Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Working as an EE in a role that consults with a lot of other EE positions at different companies, every company right now is laying people off. Every company is also hiring and desperately understaffed. Raises and bonuses aren't coming in but it's also really easy to job hop. It's the weirdest market I've ever been in.

My specific experience with Power and Utilities though is mostly limited to helping with timing, communication, and control protocol for the last decade.

Not a Children posted:

In an owner's side facilities design group - we've been looking for an EE/PE for 7 months and have gotten so little traction that we're considering training up drafters. Not at a utility personally but I've worked with 'em and as far as I can tell for big-wire stuff they just need warm bodies before the greybeards retire and die with their decades of institutional knowledge

Retirements seem to be the existential threat to my industry. Seemingly drat near anyone who can do the work goes into software eventually since it pays better for mostly less effort and no companies are doing worth a drat at training new people up. I can only see the market getting much tighter in the future but that will probably be used as an excuse to open up more visas instead of raising wages. I personally know 2 CEOs who think that "AI" will somehow get them out of the mess if they can just keep their R&D departments from collapsing in the next 5-8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU