Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Aerospace Engineer here who uses calculus every day. :toot:

All you engineers that say you never need any of the stuff you learned in school are doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Trench_Rat posted:

real engineers how do you feel about train drivers and engine room workers aboard ships being allowed to call them self engineers?
I don't mind them so much, because they are actually working with engines, so it works from a literal point of view. And I don't even mind "sanitation engineers" and "sandwich engineers", because everyone knows that's euphemistic bullshit. I don't think "software engineers" are engineers, but they are professionals with a skill, so it doesn't really bother me.

The one that does bother me is "audio engineer". Not the people working on designing sound systems or whatever. They're fine. I'm talking about the jackasses on radio shows that splice in on-the-fly sound effects, and screen callers, and maybe, maybe twist a few potentiometers for volume or bass levels.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

seo posted:

do abet schools have a transfer policy?
I have a BS and an MS in Aerospace Engineering from an ABET school, as well as four years of work experience. I just started up at another ABET school this semester in Electrical Engineering for another MS. Getting credit for even undergrad pre-reqs was a goddamn nightmare. I had to go through my adviser, a professor, the EE department student coordinator, and finally to the dean just to get an exemption for a bullshit freshman-level "logic" class. And even then, it was only because I threatened to drop out completely, and they knew that I was a cash cow for them, since my employer is paying the tuition. There were three other pre-req classes that they wouldn't budge on, even though I did very similar classes while doing my Aero degrees. So I'm taking them this semester. I show up only to turn in homework and take exams.

I hear my experience is not unusual for my particular school. They want you to take as many classes as possible, for as many semesters as possible, because you are nothing but a source of revenue for them, and they don't give a poo poo about you wasting years of your life.

But other schools are probably better. I guess all of this was a round-about way of saying "it depends". It was nice to vent, though.