Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm currently studying mechanical engineering and am in my third semester of study. I've allways been incredibly lazy and it can be shown in my grades. I finished first semester with a 2.7 which wasn't bad but it was high school on repeat. I pledged a fraternity second semester and ended with a 1.2. I don't know what happened but over the summer I had to repeat calculus 2 and a switch triggered and I'm absolutely not lazy at all anymore. I used to spend like no time in the library until like 2 days before an exam and just cram like crazy. Now I spend about 20 to 30 hours a week on average in the library. I'm wondering how badly these first two semesters will put me back? I've started getting my first set of mid terms back and and am expecting somewhere around a 3.0 to 3.2.

I'm also wondering of the skills/random things I have, which are marketable?
1. By chance I've already taken 9 credits of sociology and only need 3 more classes to get a minor in it. Could sociology maybe be used to show I'm personable(which I am to begin with) on my resume.
2. I took 4 years of Spanish from 7th to 10th grade but got screwed over by my college because they required me to take 6 credits of Spanish before I could even begin my minor which just wasn't plausible. I've decided to immerse myself in it the best I can and am pretty sure I'll be fluent by the time I graduate.
3. I'm totally open to travel and really wouldn't mind being sent all over the world for the first several years of work. I've been to countries in which I couldn't speak the language and was completely comfortable with going out on my own.
4. The fraternity allows for me to take on a bunch of positions such as treasurer who handles almost $40k a year.

huhu fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Dangbe posted:

Would my education be compromised by doing this? I feel like at a good engineering school I should go there for all 4 years to get the best education possible. Is this not true? Besides missing out on "the best education" I feel like I might not be prepared for the higher level courses if I take lovely community college classes. Thoughts?
If this means anything, I failed Calculus 2 for Engineers at Rutgers and ended up taking it at community college over the summer. I got a 4.0 in the class at community college without studying at all. I literally learned nothing and didn't study but still got a 4.0 at community college.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I need some help with my mechanical engineering woes and I feel like in the next week or two I'm going to get ball rolling in the right direction but I'd just like any extra help from the engineering community at large. How do you guys deal with the feeling of being overwhelmed at times? I really don't have any engineering friends right now but I'm trying to work on that so I feel like that might be one outlet. PS I'm in my fourth semester of engineering and have been making good progress so it's not like I'm being overwhelmed by Calculus 2 or something like that.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Does anyone have any suggestions for where to look for internships, specifically New York City? I've been searching google, government sites, and some random job websites but I seem to be looking in the wrong places. I've also looked around my school website and can't seem to find much there either. Any suggestions would be helpful.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone have any suggestions for interesting engineering or related blogs/websites? I love reading about stuff like that and keeping up to date on what's going on in the world but I've been searching google for awhile and can't seem to find anything worthwhile. Most of what I find seems to be a lot more technical or however you'd describe it and not very interesting.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

BeefofAges posted:

What field of engineering? I don't think you'll find anything that covers all of engineering.

Mechanical.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I was talking to a psychology friend the other day about the fact that I have a good deal of trouble remembering stuff like actors from movies, quotes from movies, and random other things like this and he said that the way my brain is geared(towards engineering) that my other part of the brain geared towards remembering this stuff isn't as developed. Anyone else feel the same way?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Would anyone happen to have any idea why a professor would require only pen for homework? My mechanical properties of materials professor is doing this and it sucks.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I was wondering if anyone has some cool ideas for things to model. For my Solidworks class our project is to model something such as every part of a fan. We're looking for something to do that doesn't have too many parts, maybe like 30 or so but we can't really think of anything cool to do. Anyone have any suggestions?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I have a dilemma and was wondering if someone can help me out. I've landed an internship in Shanghai from roughly June 2011 until November 2011. This means I'll be taking of fall 2011 semester. My college has a senior design project that starts in the fall and ends in the spring which means I will also have to take off the spring 2012 semester. This is my only shot to goto China for this internship and I really want to do it. Only thing holding me back is I need something to do from the end of December/January until May 2012. I'm not trying to move back home for that time so I'm hoping for a second internship. I live right outside of New York City so I can apply for internships there. I'm also down to do a second international internship somewhere in Europe. The thing is, my mom won't approve of all of this until I have a concrete plan. Second problem is my friend who is getting me the China internship wants an answer by February 2011. How do I go about talking to companies about an internship that I won't actually do for another year is this plausible?

