Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Generally, the only jobs that require PhDs are pure research positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

BeefofAges posted:

A suit, or a dress shirt and tie, or a polo shirt. It doesn't matter that much.

Either you show up in a suit when everyone else is in a polo or you show up in a polo when everyone else is in a suit. Take your pick.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I agree, though I think you would be well served by familiarizing yourself with it and with quality control systems/schemes in general. In the end, they are all pretty similar at heart...

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
There is always studying for the GRE :eng99:

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 17, 2013

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
If it comes up, don't be afraid just to chalk part of it up to immaturity. "Yeah, I over the last year, I've really grown up a lot. I've realized that *insert how I turned a weak point into a strong point here*."

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Nam Taf posted:

Mine did the same. I coasted through first year on high-school knowledge and did nothing, then it all hit me like a freight train in the first semester of second year once we covered significant new knowledge.

Not directed at you, Nam Taf, but in general:

Are you an overachiever? Do you think you're pretty smart? Was high school a breeze? Then this. This will happen to you when you go to university. First semester will be easy, but don't let that fool you. You'll hit a brick wall second or third semester. That's what you need to be careful of.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Anyone have any advice about how to write a resume for their job as an application engineer? I am one right now and I'm in such a wide variety of stuff that I'm not sure how I can summarize that on my resume. TIA>

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
You CAN get jobs that you're massively underqualified for and be successful. Anecdata: friend with a master's applied for a job, didn't get it, but was hired into another position that was looking for PhD + 10 years experience. He then went to win the company's (a very large international one) engineer of the year award and is in general very successful.

Point is: apply. The worst thing that can happen is literally nothing.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

boxorocks posted:

Also, the sales engineers at my work are not engineers and don't actually do any design beyond grand hand-wavey gestures that get scrapped by the actual delivery engineers as it's usually incorrect. Don't let that stop you from getting a job though if things are tough.

Is there a difference between sales engineer and application engineer? As the latter, I admit I'm removed from the "pure engineering", but I've got my hands in so many things from product development to production, QA, logistics, and warranty/failure analysis that if I weren't an engineer (or, rather, had the skills that I gained while training to be one, which is what an engineering degree is really all about) that I doubt I could do everything properly.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

boxorocks posted:

This is true also.

I have met sales engineers who are actually engineers but in my industry (building automation & controls) and in my country (Australia) they're few and far between probably because the sales estimating process is so fast and loose based on how quickly everyone in the construction industry wants things done.

On a related note: The Australian construction industry is generally pretty awful. I'm actively searching for opportunities in a different industry :toot:

Edit: to clarify I'm usually a subcontractor or a subcontractor of a subcontractor on site and poo poo usually flows down hill.

Awful job-opportunity-wise or awful working-condition-wise? I'm looking for a job in Melbourne as a (not civil) engineer (how is that market, by the way? Oh, but I'm not Australia so I'm hosed no matter what :D ) and all I see are construction-related.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 18, 2013

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
On the other hand, if poo poo fucks up at a nuclear reactor, poo poo can get REALLY hosed up. Who's ever going to say "Yeah, let's let the engineers working on these reactors know a little bit less"? No one, ever. Not even if it's because they believe you need to know all that, but just because who wants to raise their hand for that?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
As an application engineer, let me just tell you that depending on the actual job, you won't necessarily be getting out and about very much (besides other offices...) just because of the title.

If you're looking at what engineering major to choose, well, pretty much all of them can get you there if you want...

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh and also, a lot of other fields have more hands-on stuff. For example, my buddy is a geology major and spends his working days down in a mine. He seems to like it, though I consider it a lesser version of hell.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
If your GPA in the final year(s) were significantly better than the earlier ones, you can turn it into a I've matured a lot now blah blah blah deal. This can be a great response to one of those typical HR questions like "what's your weakness" (inability to prioritize or some other spin on "immaturity").

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I disagree that they are all trivially easy and intuitive concepts to anyone. I also disagree that you can always make a manager out of an engineer.

Yeah, okay, you can design a thing like nobody's business.

But how much do you know about the inherent conflict of interests faced by AEs and how to deal with them? How much do you know about program management? If someone asks you why you picked A over B, how will you back it up if they don't have a degree in engineering?

Just because it may be simple to understand and intuitive after the fact does not mean these are all things you can figure out on your own without potentially stumbling (and possibly hard).

In my opinion, take the class. Maybe you won't use the CPM or PERT but just like your engineering degree where you may or may not apply the exact things you learned in class to your job, the point is to give you enough background information so that you can learn the things you need to without seeming like a bumbling idiot.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well if you want to work for Intel, you need MS or better. If you want to work in metallurgy, MS is also helpful, but not necessary if you work in a plant.

I don't know that there's too much practical difference between Mat Sci, Mat Eng, and MSE when it comes to actually getting a job. It's much more your experience that's going to matter, really, especially in relation to the type of work you're looking to do.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Does anyone know about avionics? Chat with me about it; I can offer a forum upgrade or something of your choosing in return. Or something.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Oil! posted:

I just got the results back today. I passed and am now a Professional Engineer, but have no idea what to do with my licence.

Be extremely smug about it to engineers without a license.

March into your manager's office with your stamp and demand a raise.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

SeaBass posted:

Both the non licensed engineers and your boss will laugh at you.

:ssh: you're ruining it

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
What this really tells you is that you should do whatever makes you comfortable and makes you think is best suited for that particular position, because you're just as likely to get one response as the other.

(I would personally de-emphasize it to leave room for other more engineering-related items.)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
There's always Detroit. If nothing else, suppliers are always looking for application engineers.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

orange sky posted:

However, I'm freaking scared that I won't know anything.

This is completely normal and any good manager will not be hiring a new graduate expecting them to know very much.

What you DO have are the tools and foundation knowledge necessary for you to learn what you will need to know. Don't be scared.

If you still don't know anything after a year, then start getting scared.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
There are also test engineer jobs that are similar, except less diagnosing problems and more doing a lot of what will probably be similar tests and writing a lot of reports. The advantage that has over field technician, for example, is that it can require a lot more engineering knowledge and understanding to do the tests and write the reports.

vvv and we're hiring for this exact position. See you around the office? Good luck :D

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 15, 2014

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'd say MS vs BS + UnrelatedBA is a debate worth having. I don't see how you could go wrong with MS + UnrelatedBS if your alternative is just a BS. Unless we start talking about finances, etc., then things obviously become murky, but it doesn't sound like that is necessarily the case.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well, Y is a geometric factor, so it depends on the geometry of the hole. An infinitely large hole, for example, will approximate a straight edge.

Look through here, I think it may have the answer you're looking for: http://www.colorado.edu/MCEN/MCEN4174/index_files/lectures_files/Stress_Intensity_Factors.pdf

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
The service is on the pricey side now, I won't disagree but it is a great process that will help you write a good resume in the future.

If you have basically no idea what you're doing, it's worth it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
A lot of jobs require a lot more travel than there actually is. If it's a matter of your wife not being able to travel 2-4 days every few months then it may be a problem for a lot of positions but if you're just worried about being gone constantly (like "up to 25% travel") or something then I wouldn't worry about it and just apply anyway. That's the kind of stuff you can clarify during the interview.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So my small team of like 5 people recently had 3 people turnover in the past months leaving me and another guy who does only CAD and no analysis. They've been trying to hire replacements but it's going really slow and it's still just us two. I plan on leaving in January for a new opportunity (already have the contract in hand) and while I don't give a poo poo or have any loyalty for my company, they are a contractor and I know that me leaving their team leaving only a CAD guy is going to very significantly harm their ability to conduct work, especially for the current projects and customer that I'm assigned to.

On the one hand id like to try to work with them in ensuring they have people to take over when I'm out in two months. On the other hand this company's business model is "just hire the cheapest fresh graduates you can find they're all expendable anyway." I'm in an at will state so I don't technically have to give any notice at all I suppose. Would it be incredibly stupid of me to give them more than 2 weeks? I don't want to leave them dry but I also want to keep my paychecks rolling until January.

Do you think they're liable to cut you off before winter vacation? Would it harm you if they did? If so, don't do it.

If you want to keep up extra good relations then you might, but they're already looking for people so giving them extra heads up wouldn't really benefit them in any way, as they'll likely be interviewing the same people anyway.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

RedReverend posted:

So I got a job offer at this company after graduating. I had been an intern there for a year and a half. I've been working as an Engineer I and was approached by the engineering manager who told me that she wanted me to replace her. She has been promoted to head of public works engineering and needs someone to lead the poco engineering group.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't flattered, but here I am, 1.5 years out of school, I've got my EIT, and I'm being offered a chance to leave the field and enter management. I'm afraid of losing knowledge and hurting my chances at the PE. Most importantly, I love what I do and while I see management as a logical destination, I don't know how I feel about replacing engineering with management at this point. Furthermore, here I would be, supervising senior engineers that have been working here since graduating 35+ years ago, and who trained me.

