Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crappy picture, sorry.

Novamarines Captain (Counts-as Pedro Kantor)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys

I don't really post my stuff very often, as I think I'm a terrible painter, but I wanted to share these. I think they look okay, for being just core choices. I'll definitely put more work into my characters. Anyway, let me know what you think!

Frost Ogres:

I'll be basing them with rocks and snow...as they are Frost (or ice) Ogres.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Went ahead and painted up one of my Mournfang's for my Frost Ogres.

The wash is still drying, so that's why the fur looks shiny.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nash posted:

Are you planning on doing a big of highlighting or drybrushing the fur?

I wasnt originally, but now i am, yeah.

Also, does anyone use wood glue for their basing instead of PVA?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a guide for painting Grey Knights to an above table top standard? I really like the look of the "Blue Steel" Grey Knights, with the Mithril Silver armor and Azurmen Blue wash, but i cant for the life of me find a guide.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Angryboot posted:

Taken a look at this one yet?

I havent, but this is perfect. Thanks!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Painted up one of my Frost Ogres Leadbelchers. Any advice? Im trying really hard to improve my skill, but these still feel sloppy to me.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

If you're reading this post, get the gently caress out of your house and buy some pots of Mephiston Red and Ceramite White.

Now.

:flashfap:

I tried to yesterday. All out. So instead I got Leadbelcher.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Yog-Sothoth posted:

crossposting oath ogre

15 more to finish heh

I really dig these, man. I avoided doing actual flesh tones myself, but you did a bang up job.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting the latest addition to my Frost (Angry Smurf) Ogres!

Snow theme is a bit hard to do, but I'm pleased with it.

The whole unit!

Artsy shot!

Thunderer

Side shot

Other side

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Yog-Sothoth posted:

^isn't it in an aerosol can, generally?

crosspost party!

linky for big

Too good to be on the bottom of the last page. AWESOME Ogres, man.

How did you do the bloody hands?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting for those that dont read the Warhammer Fantasy thread.

I've recently ran into some money troubles and must part with my Ogres. If anyone is interested here's the link to my Barter Town post, or you can email me at SPQRDanny@gmail.com

Army consists of:

Ogre Kingdoms Army Book
Converted Tyrant
Paymaster Maneater
Female Maneater
Gorger
Ironblaster
2 Mournfang
16 Ironguts
10 Ogres
7 Leadbelchers
35 Gnoblars

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Second attmept at a Grey Knight. I really like the dark grey armor and silver highlights. Also, this is my first attempt ever with OSL. How bad did i do?

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 29, 2012

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dominion posted:

Its hard to tell from the photo, but it looks good on the shoulderpad and bad on the arm, to me. I think maybe its too heavy and harsh on the arm, so it looks less like light and more like...well, blue paint smeared on his arm. I think on the shoulderpad it looks pretty boss though.

Touched it up and spread the light a bit.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

One thing to note is that you probably want to have the light source brighter - much brighter. With the exception of fire, which has its own problems, I've rarely seen OSL work really well when the light source isn't close to white in colour. It's like with lightsabres - if you look at them on screen, you expect them to have a colour, but actually, the core of the blade is nearly white, and the colour comes from the edges and the, for want of a better term, OSL.

But then, I'm poo poo at OSL, so I may be wrong.

No, this is what almost every tutorial says. Ill give it a second go today, and post after.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sole.Sushi posted:

The real problem I'm seeing with this is that there is OSL on the arm and all the way down to the shoulder pad... But not on parts of the hammer or the purity seal. :(

Also mold burrs.

Lightened the hammer with a skull white + dab of Ice Blue dry brush, washed and feathered the light.

I think thats as best as I can get this guy. Luckily i have 4 more terminators and 5 PAGK's to practice on.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

UnsubRedun posted:

I think the primary problem here is that the blue paint is too strong. I take it you're trying to get a glow from the hammer? I have no tips for you if you're using an airbrush, since I don't use one myself, but I think you might be too close? If it's a lighting thing, there's going to be a lot more falloff than you have there. You need a stronger gradient from blue to black.

