Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
As soon as I get my camera working, I am so gonna fill this thread with my crappy paintjobs so as to get some constructive criticism.

First question though: How the heck is blending/feathering supposed to work? I want to do a red cape that fades to orange at the base, my idea so far is thus:
- Basecoat in Mechrite Red, wait to dry
- Coat bottom of cloak in Macharius Solar Orange, then dry out the brush and brush upwards from the still-wet orange paint
- Badab Black up in this bitch
- Drybrush with Golden Yellow

Thoughts? I'm kind of at a loss on how to do this, and want to give it a shot while I still have an assload of Descent models to paint

[EDIT] On testing, it seems that the above method blows chunks, and the best way to go is with judicious drybrushing of orange from the bottom up

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Speaking of tips, found the Cool Mini Or Not Ultimate Painting Guide (link removed for :filez: ). 400 pages of painting tips and practical guides that even total amateurs can get something out of, and seems to have some decent tips for veterans later on.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 6, 2009

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

hey guys guess what's in this briefcase

:aaaaa:

(p334 of that CMON book I just linked. godDAMN.)

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Curses, I thought I'd checked whether the Ultimate Painting Guide was considered :filez:, as searches I attempted only came up with the free download.

Anyway it is only $10 and is well worth it considering I just put down $100 for mans I don't even know how to paint properly yet.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
CRITICIZE ME BITCHES

I've been painting up Descent figurines lately, mostly as practice for when I will eventually be painting a Warmachine army that's coming in the post. I'm still very new to painting (I have now painted some 25 miniatures) but would like some feedback on what I've done so far.

Yes, I am aware of the moldlines.

The three models I am happiest with so far. Two sorcerers, one skeleton. Skeleton was done before I'd grasped the whole subtlety-with-washes thing.

Holy poo poo lookit those moldlines. How the hell do you get those out?

No-flash pic of the sorcerer's cloak. I did an orange basecoat, then heavy drybrushed the top with yellow and the bottom with red, applied Ogryn Flesh (orangest wash I had), drybrushed with orange then with Burnished Gold to give a shiny look. This was my second shot at blending, the first being the other sorcerer's cloak. Thoughts?

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 10, 2009

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Hey guys, what is the word on MICRON PENS?

I have been reading a few tutorials that refer to them but I haven't seen many people talk about them in the Warham thread or this one. They seem like an excellent way to get fine detail for things like eyes, banners, scrolls etc without the inaccuracy of a paintbrush.

Anyone have experience with them? Which colours are good? Does a thinned brown paint over micron-pen-drawn wood grain look decent?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Okay guys, I've been trying to paint a dude in armor (specifically, this bastard) and when painting his smooth armor with GW's foundation paints, it's coming out with a grainy texture instead of being smooth.

How do I fix this? Do I need to *gulp* thin my paints??

Also if anyone can recommend good colour schemes, let me know. I was going with mainly blue, yellow trim but I'm thinking mainly black/grey with red trim now.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

!amicable posted:

Yes, foundation paints can get clumpy if you paint straight from the pot. Which you shouldn't be doing anyway.

Thin your paints.

Any reason I shouldn't be painting straight from the pot? I tend to do this a lot, and want to work on my painting habits.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Can we oath non-Warhammer warmachine stuff in this thread? I'm scared of asking in the Warhammer thread about such things :ohdear:

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

PaintVagrant posted:

This thread is just for miniature painting/etc, there is no brand boundaries whatsoever

I am going to take this as permission!

By the end of November, I am going to paint one (1) Khador Field Gun Crew and one (1) Vladimir the Dark Prince!

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I quite like the ones you've got, and don't think they look all that Nurgle-y.

You could always fill in the holes with Green Stuff and have the horse be blind as well as the rider :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
So what's the best way to switch colours when drybrushing?

I've been drybrushing blue, and am done with that and switching to yellow, using the same brush. However, whenever I try to use the yellow, it starts off yellow but then turns green while I'm still getting rid of the excess paint. I've done this 5 or so times now, and it's still coming out the same shade of green, no matter how much I wash the brush or how much yellow I put in.

Should I wait for the brush to completely dry out and/or use a different brush for the time being? Is there something else I'm missing here?

• Locked thread