Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...

Godders posted:

As an Engineering/Commerce student (I'm an Aus goon, so this would be a double major in Engineering/Business), what majors can I choose out of the Business stream that would compliment my engineering degree? I currently have it narrowed down to finance, accounting, management and international business.
Or should I have just gone down the B Eng and then MBA route? :eng99:

EDIT: Sorry about that. I'm majoring in Mechatronics Engineering and yeah finance was something I just tacked on because I am curious if it would be useful at all. I mean in terms of career advancement.
vvvvvvv

I'm not sure how things work in Australia, but if you're interested and looking into business as a career more than engineering you could leverage your engineering degree to work in the technology group at an investment bank/management consulting firm which would be a track to corporate finance/strategy at tech companies or something like venture capital. Of course this is a ridiculously hard path with regards to both the probability of obtaining these jobs and the hours you have to put in. There's also IT consulting, though from what I've heard the work isn't that rewarding and there isn't a lot of room for advancement.

But in terms of a career as an engineer I doubt a double major would help a lot. I assume you would most likely need to go back for an MBA anyway if you wanted to move into a management roll.

(Not an engineer. I wimped out on the math but was always curious about what it would have been like to be one.)

flyingfoggy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU