Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A few examples of my decidedly average fare.

From about three years ago, when I'd just got back into the hobby:

And from a year ago:

I should be adding a fair bit to my Death Guard in the next few months. More troops, some tanks, maybe even the Great Unclean One.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Most definately. Pretty much everything I paint has a wash somewhere on it now. My Plague Marines are drenched in Devlan Mud.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I like to wipe the brush along a bit of tissue to take off the excess when I'm using thin paints. You can see some of the paint that comes off, and a much larger area of moisture that would have caused the puddling.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Angryboot posted:

Newbie question time since I just finally picked up my first sm tactical squad box, what are these holes on the backpack for?

All other ones have either a vent hole thingy or a skull; my black templar upgrade pack has one with the chapter logo over it but there's no emblems or extra skulls on the tact squad sprues as far as I can tell. Any clues?

Those, you lucky lucky devil, are miscasts. They should either be flat there or have raised detail (skull or round vent). This isn't indicative of GW production quality by the way, in over a decade of buying stuff I've never seen miscasts that bad on a GW sprue.

Go to your local GW and ask for a replacement, or ring GW and describe them. You shouldn't have any problem either getting them exchanged (shop) or being sent a replacement sprue/box (phone).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My tank is shite !

To accompany my Plague Marines I need an Apocalypse unit, so a fat tank is in order.

My plan at the moment is to glue 60mm bases on either side and then use bits of sprue to create a frame for the vats. Coming down to about level with the bottom of the sponsons. Then I'll clad them with plasticard.
I intend to use the upside down base as a pool to fill with water effect stuff and Nurglings.. The rims for the peg holes will probably become bubbles.

I'm going to use a couple of spare Defiler CCW flail things to create piping to run out from the turret to about midway down the barrel of the main gun. I don't intend to give it the full peniscannon, but that might change.
I put the coaxial gun on before I decided to make it into a poo wagon, as the Reaper doesn't have one I'll try to make it look like it's knackered.

Other than that, I need to deface the various aquila, and the mechanicus shrines. Maybe use a pinvice to pit the armour. I'm also toying with the idea of putting a hole somewhere on the hull to make it look like the Baneblade was knocked out, captured, and recommisioned.
And of course, it'll have a Plague Marine in the commander's hatch.

For painting I'm going to do it much like the rhino I posted in gibbis a few days ago, catachan highlighted with camo, washed heavily with Devlan and then more rust than in a nun's nethers. And smoke/soot staining around the hatches from when it was knocked out.

I'd welcome any suggestions and feedback.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

bobvonunheil posted:

Hey guys, what is the word on MICRON PENS?

I have been reading a few tutorials that refer to them but I haven't seen many people talk about them in the Warham thread or this one. They seem like an excellent way to get fine detail for things like eyes, banners, scrolls etc without the inaccuracy of a paintbrush.

Anyone have experience with them? Which colours are good? Does a thinned brown paint over micron-pen-drawn wood grain look decent?

I use a black Sakura Pigma Micron 005 for all my iris, purity seal, and text-on-model needs. It is excellent. Give the paint plenty of time to dry solid (or risk gunking up the pen), allow plenty of time for the ink to dry (to avoid smearing), and then you can happily go over it with wash.

I'd say they are well worth the money even if it will only be for eyes. No idea about doing woodgrain though. I suppose if you could get the right shade ink to go with you paints it should work.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

moths posted:

I'd recommend practicing on a smaller tank if you haven't already done some massive conversion-work before. GW puts up sexy pictures of converted baneblades to lure gamers into ruining $100 tanks.

Well now where is the fun in that ?

Actually that is good advice. I'm going to approach this slowly with a lot of thought over the next few months. I've already revised my idea for the vats... I'm leaning towards a row of three 25mm drums behind each sponson feeding a 40mm mixing drum built into the stowage compartments at the rear of the turret, which in turn will feed into the cannon.

And I really need to get my hands on some used guitar strings for the piping.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, I've decided to use some conduit as the core of the vats. And I've just recieved some guitar strings through the post that look perfect for the scale.

I'll definately bear the stuff about damage being 'healed' in mind, cheers.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Well that makes you a heroman.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I definately want that chemical plant, I'm trying to track it down in the UK now.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Mixed in with a bunch of Catachans who would notice :shobon:

That's raaaaaacist.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That chemical plant set seems to be available under the Urban War brand as 'Biotoxin Plant' and I've ordered myself one.

Now I just need to resist the mad temptation to build the complete plant on top of the hull.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A soldier of 7 Platoon, G Coy., the 7th Regiment of Foot*, yesterday:

*Lost to the Emperor's Light following catastrophic moral failiure.

Ignore the mold lines, Pig Iron use some form of indestructitanium for their components and I undercoated them before getting decent files.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Well it's the lower body of a Defiler, but he's turned the arm sockets into braziers so iunno.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
GW Washes are perfect for that. Try either green or one of the browns.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You could get a proper spray booth, they're awesome for containing and removing the spray, but they're also expensive.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Haha, oh dear.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've been working on my fat tank using the biochem plant kit. This is all just a dry fit, which is why the tanks don't have all their valves etc on, and why it's only on one side.
I'm thinking that some piping coming off the back of the top tank leading over to an outflow into the mixing vats would look good.
The idea being that the external tanks feed the vats where the poo poo is mixed, then it's drawn inside the hull (through the baneblade's existing fuel intakes) to be taken up to the gun.

