Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"
I studied EE. Now I work in nuclear power and it is super awesome.

If you want to know more, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

DNova posted:

I'm studying EE. I want to know more.

From another thread:

Power engineer

Pros:
Great pay and benefits
1.5x overtime, 2x on weekends, after 35 hours
Flextime
A lot of responsibility
Good mix of routine and unique projects
Challenging
Great boss
Mostly recession proof
Important job
My company reimburses for physical fitness, professional organizations, books, etc
Union-backed job security

Cons:
Not a lot of eye candy around the office
Stressful urgent work can pop up at any time

More:

I studied EE, doing a 13-month internship in networking along the way. After graduation, did a MSEE in electromagnetics. When applying for jobs, I lucked out with a bunch of offers. Nuclear power seemed to be the most interesting, so I took it.

I work at a desk in a downtown office, going out to the plants only occasionally.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

How did you get into Nuclear Power? I'm an EE as well and I briefly looked into it as something I wanted to do, but then got a cool internship and started doing Networking.

I just applied for a job on my university's career centre. My company mostly hires mechs and chems - I was the only EE they hired at the time. We do reactor physics, radiation physics, containment, fuel channels, thermo, risk assessment, design, etc.

Like you, I also did my internship in telecomm networking. I also did a research summer position in photonics. I did my senior design project in biomed/digital hardware. And I did an MSEE in electromagnetics. So it's not like your internship experience totally dictates the rest of your life. You can look into other areas too.

My job choices were between nuclear stuff (not related to my research) and military satellite stuff (much more closely related to my research). The nuclear job had better pay, location, benefits, and options for advancement. Both jobs seemed to have an equal cool factor to me, so I went with nuclear.

Problems with the industry: not popular with a lot of people, you are at the whim of stupid politicians, etc.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

davepsilon posted:

any financial engineers out there?

I don't think this belongs in this thread.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

edit: nevermind

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Colmface posted:

So, I have a question for the nuclear engineers out there.

I'm in my third year of studying EE and after third year, the school lets us go on an internship for 12-16 months. I'm really interested in working in power and specifically, in working with nuclear power. What're the chances that I could get an internship with a company that deals with nuclear power (either at the plant itself or with distributing the power)? I live in Canada, but I'm willing to travel.

I guess part of the problem is there's no specific stream for nuclear engineers at my school, and the EE path only dabbles in power electronics until the third year. I'm going to be taking a course on energy systems next semester, but that's all I'll really have under my belt except for a few circuits courses, numerical methods and a statistics class. Would I have a shot at an internship, or would I just have to do my undergrad and find a school that has a Master's program for NE?

You have a shot at an internship. Try Ontario Power Generation and Bruce Power as your big guys.

Are you at U of T? If so, my company hires PEY students. When you apply for a PEY job, you should see our listings.

Honestly, we hire more mechs and chems than elecs. In my year, I was the only elec new grad hired out of almost two dozen. I think they hired two the next year, out of maybe 30 new grads.

PM me if you have any more questions.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

SubCrid TC posted:

So it's a question of getting a job and possibly security clearance. 'Sponsering' and the visa and all that shouldn't be nearly as hard for you, although you'd probably want to have a lawyer or something to make sure you do it all correctly.

In theory you can even apply for a TN1 visa at the border, but I bet you'd be pretty hosed at that point if you got denied.

Visas for a 'regular' jobs are easy enough, as you mention. But as the other poster mentions, defense and aerospace actually do require American citizenship.

Cypress: I guess you'll have to shoot for MDA or whatever.

edit: and Bombardier

Phlegmbot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 21, 2009

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Cypress posted:

To all the engineers with Master's degrees in this thread, what's the course load like for an Engineering Masters? I have one friend from high school doing one in Electrical Engineering and he has 3 courses right now and his next semester is research. I wouldn't mind doing a Master's if it wasn't as intensive course wise as right now, but having rushed 3 years into 2 physical years while working has sort of drained my will. I just want things to slow down.

It was a lot of work.