huhu fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 29, 2010

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is typing a worthy note on a resume for an undergrad?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I should clarify on WPM. I'm getting around 95 to 100wpm and I was curious as to what the average is and saw it was only 40 to 50.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
At my school you can give your employer your ID number and some other stuff and they go to a webpage and it says what my current status us.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm not sure exactly how I do it but I go out on average 3 nights a week and pulled a 3.3 last semester at a US school with classes like calc 5 and thermo. I'm not super brilliant, the semesters before were the range of 2.0 and 2.6 I guess I've learned when I'm studying to actually study and use my time wisely. Also I work about 10 to 15 hours a week on average.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Thoguh posted:

What is Calc 5?
Linear algebra, Laplace transforms, and heat/wave and some other function I don't remember.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
My semester GPAs go 2.7 1.2 2.4 2.6 3.0 and this semester I'm looking at a 3.5. I have no real chance of getting a 3.0 overall or something similar to what a lot of places seem to be asking for. Is there any suggestion to show my improvement?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Retake that semester?

I can't really afford to pay another 10 grand or so to retake a semester. Also I only failed one class and it was calc 2 and I can't make that up since I've taken calc 3.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Lord Gaga posted:

What sort of engineer? Do something or take some class or get a job that shows you have practical real world experience. No one gives a poo poo that you got a 2.51 GPA and barely passed engineering school when you have a BSME with 2 years of CNC machining,programming and setup under your belt. EVen if you did it by retrofitting a harbor freight lathe in your garage for $2000. Of course you wouldn't list your GPA.

I'm studying for mechanical engineering. I did land an internship. I'm guessing by what you're saying with that on my resume they won't really care to ask about gpa?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Frinkahedron posted:

Looks like you're a junior. What's your in major gpa look like? Use that instead and try and get in some lab work on the side you can fit into your resume. I have a sub 3.0 gpa and I turned down two job offers to continue as a fully funded grad student next year. I had 2 years of internship experience and 3 years of lab experience before I even started my senior design this year. It really helps to have actual things to talk about in an interview when you've been doing it for years already. Look into undergraduate research credit if your school offers it. It's an easy A (usually) and is more like real engineering than a lot of my classes. My volunteer work in the lab had me doing everything from CNC machining and programming to CAD to vision processing and lots of stuff in between.
Major GPA is looking to be a 3.2 after this semester. Sadly my school doesn't offer research for credit but I'll talk to some of my professors to see if they have anything.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

FooGoo posted:

Originally posted in the federal jobs thread, thought I'd get more input here:

What happens at a job fair / how should I dress?

I'm planning on attending a Hispanic Engineers career fair (I'm nowhere near Hispanic) and it looks like the only one USACE will be at in the area. Is a suit and tie too much? Do they typically just meet and greet or interview on the spot? Should I bring anything other than resume and examples of my work?

Thanks.
At my university's career fairs it was either Dress shirt and tie or full suit. I was only applying for internships and just talked to an HR person and had my resume thrown into a pile of other resumes and not much more.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Half celebration half stupid question ahead. I'm an intern working for Siemens in a group focused on building rolling mills. During one of the meetings discussing design of some of the machines, I came up with a new more efficient design for one of the machines. The few people I've told the idea to so far think it's pretty good. The idea is going to get set forth before the CEO in September and then may get presented to the international HQ. How would such a thing rank on a resume in terms of impressing future employers?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Does anyone know much about Disney internships? I found a list of "The top 100 internships of 2011" and decided to apply to every engineering one. Disney was on the list. I applied and got an email requesting a phone interview. Judging by the list of professions they have I'm not sure if it would be the best choice. Thoughts?

email posted:

We are looking at Spring’12 internships. I was wondering if you would be interested in a phone interview with NAME. NAME handles the IMPORTANT LOOKING STUFF. Our cast consists of:

Mechanics
Plumbers
HVAC Tech's
Carpenters
Facility Craft Support
Decorators
Electricians
Kitchen

You will be working with various projects and various software formats developing the DAK Facilities SharePoint site.
If you are interested, let me know, and I will set up an interview with NAME. (Also let me know what is a good time and day to call you.
Spring interns would start in Jan-May.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Lord Gaga posted:

I dont know about the internships but Disney's college program is for people who like Disney too much and the pay is poo poo and the housing rules are overbearing.