Feedback ?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cakefool posted:

Regarding Rapey Joes chemical tank, would clear water effects tinted with ink, with some skeleton/ghoul bits look as good as it does in my head?

For the open tanks at the rear I mean.

That's part of my plan. I'm not sure whether it'd be best to mix ink with the effect, or just paint the a false bottom and then pour water effects over the top though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cakefool posted:

Painting tank tracks: Brown basecoat, tinbitz then boltgun drybrushing?

Or has anyone got a better method?

Boltgun metal and then cover them in Mig Track Brown pigment, apply thinner and make sure the coverage is good. Then rub a pencil over the raised edges, then use fixer to lock it all down.

Gives you that particular brown that you see on the tracks of everything from tanks to JCBs.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really like those baneblades.

It looks like inbetween Nurgle bits I'm going to be painting quite a few Night Goblins, the problem is I suck at painting black cloth. My first thought was maybe use shadow grey as the highlight colour.
Any tips ?

Alternatively, would I be better off just starting with a dark grey and then badab washing ?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Getting those FW axes would almost certainly be a very bad idea. The handles will be extraordinarily easy to break, and probably warped to gently caress.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Colour theory makes my head hurt so I mostly only mix colours when I'm highlighting and there's no suitable colour already available to use.

Colour.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

crime fighting hog posted:

Just double checking, I'm about to airbrush on some boltgun, does thinning it 1:1 ratio enough or should I use more water?

Probably too late now, but I'd start a bit thick and spray onto some paper or something to test it, then add water as needed. But yeah, 1:1 seems like a good starting ratio for GW.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Airbrushes make basecoating a doddle. Just remember that to begin with you're going to spend most of your airbrushing time faffing about getting the hang of using/cleaning it, and don't get discouraged. You'll soon be ploughing through stuff.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zarkov Cortez posted:

You can try something like this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpmZHUmzWCA

Just ignore the product pushing :v:

The guy at the end of that video seems like such a massive pranny in every one of their videos.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fyrbrand posted:

Trying to figure out what to do for the trim on the bikes. I was originally thinking gold, but now I'm thinking black would be better, maybe save gold for the sergeant or just skip it altogether. Any opinions?

I'd do the trims in silver. I think it'll look better than black considering there are rivets in it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Quick first attempt at a nid scheme. I'm quite pleased but I definately need to make the green more transparent if I get around to doing a proper model (forgot I had glaze medium in my forest of paints).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. I have a lot of trouble motivating myself to get on with painting and positive feedback is the best encouragement.

PV: yeah I think so. I'd airbrush the basecoat, then shading is devlan mud all over followed by an overbrush (is that the right term ? It's drybrushing with a damp brush and not as much paint wiped off), and only then do I actually have to start being neat as I apply the black/green mix, purples and green. The carapace is pretty quick as well being quickly applied straight lines.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I meant to ask for suggestions on basing actually, I don't think my usual earth rim and bestial-up-to-bone sand will really work.

Edit: Maybe something closer to my CSM bases, scorched rims with industrial/urban grey bases.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 23, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Nice looking dragon.

While I wait for the FW Nurgle Prince to arrive I've been thinking about how to paint him. I'm inclined towards essentially making him a walking turd with a vat of infected, blood streaked, semen on his back, who goes around spraying AIDS into the faces of his enemies.

Have I gone wrong ?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
As I understand it gravity feed is generally regarded as the best.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They do indeed rock.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Aranan posted:

I've also heard pretty good things about colour shapers, but I've never used them myself.

They look like brushes with tips made from "an advanced rubber composite" that doesn't stick to green stuff nearly as much as metal tools do. They look interesting, but I've never sculpted or even worked with GS much at all, so I've never had any reason to pick them up.

I really like them. They're very good for smoothing GS or just pushing stuff about without tearing it or leaving marks as obvious as the usual metal tools do.

Still have to keep them wet though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Whoever it was who recommended FW artist ink white, you're a star. Really impressed with it so far. Two coats to cover a dark orangey yellow, no thinning and no chalking at all.

Chenghiz posted:

So I know that washes are sort of bad on vehicles (pooling) but my space wolves get their colour by using two successive washes. Is there a way I can get that same sort of shading on my rhinos? I seem to recall having read about using "filters" for shading somewhere but I don't recall the details.

On my last DG rhino I used a large flat brush, thinned the wash a bit, and was careful not to use too much at a time.

Edit: I too would like some ideas for interesting 40k basing (no huge rocks that overlap the base rim).

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 15, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Daler-Rowney FW Acrylic Artists Ink.

I think it was this thread, could have been any one of the others we have.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The consistency is about what you (well, I) would normally thin white to to avoid chalking. Milk-ish.

Fix posted:

:smug:

The black is pretty awesome, too, especially if you're going for a bit of a shiny look before you mute it with the dullcote. Then there's the pearlescent stuff, which can do some wicked weird things for metals when you wash over it.

Try the burnt umber for shiny mud. I've got like 6 or 7 different bottles of this stuff, some completely impractical.

I might pick up the umber and black... I hate painting black normally because it doesn't seem to thin down very well, and I fancy making some of those awesomepaintjob.com washes.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 15, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
PV, a couple of questions. A while back I recall you did some yellow marines complete with battle damage. What did you do to shade them, and how did you do the damage ?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ta muchly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sole.Sushi posted:

On the subject of Salamanders Sternguard...

Bonus pictures of Vulkan "fix."

I really like the models themselves, but my god I detest the giant-rock-over-lip style of basing. Basing should create and image framed by the rim !

• Locked thread