Summer after undergrad:
All research (I started early because my supervisor offered me funding for the summer. I got me to a conference and a head-start on my research, so it was worth it.) - 10 am to 5 pm

First semester:
3 courses (one with an ungodly amount of work, one with an 'average' amount, and one with very little) - about 6 hours of class per week, and maybe 25 hours of hw per week
research - I'd be in the lab/office roughly 10 am - 5 pm, 10 pm - 2 am most days
TA work (3 hours per week)

Second semester:
2 courses (both fortunately with a small workload) - 15 hrs per week total
research - same hours as above
TA work (3 hours per week)

Summer:
All research all the time - same hours as above

Second year first semester & second year second semester:
Research almost all the time
TA work (5 hours per week)

Second summer:
Thesis writing - 9 am to 5 pm, 10 pm to 12 am

I did an MSEE in electromagnetics. It was worth it.

Phlegmbot fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 21, 2009

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

WyrmHunter posted:

I got 600 verbal 780 quant, and along with my 3.3gpa (3.5 engineering), and an academic internship(some analytics and modeling) Would it be unreasonable for me to apply to some top universities?

I would say it's worth it, though, to be frank, you look rather uncompetitive from this brief portfolio. Get very strong reference letters and write dynamite research statements.

WyrmHunter posted:

Is this a good idea? Is there a point in getting a PhD in either if my goal is to work in industry? What schools should I apply to?

There is no point in getting a PhD unless you want a career in research. That can absolutely take place in industry or academia.

You should apply to schools that have research programs that match up with your interests.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

grover posted:

At Penn State, we had:
1- Derivative
2- Integral
3- Vector calculus
4- Differential Equations
5- Advanced Differential Equations

We also had to take linear algebra, and analytical methods (finite element analysis, etc). Multivariable was covered in Integral and vector calculus.

No complex math? Or was that naturally covered in your other courses? ie, Cauchy-Riemann, Cauchy’s integral theorem, etc.

I remember walking into the arts & science building one day for a midterm for my second year elective (Roman history). For their third year complex math course for mathematics majors, I saw the midterm solutions posted on the wall outside a lecture hall. They were covering the same stuff we were in our second year 'advanced engineering mathematics' course. I was pretty disappointed.

edit: so I had Calc 1 and 2 in first year and 3 in second year, algebra in first year, discrete math in second, this complex math course in second, probability in third. I didn't cover finite element method stuff until grad school - but it was pretty hardcore then. Now they're introducing the concept of FEM in second year.

Phlegmbot fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 30, 2009

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

slorb posted:

[*]Join the right study group. You want to be in the study group with the people who get good grades and are taking it seriously, not guys who are just going to bug you for answers. Study group time is valuable but not a substitute for time spent studying alone.

Personally, I always worked solo. Groups only seem to work at their slowest member's level. Plus my classmates smelled bad.

I would never tell anyone that they *must* do group work to succeed - but it's worth a shot to see if it helps you. Maybe you could be the slow guy!

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Have fun failing in your career if that's your attitude! Engineering projects in industry are never solo. Hell, my current project has something like 300 engineers working on it, plus probably another 50-100 support staff.

Personally group work actually kinda screwed me up because my buddies that i worked with were all the 4.00 kinds of guys, so I thought my 3.40 was total crap when they were acing tests that I barely was able to finish. It wasn't until I went back to campus as a recruiter that I found out that my GPA was actually pretty good.

My career has been going well so far, but thanks!

I never learned well in study groups.

But in labs, where working in teams was necessary, I kicked rear end - especially when I had a good lab group and we all respected each other.

My career, so far, has been more like working in a lab group than a study group.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Dangbe posted:

Is anyone in here studying electromagnetism? And if so, what does this involve? I'm trying to find information on what an electromagnetic engineer does but it is kind of convoluted and isn't explaining what kind of things are learned through this path of study. I assume there is a lot of physics but what makes this different from a physics degree? Also if you are in grad school please tell me what types of things you are doing academically.

I studied EE in undergrad, then did an MSEE in electromagnetism.

