Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Well I wish my Ultramarines looked that nice, but at least here the first part of my oath for this month.

I decided to leave the eyes because I am awful at getting pupils, and for the Chief Librarian I felt it was fitting, like he is in the middle of bringing fourth his powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cataphract posted:

Got my first lot of 8th legion marines done.

These guys look dope, could we get some closeups? I'd love to check em out more.

adamantium|wang posted:

gently caress it, too lazy to take better pictures. Test combat squad is done:

These guys look awesome! I don't see 5th Company Ultramarines very often.

Uroboros posted:

Well I wish my Ultramarines looked that nice, but at least here the first part of my oath for this month.

I decided to leave the eyes because I am awful at getting pupils, and for the Chief Librarian I felt it was fitting, like he is in the middle of bringing fourth his powers.
Don't sell yourself short! Tiggy is looking good here. Personally I like painting eyes in, but it does work for the Librarian schtick, definitely.

Just pretend I quoted everything, there's some good poo poo on this page.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I'm going to do some cracked earth mars bases and I'll be using Agrellan Earth for the foundation. Does anyone have any tips for making sure it doesn't flake or peel away after drying? I'll be drybrushing at some stage so it needs to be fairly stable.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Miles O'Brian posted:

I'm going to do some cracked earth mars bases and I'll be using Agrellan Earth for the foundation. Does anyone have any tips for making sure it doesn't flake or peel away after drying? I'll be drybrushing at some stage so it needs to be fairly stable.

Seal it, dry brush, seal that.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

adamantium|wang posted:

These are a great example of the fact that you don't need crazy blending or advanced stuff to get some :krad: mans

A neat basecoat and a sharp highlight is what its all about

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

adamantium|wang posted:

I think your blue has improved noticeably since you posted the earlier versions. The eyes look really good too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Uroboros posted:

It would look a shitton better if you got some decent lighting and adjusted the levels so that the whites were actually white.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

Crisp highlights, great contrast, super solid job dude

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
I ended up pulling the trigger on that airbrush starter setup you folks recommended, so I am anxious to get cracking with that. I'd seen in a couple videos of various youtube painters that they do their airbrushing in small office setups seemingly without spray booths (though I don't doubt they at least wear masks) but I'm still looking to get a feel for safety-sake--if you mask up while painting with an air brush is it generally A-OK a ways afterward then? I'm not planning on going hog wild with huge battalions or anything but I am cagey.

In different news finally got around to ordering nuln oil and agrax earthshade to have on-hand for options and I was curious if anyone had a good bead on how some of the different paint line mainstay washes shake out between one another.

The bulk of my painting supplies were started up with an army painter set and then later expanded a good deal with reaper paints and then I've got an ancient decade+ old big box of hexagonal citadel paints with the flip-tops (the taller thinner ones rather than the shorter broader ones.) From those, I've -still- got 'armor wash' and 'flesh wash' etc. but I've been primarily painting using army painter's Soft Tone / Strong Tone / Dark Tone washes when I've used them since I started painting again--I'm curious where things might match up.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

spacegoat posted:

dat gradiation...

he gradiated top of his class...

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
You know, I'd *LIKE* my Ultramarines to look like those, but I just don't like painting enough to put in the effort.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

It would look a shitton better if you got some decent lighting and adjusted the levels so that the whites were actually white.

Better?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

I'm certainly interested in whatever you have to say, but I think the main things I know I am looking for more info on is:

-Info on casting materials you like to use and why. Particularly for gravity casting, so like metals and resin or plastic when applicable.
-----Where are some good places to get said casting materials.
-What you like to make your molds out of
-----Any tips on making the mold that a beginner is likely to screw up (ie. making sure to put in enough air vents in the right places, release agents)
-Just general mold making and casting tips or experiences you may have. Not so much the basics of how to make one but things you have learned or points where someone is likely to screw the whole thing up.
-If there are anythings to pay attention to when doing certain types of models or scales that tend to be a pain or just different for this process

Thanks and glad to hear your arm is healing and that splint is coming off soon.

OK, so to clarify, I don't do gravity casting with metal. That is coming on a future project, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet. I'm sure you're aware of this, but that Oomo you picked up will NOT do metal, as it won't withstand the heat as far as I am aware. Mold Max 60 is the only RTV rubber from Smooth On that I know of that will stand up to the heat of liquid metal. :black101:

All of my metal casting thus far has been with centrifugal molds on a jury-rigged, umm, rig. This is a setup that most people are unlikely to have, so I won't really go into too much detail, unless someone really wants some info.

Scales and stuff: I haven't really run into anything that is particularly difficult regarding scale - obviously, smaller can be more difficult, but it depends on the design of the model. You just have to really sit there and plan when you're looking at your master. It's something that comes with experience - "Oh yeah, I'm going to run into problems with that undercut. I'm going to have to rethink this..."