I told her my concerns and how I felt and she said that she understood. The thing is that since she has been spending more than time away from our department, she has been asking me to attend meetings for her and pick up some of the responsibilities that she hasn't the time to attend to. I know that I'm as valued as I am because I never turn down work but I feel like I've become a part-time manager without any extra pay. Granted, I'm not approving time cards or disciplining, but she's basically given me authority to make decisions for the group.

Should I say something or am I an idiot for not jumping on this opportunity?

Obviously there's more details but to me, being offered an engineering manager position after a year and a half (including time as an intern) throws off some huge red flags.

It's possible you're really excelling at what you're doing and just got incredibly lucky and that would be great, but what the hell?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Anything to do with analysis/modeling will be heavy on stuff like that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Why wait?

If you've only been working 2 years, assuming the retirement plan isn't crazy good, becoming fully vested is only a few thousand at most and not worth missing out on a potentially better job because of it.

Besides, there's no guarantee that you'll find another job in the meantime. There's nothing you'd lose out on just by starting your job search early.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

CarForumPoster posted:

E.g. one answer to that question is you could change the material. But because they said it didnt permanently deform you (as a mech E) should know that changing to another alloy of the same material is likely not the solution.

Yeah, but what if you're holding up your sign with rubber bands? :v:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
If you REALLY want to know, a lot of companies are publicly traded so you can find their quarterly earnings, projections, etc.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

DaveSauce posted:

not that I'm totally unwilling to consider different career options, but I just don't want to get stuck in a middle manager role at some generic megacorp that doesn't do engineering of any sort.

Larger companies will offer you more options in terms of advanced (i.e. highly technical) engineering work. For example, there will be technical fellows (or something like that) whose work at the company is solely to understand every technical aspect of something, whether it's a process, component, whatever. In addition, larger companies will also have options for advanced (i.e. for the future) engineering work that you may not find at smaller companies due to lack of resources, unless you work at focused engineering companies like (just off the top of my head) Boston Dynamics.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

ch3cooh posted:

Anybody here do much with MPI and AWS D1.1 and ASTM E709?

Having a massive showdown with a rig inspector over a procedure that performs MPI on welds through 10mils of paint. Rig inspector says that's not allowed, rig owner says it is, engineer caught in the middle (me) doesn't know enough about the subject but think the text of E709 plainly states when it is allowed and in this case it is.

Are you the person who is technically (in both senses of the word) supposed to be able to answer that question?

I would ask both the rig inspector and the owner to cite the relevant standard or spec that would back up each of their claims and go from there.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Paraphrase your post by email and quote the relevant specifications word for word. Check the paint thickness as CarForumPoster said, though you could technically forego it, but doing so is better than not. Depends on what happens if there's failure. I mean, if the rig blows up, then definitely check. If someone's inconvenienced for half a day, relying on the spec is definitely an option.

Ask the inspector to refute you, but do so in a way that tries to stroke his ego. Or maybe that backfires, but whatever, guy's clearly a jackass who doesn't know left from right.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 22, 2017

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
/shrug sounds fine to me!

I've always found that when you've got two sides being unreasonably stubborn, making everyone do everything exactly as they should is the best way to fix it. Yeah, it's painful, but as long as you're not the one being stubborn, you can just sit back and watch.

Besides, better safe than sorry :D

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
My friend works for Cat and he got out.

From what I hear, basically Cat rode the China-train all the way to the top and now China is just sort of coasting and Cat is having trouble dealing with that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
There's that, but they also did a lot of capital investment, which is less easy to get rid of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

osker posted:

pressure or trial by fire

I work for a "small" company and was sent to a customer in another country less than a month after I was hired. Long story short, decision process to send me was:

"Who's the least important person here?"
I look up
"Oh yeah, totalnewbie. Plus, it's his customer. That's perfect."

I spent the entire trip saying exactly nothing and letting our quality engineer handle everything; he was much more qualified to deal with the issue, but they insisted an engineer had to be there, so I was there.

In the end, it was fine and was an incredibly stupid thing for anyone to go there for, I see now. But at the time, it was terrifying.