Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I’m taking an intro to engineering programming course this summer and I’m going to do a codecademy course in my downtime to learn some concepts.

I’m trying to decide what language to delve into just to start learning and, while im leaning toward python, I figured I’d get some input from you guys as to what might be most useful to get started.

If your school is like mine, you should be able to figure out which language you'll be learning for class based on the course number you plan to register for. All things else considered equal, I'd learn that one.

otherwise, i'd say the primary difficulty in programming is thinking about how to approach the problem in a way the computer is good at, and the rest is googling the correct syntax for the language you want to use.

for beginners, javascript is nice because it runs in the browser and do fun stuff like manipulate web pages.

python is a very nice language for learning imo. i did the 'automate the boring stuff with python' course which focuses on applications rather than esoteric 'now we build a for loop'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Qubee posted:

I graduated with a BSc in Mechanical Engineering and have been working in a petrochemical plant for almost three years now. Work feels meaningless. Everything boils down to just increasing profits for shareholders. Project deadlines absolutely destroy your mental health and after all is said and done, it means nothing. I do not feel like my job has any meaningful impact. Office culture and environment feels like a remnant of the early '00s. Management doesn't seem to want to change with the times.

Thinking of doing Dentistry, as a scholarship is possible so I wouldn't be saddling myself with debt. I think I would be overall happier in this line of work, as my work has a tangible impact and I'm bettering peoples' lives. Does anyone know of any Mechanical Engineers who have transitioned from engineering to dentistry? Is it crazy?

Try the government. Not creating Shareholder Value(TM) was one of my primary motivators. Deadlines are much less serious, and the work is generally on public goods, an ME would fit well into a water utility. There you can turn the tap and see the benefit of the work you do. Clean pure water running right to your house.