Thin items are the worst - sometimes they restrict resin/metal/airflow, and sometimes they break when you're demolding. I've got some calvary I am casting in metal and roughly 50% of the models snap at the ankle every time. Fortunately, metal miscasts go back into the melter to try again.

Resin casting: I use Smooth-On Mold Max 25 (RTV) and Smooth-Cast 321 (Resin). I buy the gallon containers directly from Smooth-On. I either have it shipped, or if I have a buddy in the area and he happens to be going that way, I'll have him pick it up.

For metal, I order from a metal supplier - they have razor wire and armed guards and everything. I use 92A, which has about a 5% lead content. I should probably look into switching to 92-8 which is lead free.

Ok, things to be aware of:

Work in a clean area - My workstations tend to become messy with all the stuff I try to do. Eventually, it becomes a hinderance and causes you to lose things when you need them most, screw things up, and generally start yelling at yourself and inanimate objects. Keep your work area clean - clutter up the rest of the house.

Master setup - Before I set up to cast anything, I look at the model and determine how best to cast it. Is it going to be a one part, two part, clamshell? Where are the vents going? How am I going to get resin to the model? Is there anythign weird about the model I need to accomodate? I cast a four-legged monster - it came out well, but it was a bitch to map out how I was going to cut that mold to remove the cast. Look for undercuts - they will be difficult to work around until you understand how the process works.

Venting - Make sure your vents are high enough up on the model to allow for all air to escape. Think about vent placement before you even make your mold - look at your master and determine where the best placement for a channel and vents are.

Equipment - If you're going to cast resin with any regularity or volume, you need the proper equipment. I highly recommend a vacuum pot and pressure pot. If you're going to choose, take the vacuum pot - you can get by with a vibration table instead of the pressure pot. I recommend both if you can get away with it though.

Patience - Take your time. Do it slow and correctly the first time, or you're going to be doing it all over again. Think about your process - I hosed up a mold a few weeks ago by cutting an opening in the wrong side of the mold. I was able to salvage it, but I was on autopilot and wasn't paying attention and could have lost it and hours of work.

Safety - Use safety equipment. When I cast with metal, I use safety glasses, thick gloves, and a respirator. This hobby isn't worth losing an eye over, or burns from dumping molten metal down your leg.

Let me know if you need clarification or want to know more. Sorry it took so long - that splint was a bitch.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

serious gaylord posted:

Thats some real nice leather. If you don't mind me being super critical, theres bits of obvious banding where maybe you didn't break up the wash lines with stippling enough. You can see it most clearly in the picture furthest to the left. But apart from that I really like it.

I was going to say that that's partially intentional due to the way the coat would get a lot more mud and dust on it near the bottom, but I totally see what you're saying here, and agree that it could use some more blending, thanks for the crit.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Looking great dude. Your highlighting is nice and neat and aside from a couple of tiny flecks that you only ever notice when you take a picture you don't have any bleed over from one area to the next. Only things I'd think about doing would be to take a fine brush and apply a wash to some of the metals and maybe the face and robes to add some more contrast. Also add a bit more highlighting to the green on the staff and the bolt pistol as a whole and they'll both be better defined.

You're at that point where your fundamental skills are solid, only place to go from here is up :)

e: And thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm pretty pleased with how they ended up coming together.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 4, 2015

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

Looking great dude. Your highlighting is nice and neat and aside from a couple of tiny flecks that you only ever notice when you take a picture you don't have any bleed over from one area to the next. Only things I'd think about doing would be to take a fine brush and apply a wash to some of the metals and maybe the face and robes to add some more contrast. Also add a bit more highlighting to the green on the staff and the bolt pistol as a whole and they'll both be better defined.

You're at that point where your fundamental skills are solid, only place to go from here is up :)

e: And thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm pretty pleased with how they ended up coming together.

Might you have a decent tutorial vid? Basically I've been going base, wash, highlight, edge highlight(for like the light blue and red). When it comes to the metal I did leadbelcher followed by a nuln oil wash, and then dry brushed runefang steel on there, are you saying I should do another wash after this?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I can't think of a video that shows what I'm on about off the top of my head, but I guess things depend a bit on how you're doing the wash. Are you applying it in just the recesses or going over the whole segment? Even though it might not pool over flat areas an acrylic wash will still tint anything it touches and darken whatever its sitting on. If you are putting a wash on the whole part I'd get a spare Marine and try washing after you've done all your highlights to see what effect that has on things, and then maybe go back again with a small edge highlight with your highlight colour if things are too dark. If you're not I'd go back one more time with a thinned down wash and stick it just into the deepest parts and joints to up the contrast.

