Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

This may or may not be the right place to post this question (and if not, please feel free to tell me to gently caress off) but I’m an elder student making a career change at 39 :stare:. I’m enrolled in a transfer program for BSEE which I’ve really just started—reviewing some math, taking and getting back into the swing of academics.

I’m taking an intro to engineering programming course this summer and I’m going to do a codecademy course in my downtime to learn some concepts.

I’m trying to decide what language to delve into just to start learning and, while im leaning toward python, I figured I’d get some input from you guys as to what might be most useful to get started.

I’m trying to be as targeted as possible because, let’s face it, at this age I’ve really got to get it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Popete posted:

What are you wanting to learn programming for? What area of EE do you think you're interested in? I would say if you're going to be an EE and want to work in something like embedded systems it would be handy to know Python/Bash to be able to write your own basic test scripts. For example writing a script that reads and dumps a bunch of registers from a device across an I2C bus.

Frankly I’m still learning how much it is that I don’t know but my interest is probably in the green energy power generation/distribution direction. A lot of the job opportunities around here are embedded systems and manufacturing, so obviously that is subject to change.

I know this is all very general but I figured y’all would have insight.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Holy moly thanks for all the effort posts.

After reading through all this I think I’ll probably tuck into python just to get my legs under me. I’ve got a raspberry pi I’ve been planning on messing around with as well.

I haven’t done any coding since my senior year of high school, compiling simple programs in Pascal lol. Mostly I just want to get the basics back and learn some structure so I’m not walking into a programming course with no frame of reference, but I also wanted to make sure I didn’t sink time into something that may not apply later.

Thanks again everyone.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

How did you guys settle into your respective specialties? Did you walk into uni with a goal, or find niche interests during your educational course?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

A) It’s fun to see all your answers, as folks deep in the industry, from the eyes of a veteran healthcare worker going to school at 40 to become an EE. Lots of the gripes and apathy mirror my opinions of my current field.

B) I also wanted to get an idea of what drew you guys in and if you had outside interests that you were looking to pursue beforehand or if you found serendipitous interests while working through your courseloads. Mostly because I do not have a technical background and have little in the way of pet projects or specific interests that sucked me in.

I’m getting close to my “third year” (I transferred in gen ed requirements from long ago, but I’m going part time at the moment) and considering the idea of internships and where I’ll sort of find a spark of inspiration to specialize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thanks all for telling me about your path to your career specialties.

I lost this thread somehow (caught up in schoolwork really)—but it was nice to see that not all of you walked in with hobbyist interests in your field. I’m 40 and just surrounded by either older guys like me working on a second career (or a first real one) or 19yo Musk acolytes who want to change the world and have limitless free time and “a plan.”

Besides all the requisite impostor syndrome I’m dealing with by not knowing all the math like second nature and having to actually wrestle with the material (past Calc 2 anyway), I often feel like maybe I’m way behind by not knowing where I want to end up.