Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeverOddorEven
Dec 8, 2005
Math is everywhere, just most of it has been boiled down once into a few equations you use all the time, or hard coded into some software that only becomes an issue when you are no longer using conservatism.

I work at an engineering consulting firm and we do not as a rule get our hands dirty. Occasionally we go out and do walk downs and what not, but by and large we use excel, CAFTA, FDS and some homegrown stuff. There are drawings all over the place of electrical schematics, mechanical systems and fire barriers.

Edit:
My friend works for the military as a civilian researcher and does guided air drops (he is an ME with AE concentration). He spends most of this time designing and doing project management, but about 1 week a month on average he goes to an air drop site in AZ and is either on the ground, or in the plane throwing stuff out the back.

NeverOddorEven fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverOddorEven
Dec 8, 2005

Adahn the nameless posted:

Anybody know anything about what an Engineering/Applied Physics degree opens up?

Just about anything you would want to do. You can do grad school is just about any subject that is business/science/engineering. You can also do any sort of job in those fields if you can convince the hiring guy you can do it.

I was a CS major that went to EE that ended up in physics. This is pretty much the exact opposite direction that is normally gone. Usually it goes EE to CS to MiS. My internship was with a giant finance company getting paid 20/hour

NeverOddorEven
Dec 8, 2005

Pfirti86 posted:

What schools offer this major?

Columbia offers a master's in it. Few other schools so as well.

It is basically an easier stepping stone to being a quantitative analyst rather than going for a PHD in physics/math/engineering. It came into being with all the financial derivatives and credit swapping stuff. Not sure how popular it is now with the semi implosion of wall street.