Most E&M research groups can be split into either computational stuff (FEM, FDTD, MoM, etc) and theoretical stuff. Both apply themselves to making new and better devices (amplifiers, filters, mixers, matching networks, antennas, etc) or to studying other electromagnetic problems (EMI, EMC, propagation in various environments, etc). Computational guys also work a lot on improving simulation methods (speed and/or accuracy). Both will include the same basic theory, but the theory guys will do a bit more stuff on paper and a bit less stuff on the computer.

If you're a theory guy who writes a paper describing how a new type of filter works, with equations, along with simulation results (inputs and outputs), and experimental results, you can bet good money that within a few months, a paper will come out by a computational guy that shows exactly what your filter is doing between the input and output with all sorts of fancy diagrams.

Courses I studied in grad school:

Applications of the Finite Element Method to Field Problems
Electromagnetic Theory
Computational Electrodynamics (FDTD stuff)

Medical Imaging
EMC, Sensors, & Instrumentation

My research in grad school was on microwave devices using metamaterials (transmission lines with a negative permittivity and permeability).

Also in fourth year I took Microwave Circuits and Radio & Microwave Wireless Systems, plus all the usual EM courses.

Outside of this stuff, there's not much other 'physics,' given that all of this stuff is physics, of course. If I had gone on to do a PhD, I would have branched out a bit into optics/photonics, and quantum mechanics.

When I finished my MSEE, I had a job offer in the defense industry, designing waveguide components (filters, mux, demux) for satellites. I didn't take it and went into a different industry. No regrets, but that satellite job would have been cool as hell.

More questions? Let me know.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Zachsta posted:

Are there any options for getting a Bachelor of Engineering degree part time? Specifically mechanical? I'm interested in the subjects of renewable energy and HVAC systems, and I'd like to learn formally about it, but I don't want to go back to being a full time student.

Yes and yes.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Skycks posted:

Would it be prudent to double specialize as an Electrical Engineer? Like most EE's I'm assuming, I'm most interested in Microelectronics and communication circuits and the like. So I want to take that sequence of courses. But then all I hear is if you want it to be easy to find a job after graduating, the High Power route is the way to go, because every big building and city grid in America needs EE's to do the job. I was also wanting to get a minor in computer science to go along with my first specialization. Is this a good idea to have all these tools under my belt so to speak, or should I just stick with one specialization?

I just read an article in Spectrum (from mid-2008, I think) with industry insiders saying that analog guys and RF guys are golden these days. Moreso if you have an MSEE.

I would skip the comp sci minor. Too much work for too little gain. The stuff you learned probably wouldn't be very useful at all for circuit design. Instead, take comm courses like DSP, wireless communications, digital communications, etc, to get a good understanding of the types of signals your circuits will be handling, in addition to your courses on analog and digital electronics.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

leo_r posted:

Does anyone know anything about summer internships in Canada? I'm studying aerospace engineering in the UK, but I'm originally Canadian. All the public sector stuff seems to have a very confusing application process through some central organisation, or is directly linked to universities. Not studying in Canada, finding information about placements (or how to apply) is pretty tricky. The UK aerospace industry is pretty much 1 company, who I don't really want to work for.

Anyone got any advice? Should I look into the US? If anyones at school in Canada and can send me any decent internship application info, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks

I can't give much advice, but I hope you remembered to check out Bombardier and MDA.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Baloogan posted:

You don't need to take engineering to be an engineer, any hard science will do.

Programming, physics, mathematics and a good attitude are all you need.

Not quite. Unfortunately a math or physics degree won't get you an engineering license in Ontario, for example.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Vivek posted:

Not all engineers are licensed.

In this province to do any engineering work that involves public safety and welfare, you need to be licensed. I don't know anything about other jurisdictions.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Does anyone have experience with getting jobs outside of the engineering industry with an engineering degree? I'm about to graduate with an aerospace degree, did like 3 different co-op tours and another summer internship, but I've decided I totally hate engineering.

You can go into teaching or finance without any additional education. You'd probably have to teach in a private school unless you also happen to have a BEd. You'd probably get a lovely financial job and would have to take additional certifications in the near future.

I know people who went on these paths and they're doing fine and are happy.

Or, of course, if you are willing to go back to school you can do anything.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Sweet As Sin posted:

I just decided this semester to actually major in EE.

