Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Phlegmbot posted:

I studied EE. Now I work in nuclear power and it is super awesome.

If you want to know more, let me know.

I'm studying EE. I want to know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

I have to admit though, that I was that rear end in a top hat in class who constantly referred to all his life experience trying to impress everyone.

We weren't impressed.

Especially because most of the guys who pull that poo poo are completely uninterested in any theoretical background and whine and moan when forced to learn any theory or anything involving mathematics. "We didn't use any of this poo poo when I worked at <company name>."

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

lightpole posted:

I graduated with a 2.69 and have never been asked for a GPA. Once you get your first job its all about what skills and experience you can pick up in your field, as well as demonstrating those skills and making sure you have good references. Actually getting your first job can be the tricky part.

Really? :downs:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

frr posted:

I got a bachelors and masters in nuclear engineering, and now I work at a national lab. The pay is acceptable, my boss/coworkers are good people and its rock solid job security but I am not really happy with it.

Stuff like the picture on my avatar - never see it. Getting dressed up in PPE ("radiation suit") and going into hot area - nope. Almost anything remotely hands on is done by technicians in a different building. The following three pictures are the sort of thing that was sold to me by my academic cheerleaders:

This picture below is my reality. Just picture this scene every single day, only throw in some empty redbull cans. Its just me and microsoft word, excel and some other text based software such as MCNP.

I don't mean to sound too negative, but I am totally and completely unexcited about something I used to love, staring at a computer all day eats my soul. If I did not have so much student loan debt Id go back to school to do something else.

drat, dude. Can't you apply for the cool jobs?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Roumba posted:

I royally hosed myself hard the last two semesters and dropped my GPA to ~2.25 at the end of my sophomore year. Because of this I've no hope of getting any kind of intern/coop because every one I see requesting Nuclear Engineering has minimum GPA requirements that I don't meet. Should I just switch majors now, or try to claw my way back up and hope that by the end of the next 2/3 years I'll be an attractive candidate for a job?

I just really don't want to work my rear end off in this awesome major if at the end I'll have to look outside the field for any kind of employment. Does anyone have any advice for this stupid kid?

Your GPA is going to follow you to whatever other major you choose. I would just stick it out and stop slacking off if I was you.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Pfirti86 posted:

*Where you go to graduate school DOES matter, quite a bit. This advice is only for undergraduates.

I agree, but only in the sense that you should be going somewhere doing the research you want to do, not somewhere that has a nice shiny name, just for the sake of the nice shiny name.

I'd rather do research I really enjoy at a no-name school than do research I dislike at MIT or Caltech (my favorite schools).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

intervoid posted:

I sincerely doubt you'll be able to find every class offered after 3pm. Also, you will hate your life. I'm currently a senior in Electrical/Computer Engineering and I hate my life at 15 hours a week of work. The only way I could see you pulling down 40 hours a week of work if you worked like 20 of those hours over the weekend, and then, still, good luck with the homework.

Yeah. It would not be possible to get an engineering degree at my school if you couldn't take any classes before 3pm ever. In fact the MAJORITY of classes are (obviously?) between 7am and 3pm.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Phlegmbot posted:

No complex math? Or was that naturally covered in your other courses? ie, Cauchy-Riemann, Cauchy’s integral theorem, etc.

I don't think complex calculus is taught in a standard engineering curriculum in most places. I'm learning parts of it this semester as part of an advanced math course I'm taking with an absolutely brilliant applied mathematician. Total course enrollment: 4 students.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

SubCrid TC posted:

You people who never had to take Partial Differential Equations are horrible and I don't like you.

:mad:

I took PDEs as an elective and I found it to be incredibly useful and not too difficult, but I had a great teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Diffy Q? That's the most retarded way to write it I've ever seen. It's Differential Equations not Differentially Quations.