I really didn't think I'd find any information searching online but did anyway and found a few sites saying the internship is poo poo. Oh well.

huhu fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 14, 2011

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Lord Gaga posted:

Would you be doing the CP or just an internship while living in Orlando? College program people are like regular cast members. If you're a junior year mech e or something you may make quite a bit more.

But yea, disneys regular ol janitor makes $7/hour and lives with a few other people and isnt allowed to have people over after midnight.

The page I found the internship on doesn't work anymore so I sent email to get more information. I'm a senior mechanical engineer so hopefully you're right.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Any mechanical engineering goons still in undergraduate interested in interning in Shanghai and teaching English as well for maybe 4 or 5 hours a week? I can't make any promises but I got the lucky chance through a friend to come to Shanghai for an internship and would like to pass it on to someone else when I leave. My boss wants another intern who is motivated to organize an English discussion each week.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Keepin It Fresh posted:

I'd be interested in this, can you tell me some more details about the internship?
I work at a top 50 Fortune 500. Basically right now I work with AutoCAD and SolidWorks to update and convert drawings. When I'm not doing that I'm preparing for English discussion. I go to four different groups. My own group twice a week, and three other groups once a week. Work from 8:45-17:15 five days a week with two meetings an hour each after work on Tuesday and Thursday. It's probably going to be about a 40 minute commute since the factory is far outside of the city. Everyone speaks English but you're definitely going to feel like a loner some days unless you can speak the language. I didn't when I got here. I've had tutoring 4 hours a week after work for about four months now. I'll be leaving probably in February. You'll get no money for plane tickets or visa and the visa will be one entry so you won't be leaving China unless you want to pay $170 for a new visa to get back in.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

seniorservice posted:

Nah I don't have a copy so I'm stuck to looking up stuff on youtube/wherever. I'm confident that I can pick up all the basic stuff pretty quickly once I open up the software since I've been using it for so long (~ 2 years). I was looking at this site: http://iprototype.in/solidworks to learn some surfacing and kind of get re-familiarized with all the tools and icons. I was wondering if there was anything else like that website I linked out there.

Also the computer lab at my alma mater had SolidWorks on all their computers. The only problem is my old login doesn't work and my alma mater is an hour away from where I live. So I'll have to call them and ssee if there's a way I can get on the system so I can get some practice time making drawings.
SolidWorks comes with a bunch of tutorials on how to do pretty much everything with it. I guess you could just read that to remember how to do things. Two days at work I had nothing to do and went through pretty much all the tutorials to refresh and learn new stuff. Not sure if you can get it free.

huhu fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 8, 2011

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I was talking to my sister about my internship today and I'm feeling a little down, hopefully I can get some good opinions from you guys. I'm coming to the end of an eight month internship with a Fortune 50 company involved in Metals Technologies in China. I've basically just been converting CAD drawings from PDF to AutoCAD and making small changes to AutoCAD drawings. In regards to engineering work, that's all I did. Due to the language barrier(everyone speaks English but their level of English and willingness to actually speak it are a completely different matter) I didn't really learn a whole lot about engineering. Things like properly dimensioning parts and why something is designed the way it is are completely lost to me since I never learned. I did however do a few other good things while I was there.

- I had an idea for an improvement to a machine that got sent to HQ to get reviewed for potential future R&D.
- led two meetings about SolidWorks since I'm the only person in my group that knows how to use it.
- Since I'm the only native English speaker in my group I've produced the final copy of the CAD standards for our group.
- I joined in an English discussion with my group 3 hours a week which has evolved into me co-leading four different groups a week with me helping about sixty people with English.
- I studied Chinese for seven months for about 8 hours a week and will eventually take classes once I return to university.

I really should have learned more engineering stuff and I tried several times but the language barrier is just a little too much for me to learn a lot more. I didn't really get to work on big projects, all the meetings were in Chinese save for two when an American stayed with us for two weeks, and most all the office talk was Chinese.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Large Hardon Collider posted:

Can anyone suggest places to apply near Boston for a third year mechanical engineer[ing major] with a decent GPA (3.2) and some fairly impressive experience last summer at a solar energy startup? Definitely doesn't have to be alternative energy related; I'm trying to cast a wide net.