One of my teachers says there's a lot of money in power generation.

I wouldn't say it's a lot of money compared to other engineering jobs. But there are good jobs.

Plus doing it for the money is stupid. Do it because it interests you.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Colmface posted:

I'm about 8.5 months done with a one-year EE internship at a research centre for a multi-national company. I received the internship through my school and one of the perks of doing these internships is that they should count towards the time spent as an EIT, so I should receive my PEng sooner.

However, research being research, my job is fairly tedious and fairly basic. I simply run the tests and help with maintaining the test setups. Usually, I don't perform any data analysis either. To this point, this internship is the only job experience I have on my resume. I know that the majority of engineering jobs are not like this, but I'm left feeling like I'm going to be woefully underprepared for life after school and thus, going to have a hard time finding a job. I've picked up a lot of "soft skills", but no real new technical knowledge besides some bits and pieces about material science.

Should I be concerned about this, or should I try to not let it bother me so much?

I wouldn't be concerned; long term you'll be fine. You may have trouble convincing the PEO that you're doing acceptable engineering work, though. Have your written your pre-graduation experience report yet?

In future interviews, play up the soft skills and use other examples from the job in answers to behavioral questions in future interviews. Use your technical knowledge from school.

That said, I don't know where exactly you're in school, but I would report this to the PEY office or whatever. It sounds like you're working as a technician, not an engineering intern. No future students should repeat the same internship.

I had a great experience during my internship between third and fourth years. The company gave me a lot of responsibility and interesting work. Virtually all of my friends had similar experiences.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Wilhelm posted:

What's everyone's strategy for seeking employment? I've been applying around and following up but... :( (Currently a second year civil engineer in Ontario)

Summer employment?

Use your school's career centre. If your school has an intership program for third year students, try to get access to that just to see the company listings. Think of every company you know and go directly to their websites. Don't forget about municipal, provincial, and federal government jobs. Use Monster, Workopolis, Craigslist, etc. Make cold calls.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

kriminal posted:

Do you know of specific companies that can do the training? All the positions I have seen require at 3 to 5 years experience in the field or knowledge of specialized equipments.

Given how willing you are to do unpopular work, you may have above-average luck with cold calling.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

All right: management blows.

My boss was on vacation last week, and I took over a lot of his stuff. I didn't do ANY technical work - just putting out fires with the client over stupid poo poo. gently caress that noise.

Or if I do ever have a stroke and decide management will be right for me, I'll try to do at least a half day of real work each week.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Kire posted:

To the PhD's out there: According to some PhD biologists, they said not to go for a PhD thinking that it would improve job prospects, because it only prepares a person for academic research, which isn't what most companies are interested in. Does this hold true for engineering?

I'm pretty sure the field I want to go into (satellite design, and hopefully stuff beyond Earth) has no corporate or military presence so academia is where I should stay. Confirm/Deny/Wildly Speculate?

Edit:

http://myrmecos.net/2011/06/05/career-advice-from-bug-girl/

You should not pursue a PhD unless you're interested in a career in research.

My company hires PhD engineers. They start off at the same pay grade as someone with a masters degree in the exact same position. In the five years they spent earning that degree, they lost out on what, a quarter million before taxes? Honestly, I feel badly for the guys.

I had a job offer to work in satellite design with a masters in electromagnetics. You don't need a PhD.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Bondage posted:

Will getting my BS in Engineering at the ripe old age of 32 hinder my job prospects that much?

Not in itself, no.

What came before it?

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

I want to go to grad school. I feel like my BSEE gave me a good background in everything, but feeling stagnant at my current job has me thinking that I'd really like to go more in depth on the topics I'm interested in - modeling & embedded controls for electric machines. I have three years of work experience in this area.

However, my undergrad GPA sucks - it's a 2.74, if I'm not mistaken. There wasn't any trend, I just generally got mediocre grades because I didn't apply myself. I'm worried about how to show that I'm internally motivated now. I'm worried about recommendation letters - my boss will write me a glowing one but I need two more.

Ideally, I'd like to go to grad school in Colorado. CU Boulder is probably out of reach and Mines might be too but I'm hoping I can find a way into CSU Ft. Collins.

