that not everyone is an ultra right wing.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

orinth posted:

I'm a EE with 3 years experience and I can't find a loving job. I don't know how new grads are doing it, because I'm seeing hardly any entry level jobs.

What sucks is, I went into a small field, RF Engineering (not circuits, but telecommunications). I really LOVE what I do, but I feel like I'm screwed. With how my job situation panned out, most of my experience has been on GSM (2G) systems and not on UMTS (3G). I have some training and do study 3G systems, but I don't have any "hands on" experience. Most jobs in my field want the relevant 3G experience now, so I apply and get interviews, but there are more qualified people than myself unfortunately. So I get no where on that.

I've spent the last 5 months applying for other EE jobs, but they ALL want at least 2 years experience in some specialty. At this point I would do almost anything, since I'm unable to collect unemployment and have been living off my savings which is almost gone.

Next week, I'm starting to work in retail again selling phones (what I did in college) for the holiday season just to get some money coming in.

Try oil and gas service companies. Good website to try is rigzone.com. They love EEs.