Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
/

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

grover posted:

So, you're a computer programmer engineering student and haven't even graduated yet... why are you posting in this thread?

Because I've done real work as an engineer and am set to graduate in the spring. That's why. Is striking out programmer supposed to be an insult or something? I'm not really sure.

quote:

BTW, don't expect to be handed a $50k job the day after graduation, it doesn't quite work like that. You might get lucky if your internship pans out, but despite complaints by employers of how hard it is to hire engineers, you'll fine the same is true of engineers trying to find good jobs.

I'm going off of statistics of average salaries paid to graduates in my field from my school; the 50k is a conservative one. I already have three job offerings in various locations around the country so I'm not too worried.

Action_Bastard posted:

Actually I've seen a lot of engineers and IOE's especially go get their MBA and do very well with it. If you asked them, I don't think they'd tell you it was the easy route. Yes to grover though, I've seen a bunch of investment banks on campus recruiting engineers just because we think analytically, and so aren't prone to some of the same kinds mistakes that other majors might make when put into management positions. Of course, we're prone to other mistakes.

Definitely. An engineering degree opens up a lot of options even if you don't want to ultimately get an engineering job. I think our biggest weakness is knowledge in the social fields, such as writing, politics, etc. We're all a bunch of nerds though so is it really that surprising?

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 2, 2009

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Namarrgon posted:

This is pretty much true for a physics major. Except replace debugging a circuit by trying to figure out what the hell is happening in your interference pattern let alone derive an equation for it.

Your :smug: arrogance :smug: increases with your years as well.

You physics majors are insane and I don't know how you do it. If I was smarter that'd definitely be the major I chose.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

permabanned posted:

This is what worries me a little, it is said that the foundries/IP/EDA market has shrunk by 13% on average this year, so how I am going to find a job in Computer engineering now?

shrinking does not mean that people are not hiring. get a few internships under your belt while you're still in college with a respectable GPA and you're fine.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

barking frog posted:

Personally, I worked as a co-op for 8 months at GE as a hardware intern and that's when I decided EE was totally not for me.

I did an internship with GE as well and can tell you that it's probably because working at GE loving sucks

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Slumpy posted:

Has anyone here been horrible at math and decided to become an engineer? How did that work out?

If you're thinking of going into engineering but bad at math, don't be surprised if you fail out. I've seen some people pull it off, but it's rare.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Magnificent Quiver posted:

The point is to learn math, not be good at it already. You can start off an engineering curriculum with Calc 1 if you want to.

When I said 'bad at math' I meant not really getting mathematical concepts in general. Some people just can't understand that stuff just like I can't paint or write poetically for poo poo.

But yeah you could probably start even as early as Trig if you knew that you were determined.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

CatchrNdRy posted:

Its more accurate to characterize the "engineering work experience" by industry rather than by major.

This is true. If anyone has any questions about computer science/engineering feel free to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Cicero posted:

Good idea, this is a much better thing to say than my real reason: "It pays well for an on-campus job and half the time I'm getting paid to do homework."

Remember that a job interview is one of the few times where it's completely acceptable to be a braggart with an ego the size of the room. That's the point. You're trying to convince these guys that they should hire you instead of the other people they're looking at.

You have a decent GPA with tutoring experience which says 'not only do I actually understand this stuff well enough to qualify being a tutor, but I can actually communicate these ideas and techniques to others!" No matter how much nerds will hate it being a decent programmer with good communication skills is a thousand times better than being an excellent programmer who has the social skills of a rock.

You should be fine.