Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
My father has been in aerospace engineering for over 30 years now. One of the first things he told me going into college was to NOT study engineering. His story is kind of hosed up because he was essentially a mechanical engineer and then as we got all that fly-by-wire stuff and flying became more digital he's now doing electrical engineering work despite having years of experience in mechanical stuff.

Needless to say if he lost his job he'll probably never find a new one because of his age among other things. But yeah, it simply isn't worth it to be an engineer nowadays, they're a dime a dozen and if you live in Canada there's no jobs for engineers. Especially since we got tons of Chinese immigrants who all go to study Engineering. If you ever been to Waterloo or UofT engineering its pure asian. You'll end up working in a furniture factory, or some other factory where you test some piece of metal to see how long it'll bend back and forth before it breaks or something. The pay won't be more than 50 grand a year. There just isn't much reward for working your rear end off and breaking your head on thermodynamics and fluid mechanics just so a bunch of morons in these so called engineering firms mop the floor with you and disrespect you despite the level of distinction and study it takes to be an engineer.

Remember for every 1 of you who call yourselves engineers here in North America, there's 4-5 more Indians who can be paid off all together with your salary and each one of them will do twice as much work as you. My father's firm is already exporting a lot of their engineering work to India.

Do yourself a favor, if you like numbers, be an accountant and get a CA or study finance and get a CFA. The money is better and despite what they tell you about the economy, you're guaranteed a job if you have these designations.

EDIT: That being said this is purely written from an aerospace engineering perspective in Canada where we don't really have a demand for that sort of thing. In the United States it could be totally different.

I do want to know if there's much demand for Nuclear Engineers and the engineers involved in natural resource extraction. Anyway know anything about that? I'd imagine with the recent energy problems and just the fact that many Nuclear engineers are approach retirement that it's entirely possible there will be a serious demand for them soon.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
I'm considering going back to school someday for Nuclear Engineering so if I can get some info on that, it would help me out. Specifically I want to know which places are best to learn that sort of thing. I'm primarily interested in reactor safety, design and controls.