Right now I'm finding it pretty relaxing to get a 3/0 brush and painting thinned down Badab Black into all my armour grooves but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea :v: I picked up one of these on eBay pretty cheaply as well and its been helping a ton:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

berzerkmonkey posted:

Casting stuff...

Let me know if you need clarification or want to know more. Sorry it took so long - that splint was a bitch.

Awesome, thanks. Very useful. I didn't think of searching for pewter ingots by 92-8 before but now that I am it is making it easier to find.

I will be doing some casting with the oommo 300 plastic for now I think. I just #1 like the idea of metal casting and #2 think it will be a better material for making things like dollies where I want to be able to move them around at least somewhat before doing a final sculpt on top of them.

For the air vents, can you have too many or is there a point where you just don't need them? From some things I have been reading it seems like you need them on just about anything that sticks out. So, for the below just as an example, should you have, say, one vent per spear tip and per helmet point?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

A shitton, yes

It takes very little work and it shows how good your painting is. You just need a steadier hand on the eyes, and maybe some highlighting on the lenses/gems and this is pretty perfect. Great work.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

A shitton, yes

It takes very little work and it shows how good your painting is. You just need a steadier hand on the eyes, and maybe some highlighting on the lenses/gems and this is pretty perfect. Great work.

Thanks, I think I might also need a couple new brushes...I have the citadel set, and after painting for the past 7 months I've been alittle rough on them. It doesn't help that Tigurius already looks like he is squinting as his eyes are little slits, unlike some other guys I've done. Looking at it this close up I am unsure what I should use on the red gems, I am already using a Mephiston Red with a little Wild Rider, so maybe I just need another coat. As for the Green on the staff, it doesn't really have the pop I was hoping, unfortunately Warpstone Glow is the only green I have. I was thinking of putting some Auric Armor Gold in the space in between, and maybe doing a very fine RuneFang Steel highlight on the green parts, thoughts?

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 5, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

What colours you use is nowhere near as important as how you use them:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=paint+gems&tbm=isch

If you have red, white and yellow, you can mix the colours to paint red gems. If you have green, white and yellow you can mix the colours to paint green gems (and highlight green generally). Knowing where to put the shades and highlights on your gems really makes them come alive. It's the little details that really make the difference.

And yeah, buy some better brushes, the GW ones are pretty poo poo, I gather.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone know of a textured plastic siding with a texture like that in the below image? I'm not seeing anything like it in the plastruct catalog.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

Awesome, thanks. Very useful. I didn't think of searching for pewter ingots by 92-8 before but now that I am it is making it easier to find.

I will be doing some casting with the oommo 300 plastic for now I think. I just #1 like the idea of metal casting and #2 think it will be a better material for making things like dollies where I want to be able to move them around at least somewhat before doing a final sculpt on top of them.

For the air vents, can you have too many or is there a point where you just don't need them? From some things I have been reading it seems like you need them on just about anything that sticks out. So, for the below just as an example, should you have, say, one vent per spear tip and per helmet point?

You do know they sell sculpting dollies in 28mm right? Might save you some time. Also, a lot of sculptors just use wire at that scale. Hellbeard would be the expert on that.

As for the venting, yes, more is better, but more is not always necessary. I would say that, depending on how you situate that example stand in the mold, you would only need one or two small vents. In my case, I would angle the stand at about 45 degrees with the spears opposite of the direction of spin. Then I would do a test spin and see what happened. With resin, you're going to need a lot of vents because you don't have that centripetal (?) force to push the metal into the tighter spaces. With resin, the incoming resin will displace air up into the spears, so all the spears would likely need venting.

nesbit37 posted:

Anyone know of a textured plastic siding with a texture like that in the below image? I'm not seeing anything like it in the plastruct catalog.

That's probably cut card rectangles pasted onto the walls. GW used to do that all the time.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

berzerkmonkey posted:

You do know they sell sculpting dollies in 28mm right? Might save you some time. Also, a lot of sculptors just use wire at that scale. Hellbeard would be the expert on that.

Yeah, I have used those 28mm ones before. These would be for 10mm. I don't now anyone that sells the so figure I need to make them.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

This is the first mini I've actually finished in years and I'm quite happy with it. Would anyone like to give me some advice for next time?

This is my first time using washes successfully and also my first time trying to use glaze medium for highlights. I left too much paint on the brush the first few times, I think I can do better next time.

-or any tips on how to take better photos would be appreciated, too.

Medium Style fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 5, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
You painted that straight out of the gate after years of no practice and not having used washes successfully before?

My only advice to you is to stay on good terms with whatever demon you signed a pact with. Those always come with hidden costs.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

JerryLee posted:

You painted that straight out of the gate after years of no practice and not having used washes successfully before?

My only advice to you is to stay on good terms with whatever demon you signed a pact with. Those always come with hidden costs.

Well thanks, but key word is "finished". I had some junk models from years ago that I practiced washes on. This is the first model in a long time that I didn't abandon half way through.