Nope, just a paint brush. This is the first time I've ever even tried OSL. Im still getting the hang of it. Unfortunately im not very good at wet blending or feathering, so getting the correct blend of color is a bit hard.

Im not giving up though!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did a PAGK. Im thinking of going over the OSL again and just taking it out. Still need to base him and touch a few things up, but i like it over all.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 30, 2012

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Taking the advice I was given, ditched the OSL, working on brush control and highlighting.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Takkaryx posted:

This looks much better. Proper thinning of paints is starting to show, and maybe some washes on the hammer. Now the real question is, how comfortable are you replicating this 19x over? If you did something on this mini and you're thinking, "Man, I could never get it to look that good again" ask here and we can probably give you a sekret technique. Mostly it'll be washes. Seriously, it's like applying liquid skill.

Im super comfortable. This is my normal level of painting when i take my time and dont rush. Im not doing anything on these models I havent done before (aside from the edge highlighting.)

Tonight I'm going to drop a blue wash on the hammer and follow it up with a super light Skull White drybrush. I'll also hit the reds with a second coat to get better coverage, as I dont want to go over them with brown. Not that I'm disregarding advice, but because i dont want to have 6 layers of paint. Following these models Im going to try working up to red from brown.

Ill post pics after Im done tonight.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Progress! Unfortunately I couldnt fix the edge highlighting on this guy without redoing all the armor, but I did fix the hammer and the red parts of the armor.

I did manage to bang out his 3 other squad mates though! Solid red coverage and controlled edge highlighting!

I appreciate the C&C, guys! Thanks for the pointers!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Horace-Noah posted:

hey guys, any ideas on what colour I should make "thy holy bolter"?
The rest of my army has red bolters, but I think that might be a bit too much red.
I was thinking gold could be a decent option.
What do you think?

I think gold would go good, like on the hand guard of the sword.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dominion posted:

Disgustingly awesome. What model is this, and where can I get it?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dominion posted:

It's Killjoy, from the Malifaux game. The base is from Scibor. It's a 50mm base, for scale reference.

Also of note, he's one solid piece of metal - zero assembly required.

You've inspired me to pick one up. Thanks for the info!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just recently got the Steampunk Dorothy model that I'm painting up for a friends birthday. I really want to do the best job I possibly can on this, so please, C&C on it!

The coat is that dark on purpose. Her favorite color is burgundy, so I wanted to incorporate it into the model.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ye Worse User-name posted:

I think it looks great, the skirt and coat are really sharp. Do you have a brassy or even bronzy metallic you could throw on the watch and chain and maybe her wrist device, just to make them pop a little more?

I say this as someone who couldn't do half as well as you've already accomplished though.

I actually don't have any copper/bronze, so I'm holding off on the metal bits until next week. Also still need to do the hat, goggles, dog and flowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Raphus C posted:

I made a flying battlewagon:

Closed top:

Open top:

Here is a better pic of the Deffrolla:

There is a boy flyin:

A boy Fixin:

And a boy droppin bombz:

This is a breakdown of the bitz:

The pilot and covers are removable. There is also a cannon that I have not painted.

Yellow sucks when you paint over black. I managed to get the white smoother. I am not great with vehicles. My paint always end up looking too thick. I did better with my red this time. I kept it thin and had much less paint on the brush. The yellow, however, was thick and horrible.

The door underneath the wagon was painted white first, then yellow on top of the white, which went on better. The GW white foundation seems to cover better than the yellow.

If I had thought I was going to go this bright, I would have just used a white primer, but I changed my mind after applying the black. It was going to be majority boltgun with patches of red, yellow and white.

I am very pleased with it though. I only have 1 Battlewagon left, so next month's oath has a model.

Edit:

Some fantastic sculpts here. I wish I had your ability. Really good work.

This is awesome. You are awesome. I especially like the boy hanging out of the window dropping bombs.

• Locked thread