I really want to get a toehold in GE, where my grandfather worked for 40 years and lots of my graduated engineering friends are really enjoying themselves. I can't find any engineering openings on their site though. Thanks!

Siemens has a metals technologies office in Worcester. I'm currently working in their factory in Shanghai so I don't really know much more.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Cross posting this in two other threads hoping to find someone... Chinese internship ahoy! I tried contacting my university but nobody emailed me back.

I'm currently finishing up an internship with Siemens Metal Technologies in China. My boss has moved to the city of Taicang, about an hour outside of Shanghai, and wants a native English speaker to replace me. My major is mechanical engineering but I've developed an English corner while I've been here and he wants someone to continue what I've started. It's pretty simple we just talk about English topics and play the game Taboo. If you have other ideas you're welcome to try. You'll generally be coleading with another Chinese person. You could also probably find a way to get sent to work in Shanghai once a week to help in the groups I'm involved with there. Besides English discussion, I'm not sure exactly what you'd be doing. To get the most out of this internship it would be best if you're interersted in engineering or sales because that's what the Taicang factory is involved in. The salary is decent enough to find an apartment, eat out for dinner most nights, and go out on the weekend, and do one weekend vacation outside of the city once every month or two. If you're interested please send me a pm and we can discuss more.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've got an internship interview next week and the description is pretty vague. All it says is that I will be involved in different projects using different software formats to develop the SharePoint site. Can anyone help me out here, I've read some about SharePoint but I'm not really sure what I'm applying for. Is it just a generally vague description because I'd be an intern?

huhu fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 2, 2012

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
My sister has set me up with a phone call with an friend of hers in the field(environmental engineering) I'm interested in getting involved in. I'm a junior and could potentially get an internship out of it. I'm supposed to ask questions but I'm not really sure what I should be asking. Any suggestions?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm going in for an interview Thursday for an internship that my friend is currently the intern for. He said the interview they're going to ask me machining questions that I've got no clue about. I had a previous internship in engineering that revolved around CAD drawings but it was in China so I didn't really learn much because my coworkers couldn't explain. What should I say when they try to ask me machining questions?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Any engineers here do Peace Corps? What did you get involved in and where?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Don't do this. If a company doesn't have a cutoff the difference between a candidate with a 2.98 and a 3.00 is inconsequential. If they do have a cutoff at 3.00 then you are setting yourself up for getting an offer pulled after an interview if they ask for your transcript.
Didn't read the full discussion about GPA but just as an example to back this up... I got interviewed for a position and told I was hired. My application got lost somewhere and they asked for me to fill out a new one as a formality and my GPA was under a 3.0 which was a requirement. The removed the offer. Don't bullshit your GPA because they will take away job offers.

Edit: As I read that it looks like I BS'd my GPA, I didn't. Some rear end somewhere didn't notice my low GPA and got me an interview.

huhu fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 13, 2012

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Since we're on the topic of internships, anyone interested in committing 12 months to living in China for a sort of mechanical engineering internship with Siemens Metals Technologies, shoot me a PM.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Does anyone know of a list that has all characters used in CAD drawings? Either a website or something in AutoCAD/Solidworks would be awesome. I'd prefer not to have to look through the character map or hunt around online every time I need a certain character.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I mean that sometimes when I'm doing drawings in AutoCAD I need a specific symbol(such as diameter, degree, depth) and it's not in the short list of symbols you can insert. I'd rather have a website I can pull up that has a large amount of them listed versus having to look through the character map.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm doing my first drawing at work that is in mm instead of inches. For vertical and horizontal dimensions the value is a whole number even when the tolerance is set to two decimal places. I tried reading online and I found a few discussions that seem like metric doesn't operate with decimal places to define tolerance. I feel like I'm misreading what they are saying, can someone please clear this up for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'd like to get my feet wet with robotics. Since I'll be pretty busy this semester with work and school(mech eng) I thought Lego Mindstorms would be a fun start. Two things, is this a worthy endeavor and is it possible to somehow put this experience on my resume? I plan on doing lots of exploration and not just basic stuff with it before I consider the knowledge resume worthy.