Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy
Hey Guys,

I'm currently on the end of my 3rd year of a Computer Engineering degree, and really, I'd either like to work in Astrospace or the Defence industry. Unfortunately I'm Canadian. I love Canada and all, but we really don't have that much of a market in these fields, and I expect it to be rather difficult to get a company to sponsor me in the States.

Thankfully, before doing my engineering degree I did a 3 year CS program at Cegep, which I guess is similar to your college, and i've been working as a programmer for 3 years now while doing my degree. I'm hoping this will help give me a bit of an edge when applying to companies, but I wanted to know if anyone has heard of companies sponsoring people to come down for these more delicate (security wise) fields of study. Stupid imaginary line, we're not so different up here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005

CatchrNdRy posted:

It will be difficult to impossible to work for the American divisions of a aerospace corporation without US citizenship. But most have multi-national divisions anyway, so you could look into that.

I figured this was probably the end result. I had already looked into the possibility of trying to get a Green Card, and eventually Citizenship, but that would take quite a while. I've looked into Defence research in Canada and I need a master's in engineering, so I suppose I'll just have to continue with school after. I like research though so I guess a master's won't be so bad.

To all the engineers with Master's degrees in this thread, what's the course load like for an Engineering Masters? I have one friend from high school doing one in Electrical Engineering and he has 3 courses right now and his next semester is research. I wouldn't mind doing a Master's if it wasn't as intensive course wise as right now, but having rushed 3 years into 2 physical years while working has sort of drained my will. I just want things to slow down.

EDIT: just for content, after this semester (December) I'll have 91.5 credits out of 120, which works out to 8 courses and my project left.

Cypress fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 21, 2009

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005
So wait, all you guys got the Calculus courses credited along with the physics courses, towards your degree?

I had to take those all as prerequisites for the program. (For reference: I needed Cal 1, 2, Linear Algebra, Physics 1, 2 and 3, and Chemistry 1, before coming to university)

Is the engineering program longer than 4 years else where? (Or should I say, more than 120 credits?) Or do we just get screwed with other courses that you never need to take.

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005

SubCrid TC posted:

I just looked mine up. We required 155 credit hours over 4 years. So our program apparently just squeezed more in. I don't know why you'd design your program so that everyone has to take a bunch of prerequisites when you know they don't have them out of high-school. Just design them into the program.

Thoguh posted:

Where are you from? In the US, none of those classes are "high school" level. A lot of college track kids might have a few of them (Calc 1, a semester of physics or chem) through AP classes or going through the local community college, but no program would expect you to have any of those before you step foot on campus.

Or did you mean that your university doesn't allow students to declare an engineering major until after freshman year? Because then those pre-reqs would make a lot more sense.

I probably should have mentioned that i'm in Quebec where we have Cegep. That's where our whole pre-requisite courses thing comes in. Sorry about that. I really just wanted to see if those courses counted towards the 120 we do in this degree, but if yours is more credits, that probably explains it.

Also, for the grad school engineers in here, is it worth it to take a PhD? I've been looking into grad school, and i've recently had my world rocked when I found out you don't actually need a masters to do a PhD, it always seemed like you did. I really love doing projects on my own outside class (when I actually have time, this semester is pretty brutal) and I'd probably enjoy doing my own research as opposed to helping someone else with their research in a master's program.

Right now i'm contacting professors at my university to see about undergraduate research possibilities, and i'm already a programmer in the industry* so I have work experience, but if I go for PhD I expect their standards for admission to be higher and I want to be sure the time it takes is worth it. I love research, but I'd like to sleep some day too.

*For those considering working a lot while doing an undergrad I would recommend against it. I've been doing 16-40hour weeks depending on what my schedule at school looks like and really, a lot of that is time I could be doing more homework/studying. Because of this my GPA is down to 2.82 but I plan on having it back up by the end of next semester since that's when I start my technical electives and have a little more free time. On the plus side, I'll graduate with over 4 years experience in the field (Computer Engineering does programming too, so it's related)

**Oh, and don't rush the degree, I started September 2007, and i'm finishing my 3rd year of courses this semester. And I did an internship (really, it was credits to do my job that I already had). Pushing 3 years of school into two is kind of brutal. In the end I don't get to finish any faster since I have my year-long project, but I will have a reduced course load allowing me to do undergraduate research, or take other courses and boost my GPA.

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005

Kid Awesome posted:

Thanks for the advice so far. I should clarify what I mean by the lab kit I bought, it was for the lab portion of my class. Not a kit to build something at home with.

Protoboard
Wire Cutter
Wire Stripper (though I can't seem to find where the hell I put them :\ )
Screw Driver
Alligator, Banana, BNC cables

Cheap bastards couldn't even throw in some wires and resistors :argh: So its not a lab kit with handy things to make, its just some barebones equipment for the lab portion in class.

I guess what I'm looking for in a nutshell is something like a erector set like kit with a focus on electrical fun. With details, showing the math/engineering principles behind certain aspects. Does this make sense at what I'm getting at? Something that shows the basics and how to apply them in a practical manner. Seems like one would get a better understanding of the principles if they were able to put them into use, rather then doing practice problems out of a book.

Also gently caress Thevenin and Norton :argh: Why can't the whole test just be Nodal/Mesh analysis.

I personally haven't tried these but they always looked kind of fun: The "(whatever) for the evil genius" project books.

http://www.amazon.com/Brad-Graham/e/B001I9TWTM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Really I should do them some day, but they're lower on the list than a bunch of my other projects. I still have my book on tesla coils waiting to be put to practice.

Also: Thevenin and Norton are easy, one is in series with a voltage source, the other in parallel with a current source.

Cypress fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 9, 2009

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005

BeefofAges posted:

VLSI is but one part of the design process. You have to remember that all of these computery majors encompass dozens of different fields and specializations.

Depending on what you want to do, you might find computer engineering job listings at all of the major computer component manufacturers (AMD, Intel, NVidia, Seagate, Western Digital, HP, Samsung, Toshiba, Hitachi, Apple, etc.) or at one of the millions of smaller companies you can find if you look carefully. Embedded systems especially seem to often be developed by small specialized companies.

VLSI was probably my favorite course that I've taken. Not only did we get to learn about it, but the teacher was awesome. We had a project in that course to design a 4-bit multiplier... from the transistor level up until everything besides fabrication. Unfortunately, the software we were using only allows us to go down to the 0.5 micro level, so it wasn't as modern as the new transistors, but laying out your own n-wells and p-wells, then doing the metals and stuff was actually super interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cypress
Sep 23, 2005
I had a question for Canadian Engineering Goons.

From what I understand, to be considered an engineer in Canada, I need to get my P.Eng. Now this isn't such a big deal because I planned on doing it anyways. But before I do that, I need to work directly under an engineer (with their P.Eng) that can attest to my work as a Jr. Engineer as far as I understand. To get to the status of Jr. Engineer I have to apply to whatever my provinces engineering society is (i'm in Quebec right now so it's OIQ), get approved and then get the title.

The two things i'm wondering are: 1) I'm currently working as a programmer, which is part of the computer engineering field, thanks to my computer science degree. Now I know the senoir programmer at my company has a degree in Civil Engineering, but i'm not sure if he ever got his P. Eng. (I plan on asking him next time I see him). I was wondering if there may be a chance my work experience can be applied towards my time as a Junior Engineer (or at least some of it) even though I don't yet have my Bachelors?

The second is, if I do my P. Eng in Quebec, where it takes 2 years of experience before I can write the exam, and then I go West (or South to the States, though I don't know their requirements) where it takes 4 years experience, will it still be recognized? I'd assume yes since i'd have already passed the exam, but I just want to know what some of you think.

Thanks guys, this thread is awesome.