I did not word that post clearly, sorry.

Medium Style fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 5, 2015

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Medium Style posted:

This is the first mini I've actually finished in years and I'm quite happy with it. Would anyone like to give me some advice for next time?

This is my first time using washes successfully and also my first time trying to use glaze medium for highlights. I left too much paint on the brush the first few times, I think I can do better next time.

Just put my khador to shame...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Medium Style posted:

That's super tight, dude. You got a pretty good handle on red already from the looks of it, which is a problematic color for a lot of people. Some thoughts:

* Did you highlight by mixing red with white? It sort of looks like it, and that's not a terribly great idea. You want to highlight with a brighter red, or orange; something like Reaper Triad colors is great for this very reason.

* You can still see some red on the gold symbol on the shield. Should probably tidy that up. In addition, there's a bit too much black wash on the lower metal (grey?) half of the shield.

* Consider doing a thin highlight of silver on the edges of the gold. Just where the highest points would be; it really helps give the gold more pop. Some purple wash in the recesses also makes it look more rich, but be sparing with that.

As for photos: have at least two light sources, preferably three. One coming from to the left and the right, and a third on top. Diffuse the lights through either a thin sheet, or some vellum (tracing) paper, or even an empty bottle; use natural sunlight bulbs, or bright white LEDs. If you can, make a light box, they're easy to make and there's dozens of tutorials out there on how to do it.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Thanks!

- Yes, I did mix red and white. My last attempt couple years ago at painting red Khador had orange highlights and I thought it looked more orange than red, so I tried something different.
- I'll try to clean up the shield. I'm afraid that if I try to touch up the gold symbol I'm going to get gold everywhere, but I might as well give it a shot.
- I'll do some silver along the edges of the gold. I was trying to make it look more bronze and less gold... any tips on that?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Medium Style posted:

- I'll do some silver along the edges of the gold. I was trying to make it look more bronze and less gold... any tips on that?

Short of using bronze paint, just brown washes with maybe a wash of black on top until it's dark enough to your liking.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

Short of using bronze paint, just brown washes with maybe a wash of black on top until it's dark enough to your liking.

Putting Agrax Earthshade wash on Balthasar Gold makes it look completely bronze to my eyes.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Start with a really bright silver and use lots of layers of sepia wash.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

I've been using this for my attempts at bronze, although if you want the more polished look, you'll want to highlight up to gold+silver.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've been looking for 6mm dollies, but that doesn't seem to be a thing. :P Guess it's just wires for me.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but Wyrd have a painting competition starting in April, sign up ends 31st March - to be honest, it sounds kinda similar to our oath threads but with elimination.

In a nutshell, you get paired up with someone for each round, models are judged and the highest scoring of each pairing goes through to the next round. There's some prizes up for grabs :)

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/107060-iron-painter-2015/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

Yeah, I have used those 28mm ones before. These would be for 10mm. I don't now anyone that sells the so figure I need to make them.
Oh yeah - sorry. I know the skeletons I just had done were just sculpted onto a wire armature. I sent an email to Bob and ask him for a photo of what he uses and any tips he's willing to give. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

lilljonas posted:

I've been looking for 6mm dollies, but that doesn't seem to be a thing. :P Guess it's just wires for me.
I know of a guy who does commission Epic sculpts - he's absolutely amazing and everything is hand sculpted. Don't know what he uses for an armature though. You might want to look into CAD at that scale. I've seen a lot of good 6mm lately that was originally done in CAD - mostly armored figures though.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh yeah - sorry. I know the skeletons I just had done were just sculpted onto a wire armature. I sent an email to Bob and ask him for a photo of what he uses and any tips he's willing to give. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

I know of a guy who does commission Epic sculpts - he's absolutely amazing and everything is hand sculpted. Don't know what he uses for an armature though. You might want to look into CAD at that scale. I've seen a lot of good 6mm lately that was originally done in CAD - mostly armored figures though.

I think floral wires armature is most common at 6mm, but I've also seen some people making adjustments to exising minis by filing off details and modeling on top of it, and using those as masters. If I were to do it it would be 6mm Ming period Chinese, so it would probably not be suitable for CAD.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

I have a clamp-on model with the light and everything but I wasn't able to use it. The magnification and extra light is great, but looking from the magnified model under the lens back to my paint pallet or water gave me headaches, it was just too extreme of a focus change. Oddly enough, I thought it would help with eye strain headaches so I didn't need to have my face so close to the mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentos
Apr 14, 2008

The Freshmaker!
I am adding Rough riders to a Vostroyan army, and since Attillans are discontinued I opted for DRK with a similar palette. I think they fit thematically but look a little off, since GW miniatures have such exaggerated proportions. BTW I also gloss all my minis.

• Locked thread