So, what the gently caress do I do? I'm already taking the GRE next week. One thing I've been thinking about a lot recently is just quitting my job, moving to the Denver area, finding a new job once I get there, and meanwhile taking non-degree graduate-level classes. Is this a stupid idea/career suicide?

Why don't you just look for a new job that has a greater focus on your interests? I'd avoid going back to school, if possible.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Lt Moose posted:

Can anyone tell me what the job market is like for EE's focusing in power systems? I'm a junior who just switched from CompE to EE to focus in this. Right now I'm pretty interested in renewable power - wind and solar mainly, but I'm thinking if I can get an internship at a company that deals with power I'll eventually be able to work with these systems.
I've had two interviews with utilities this fall, but nothing has really came of that. My GPA isn't stellar (2.95), which I'm guessing had a part in it, but I'm really working to be above a 3.0 after this semester, so hopefully the spring career fair will produce something.

Hiring in Canada too.

Maybe it's you. Try to practice your interview skills. Does your university have a career centre that can run a mock interview? Your GPA is fine.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

A scene from my old engineering student bar. I stopped by recently because it has the cheapest beer around.

Some things never change!

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

St1cky posted:

Would it be worth going back for a Mech. E bachelors if I:
-Already have an Econ degree
-And would be graduating at the age of 28?

I started out as an engineer but due to being 18 and lazy ended up not making it through my freshmen year and switched to an Econ BA. Now that I've been out of school and working for awhile I'm finding myself jealous of my friends that actually did get their engineering degrees. I'm mostly concerned with what the Job prospects would be and also the internship/co-op prospects.

Your age and other degree are fine. Depending on your interests, you could easily use that econ degree and your engineering degree in your future career.

Smart people who are good communicators will always get jobs.

But doing something based on jealousy is stupid. If that's truly your primary motivation, don't do it.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

Sir Vanderhosen posted:

I have a degree in computer engineering and my first job has me doing mostly physics/applied math type algorithms and magnetic modeling. The work is alright but not really what I want to do for the rest of my life.

My question is if I stay here for any significant amount of time, is it going to make it difficult to get a job doing something different? Id rather have a job pertaining more to what I actually went to school for (embedded systems and what not).

The longer you stay, the harder it will get.

If you want to switch, but are not able to do it right away, do everything in your power to stay up-to-date in embedded systems. Join the societies, read the websites, etc. You will be walking into a job interview in the future and you need to be able to talk like you eat, drink, and poo poo embedded systems. You will be able to talk about your present job from behavioral and general engineering perspectives.

I just switched industries after three years (power to communications). I had gone to school for communications (well, EM and some comm) and not power - similar to your situation. Timing worked out well because I got a promotion from engineer to senior engineer too.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

KaiserBen posted:

Power, and do field work for a supplier in the power or industrial equipment (VFD, large motor, automation, etc). Has taken me all over the world, though you'd better not be picky; you'll spend most of your time in the developing world. IIRC we're hiring at the moment, I'll check into that this afternoon.

This. Buddy of mine is all over the place. It takes him away from his fiance for 4-5 weeks in a stretch, then he's back for a week or two, then he's off again.

When he's not in the sticks, he's in third-world poo poo holes where he needs to be escorted by armed guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

Man, it's funny how different the mentality seems to be Canada vs the States re grades.

Maybe I just didn't apply to the right places when I graduated, but literally not once did I get asked for my grades, and none of my buddies seemed to get asked either. It's probably a good thing, as my average wasn't the best, but I blame that more on not being a good test writer. I was top 10-15% in every design course, and bottom 30% of most of my test based courses. Course, I took as many design courses as I did, and was involved in design stuff outside of school, so that gave me lots to talk about in interviews. I know where I work the hiring process seems to focus more on project experience & how much you bring to a team, rather than pure knowledge.

I think our top guys put it best when he said something along the lines of I can teach anyone with an engineering degree 95% of the technical things they'll need to know without any issue. Teaching someone how to be part of the team is a lot harder.

I put mine on my resume. It doesn't get you the job, but I think it helps you get the interview.