Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
What's a bad GPA for engineers? Mine is a B- but I pick things up pretty fast, have a good personality, and have had a relevant internship (mostly just doing QA.) I'm worried when I start applying for jobs in December my GPA will just screw me, but hopefully a B- isn't all that bad.

Does anyone have experience applying across nation for jobs, right out of college, instead of their surrounding areas? I've been trying to figure out the best way to do this but the only thing I can think of is flying over and driving up the coast, hitting job fairs along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Almost everyone at my school says that getting a bachelors in biomed is worthless and we run the #1 biomedical undergraduate program. Most people here get it to impress med schools or to pave the way for their masters/phd. I've heard it's incredibly tough trying to get a job with just a BME bachelor's degree and most of them end up wishing they had just chosen to major in whatever specialization they had chosen for their BME (EE, ME, etc.)

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

I have the same trouble but I've never heard this explanation. I've had trouble with this type of stuff since I was a kid though so I don't think it's a product of training.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

huhu posted:

Would anyone happen to have any idea why a professor would require only pen for homework? My mechanical properties of materials professor is doing this and it sucks.

The only time I've seen this is to prevent cheating after the fact. Say you fail some homework assignment and then erase your wrong answer, replace it, and go up to him to argue your grade.

I'm a pretty messy writer so I always do my work in pencil on some side sheet and if I'm required to use pen then I'll write up a new copy in pen after I've completed the assignment.

A way around this entire mess is to just hand in printed homework but some professors don't even allow that :(

Edit: Oh man! Beaten and a new page.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

You might want to do some credit calculations to see if you'll fulfill your requirements in 4 years or 5 if you're doing that. At JHU you wouldn't graduate in 5 years taking 12 credits a semester unless you took some summer classes and you'd be 30 credits off of graduating in 4 years at 12 credits a semester. Also scheduling can become a problem as maybe in your senior year your last writing class will conflict with an engineering course...

Just make sure you're not screwing yourself, basically :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

dxt posted:

I graduated in may with a 2.8, not great but I should be able to find something. I've been applying all over the country every day since july.

I'm in nearly the same situation as you but I have a temp IT job which is paying my bills for a little while. Hang in there man :hfive: