Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

grover posted:

I've never heard of either. How are the football teams?

I don't know, but the Cooper Union Ballroom Dancing club is looking to have a stellar season this year - http://www.cooper.edu/~gee/ballroom/home.html

hobbesmaster posted:

Olin gets a bunch of press every once in a while in the trade magazines about how its the future of engineering schools with its project based curriculum, yadda, yadda.

Well, there was a flurry of news about it when it opened, then a bit when they finally got accreditation. Sort of an interesting paradigm, though I doubt it'll actually replace traditional engineering curriculum anytime soon.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

I am back again with a couple quick questions for you guys regarding my quest to return to school to study EE or Comp E.

How much do undergrad school rankings matter for each of the following situations:
-Getting an internship/co-op during school
-Getting a job directly coming out of school
-Getting into graduate school

Undergraduate rankings are really not as critical of a thing as some would believe, especially if your plans are to go to graduate school. So long as the school you're applying to has heard of your university, you're probably fine on that count. I went to a top-ten graduate school with people from ALL sorts of undergrad backgrounds, from MIT and Yale to third and fourth-tier public and private schools you've never heard of. What I discovered was that where you went to undergrad often had nothing to do with how good you were as a grad student (in terms of getting through your quals, publishing research, etc.), and I think that faculty realize that too.

Now, there are some schools that are better known and connected than others when it comes to jobs and internships. For example, a Stanford engineering undergrad might have an easier time finding an internship at a hot company than a Trine University engineering undergrad (have you ever heard of Trine?). Schools tend to have certain connections, and those can be important. Kids who go to MIT/CalTech/Stanford/Ivies (not really great engineering besides Princeton and Cornell, but an Ivy degree almost always sets you apart) will always be treated a little better than those who go to the vast majority of engineering programs, but it's not like it's such a disparity that you shouldn't go at all.

Kids at those schools will also likely have better undergraduate research experiences, which ARE VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU WANT TO GO TO GRADUATE SCHOOL (of course, by 'graduate school' I'm talking about PhD programs, not masters). I'd say that's the biggest advantage to going to a name school for undergrad if your goal is graduate school. If people know who your letter writers are (because they're badass scientists with a lot of publications and clout to their names) it can open doors just as much as a solid GPA can.

Personally, if I met a kid who went to University of Wisconsin-Madison undergrad for chemical engineering, I might have a bit more respect for him over someone who went to, say, Ohio State or LSU. But not a ton.

quote:

Further, how much do graduate school rankings matter for getting a job?

Grad rankings are a bit more important for certain fields, but not so much for others. For example, go to any top-ten chemical engineering department faculty list. Noticing any trends? You'll see a lot of faculty from the same schools: MIT, CalTech, Berkeley, Minnesota, Princeton, Delaware, Wisconsin-Madison, UIUC, and Stanford. Sure there will be some from not-so-big-name programs in there, but the majority are going to come from other top-ten/fifteen engineering schools. So yeah, rank seems to be important if your goal is to become a professor at a top R1 school.

For other fields, it can still matter, but it won't be quite as important. What REALLY matters when it comes to a graduate career is your adviser. Your adviser's reputation and quality of research is EXTREMELY important when it comes to applying for jobs. His or her connections are what you will need once you start to write your dissertation and finally leave school. You could go to MIT but have an awful relationship with a new faculty member (who may not be so famous yet, and might not even get tenure) and leave a bitter person, or you can go to Purdue (a good school but not top-ten) and have a MUCH stronger experience with a tenured and well-known adviser you get along with. Or maybe you DO find that perfect guy at Princeton and have a great time; the important point here is that adviser trumps school every time. Your adviser gives you resources and guidance in your dissertation, gives you projects, helps you publish in journals that get your work out there, and will be critical in finding you work.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Professional Society like AIChE (American Institute of Chemical Engineers or somesuch)? I'll look into that, too.

For what it's worth, I don't really know yet if I'm passionate for ChE or engineering at all for that matter. It's pretty much my major now because I'm good at chemistry and, provided I can get a job, will pay well with just a B.S.

edit: also, that project club poo poo is for nerds :c00lbutt:

You should try to be involved with AIChE while you're a still an undergrad; it gets wicked expensive once you graduate.

I didn't do a lot of 'club' things when I was in undergrad chemE either. If you have a lot of free time, maybe you should think about doing undergraduate research (if the opportunity is available). It'll look good on your resume, give you some actual skillz, and introduce you to other students and faculty who could recommend you later (and who knows, you might even get a paper or something out of it). A 3.65 is a decent GPA, but it's not like you're killing yourself studying or something? Undergrad research would look better than any random club you join, and you don't need ANY research experience going in to it (typically). In my lab, we look at students' GPAs first when we decide whether we want to take on an undergrad or not, and yours would easily get past the 'smell' test.

Edit: Chemical engineering isn't really about chemistry that much, funny enough. Wait till you take reactor design as you become the master of A + B => C. Who cares what A, B, and C are as long as you can make money! I hope you enjoy thermo and fluid mechanics.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 3, 2010

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I'm not even sure if my school offers undergrad research for ChemE's - I just always figured their alternative to that was Co-Op'ing. I'll definitely look into that as well as ask my adviser about our AIChE chapter here.

Do you go to a school where faculty do research and hire graduate students? Some schools have no faculty doing research and zero graduate programs, so if this is the case then please disregard my suggestion.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

fatlightning posted:

I will be a junior next year working on a civil engineering degree. I need to make a decision about where to work next summer pretty quickly. I have two job offers; one of them is in my hometown where all my family and friends live. It is working for DOT collecting and analyzing traffic data. It pays around $20/hour, but I'd be lucky to work more then 40 hours a week. I did this job for half of last summer, it is completely stress free and very easy(state job).

The other offer is with a construction company in my state. I live in Alaska so and they mainly work in remote villages all over the state. I don't know where I would be sent yet, but it will be at least 500 miles away from home and I wouldn't really have a chance to leave until the end of summer. It also pays around $20/h, but they pay for housing and food, plus they work 6-12s so I would make a ton in overtime. I would be a project engineer, which I think is the engineers right hand man so I would do his paperwork most likely.

Does anyone have experience working in remote locations for three months or more at a time? I really cannot decide which would be better for me, while it would be nice making a ton of money this summer, it would also suck being away from my girlfriend, friends and family for so long.

I agree with the previous poster. This should be about where you want your career to go. Which of these jobs will give you better experience towards finding a job when you graduate? Which will give you better references and contacts?

Have you ever left your home state or worked far away before? I remember my first internship was all the way in Louisiana; I'm from northern Indiana. It was a great experience living in a completely different part of the country, I became more independent, and helped prepare me a lot for eventually moving to the East Coast for graduate school. The experience of working far from where you're comfortable is a good one (even if it's in your home state, Alaska is huge).

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

seo posted:

do abet schools have a transfer policy?

Do you mean 'will they take all the credit I earned?' I don't know if there is a formal one or not, but when I transferred from one ABET school to another I lost some credit. Mostly because there weren't equivalent classes, or I had two classes merged into one. It wasn't much of a big deal though, I still graduated on time.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Qwertyiop25 posted:

I understand what you're saying but I saw some things in earlier pages about people who majored in Biological Engineering having trouble getting jobs. Right now I'm mostly between ChemE and CompSci or Computer Engineering. What kind of jobs would I be looking at with these degrees?

I'm working on a PhD in chemical engineering, so I can tell you a little about that. Chemical engineers do all sorts of things, but the bread-and-butter of our trade is process engineering. Basically, this is the task of figuring out how to make large amounts of commodity chemicals with giant reactors, then figuring out how to separate your product out from all the side reactants/umwanted stuff/etc, optimizing everything so that your plant makes a profit. With a bachelor's degree, you'll likely get stuck on a unit operation somewhere and be told to improve its efficiency by 1% or something. Big industries people go into include food, chemical commodities (such as sulfuric acid or ammonia or something), oil refining, plastics, consumer products, pharmaceuticals, etc.

If you go to graduate school though, the field branches out to all sorts of research areas. I do a lot of biotech stuff, others work hard on energy, material science, pure chemistry, etc. It's a great field with a wide amount of material. Our lab does everything from materials science to pure synthetic chemistry to cell biology. All sorts of neat techniques in basically all fields of natural science.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Thoguh posted:

Getting an internship is more important than getting a 4.00. Given two cantidates, one that has a 3.4 and a few summers or semesters of internship experience, and one with a 4.00 who never ventured outside the classroom, we're much more likely to invite the 3.4 guy in for an interview.

The 4.00 guy/gal is more than likely going to go to graduate or medical school anyways, and probably doesn't care about getting any industrial experience. The disinterest is likely mutual.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 27, 2011

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Has anybody here joined Tau Beta Pi? I got invited to some informational session. Is it worthwhile to join and stick on your resume? I'm skeptical because I assume it doesn't really tell anybody anything that GPA alone wouldn't.

I joined it, but I can't say I exactly got a ton out of it. I mean, I guess I get a magazine sometimes which can have decent articles. Like you say, your resume should indicate your GPA already, and anyways no one is going to care about any of your honor societies once you get your first job and work for a while.

I do know that some chapters are really active, so I guess if you're looking for a bit of camaraderie it can't hurt to join? The guy in charge of the chapter at University of Michigan keeps asking if I want to join with them in stuff, and I kept tell them to knock it off with the emails. Grad school is already enough work.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Thoguh posted:

At my company, when we review resumes for internships/co-ops and also for new hires, we score prospects three areas

-Experience
-Grades
-"Leadership/Teamwork

I've mentored multiple undergraduates in multi-year long projects. I also work collaboratively on projects across departments and universities with other researchers. Should I bring that up under 'leadership and teamwork'?

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

thenickmix posted:

How do companies verify that you actually graduated from whatever university you claim on your resume and/or what GPA you claim you obtained?

As already mentioned, usually a company will ask for an official transcript. Lately though, more than a few places have started asking people to bring in their physical diplomas for inspection. This is a problem for me as one of mine is in Latin, so there's a good chance I'd have to get it translated and then get said translation certified by a public notary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Frinkahedron posted:

I know two people who did/are doing the ME+EE route. The guy who finished his did it in 4 years and had a large amount of job offers before graduation. The other is probably going to continue onto grad school. Both double majored, didn't do a minor.

Definitely possible to do in four years if you come in with a lot of AP credit and know exactly what you want to do, and are willing to work like a dog. But for the average bear, it's pretty difficult.