Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Bean_ posted:

Senior (in the "Super" Senior Program) Mining and Minerals Engineering student at Virginia Tech. I have experience in coal mining and aggregates (crushed stone). Its great if you want to move around the country/world, don't mind getting dirty, and want to see huge machinery. My internships have taken me to West Virginia, Ohio, and Virginia. Friends have gone as far west as Montana and Nevada for a few jobs.

Starting pay is pretty drat good. VT Mining averages about $68,000 fresh out. As an intern, I've gotten paid $21.88/hour with housing stipends. I've got friends who have gotten paid upwards of $27/hour with free housing. Job placement has been 100% for over a decade. Hell yeah.

Senior in VT's Mining and Minerals program on the Super Senior plan checking in! I started as an M.E. but finally said gently caress that after 3 years in it and switched to Mining. The pay, the 100% job placement, along with the fact that I've always wanted to blow poo poo up (and mining is 90% blowing poo poo up) were the biggest factors for influencing my decision.

In M.E. I wasn't even excited about getting an internship, but now that I'm in Mining I'm psyched. It's nice to have a pretty good idea what you'll be doing once you graduate, while you're still in school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Bean_ posted:

Austin? Haha, nice. There's like 4 Mining and Minerals engineers from VT on SA that I know of. That's a pretty flipping high ratio for such a small department.

Also, Mining is the shiz.

Nope, not Austin, I donno any Austins in the department yet, maybe I should attend the Burkhart meetings or something to get to know everyone. And it really is a teeny tiny department. There's what? 30ish of us expecting to graduate in 2011?