Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So, is the tales thread no more? Also, is this thread just for painted works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Regarding Rapey Joes chemical tank, would clear water effects tinted with ink, with some skeleton/ghoul bits look as good as it does in my head?

For the open tanks at the rear I mean.

Also, painting advise required for the scales on my Alpha legion tanks:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Better pic of the tank:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

So I can easily paint the insert before glueing it, I was wondering blue layered/highlighted up to green, or just green?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

enri posted:

If you do the latter, make sure the water effects is only a thin coat else you'll run into the possibility that it'll just look like vaguely clear liquid over a green base. Hope that makes sense :(

Maybe progressive layers of lesser tinted mixtures? Or do I not understand how this works? :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The original monk dude looks like he's standing in a ditch, vast improvement.

Also, orc skin, lovin' that there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Painting tank tracks: Brown basecoat, tinbitz then boltgun drybrushing?

Or has anyone got a better method?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Rare earth magnets own.

You do know that's the end of some dudes finger between those magnets, right?

Cthulu Carl posted:

Does anyone know of a way to make footprints in snow that doesn't involve lots of little feet cut out of paper or something?

Suggestions for garland or wreaths would be helpful too.

You need a foot-ona-stick, add the white scatter stuff & then tamp it down with your foot-ona-stick

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yog-Sothoth posted:

BANDWIDTH EXCEEDED

Sorry dude, photo's not visible.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Where can I find a good set of micro files?

Good: hardware store or GF9
Adequate: pound store

You can clean files with a toothbrush, if they're getting less effective.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I got done some bases for my SH->CSM termies, excuse the ridiculously small thumbnail, what do you think?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Beige stuff was from eBay, I didn't save the seller, which could be a problem as it's the best sized treadplate I've found so far.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wish I'd got some expanded mesh, it would have given a bit more depth. Maybe for the 30 csm troopers, I won't add any height to those though, just a little texture.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just ordered all the models I need to finish 1500pts of CSM. That should tide me over for 12-24 months or so with converting & painting everything, which is kinda lucky as with a kid on the way I'm not going to have any spending money for about 18 years :suicide:

2 Vindicators
A Defiler
20 CSM
10 SM tac squad

Ad-Mec Defiler & Vindicators, 30 non-chaos marines of various marks of armour on simpler bases, finish & paint the lot.

How do you goons with kids cope by the way?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'd have to make new ones with an eye to casting them, these are basically composed of voids & undercuts. I could knock out about 5 an hour this way if I didn't mind them being a little repetitive.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Do you want a bunch of bases or a few masters for casting? I've got nothing to do until my big order turns up so I could knock out a bunch of bases if needed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Combaticus posted:

Just found some in antenociti's workshop, I ordered a couple of sheets. I can let you know if it's any good if you want.

Dam that's half what I paid. Well, the more you know...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Feeple posted:

Five 30mm bases and even one 60mm one would be awesome! How much would you charge?

Well I'd have to buy some 30mm, I don't have any standing by. I'm in the UK for p&p, they could go large letter so 50p upwards. Say £5 + p&p? Do you have any particular models in mind for them? e.g. are perfectly flat bases a requirement?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Well I'd have to buy some 30mm, I don't have any standing by. I'm in the UK for p&p, they could go large letter so 50p upwards. Say £5 + p&p? Do you have any particular models in mind for them? e.g. are perfectly flat bases a requirement?

Feeple, I think this got lost at the end of the last page - still interested? Another Goon has got in touch so I was going to order some bases & get started.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

A bit late, but the ones you have now can be altered. All you have to do is put in caps to the empty spaces, something like green stuff or Apoxie Sculpt would work. My only concern with doing this is that it might ruin some of the effect of depth that the bases have.

I thought that might be a viable idea, I've no experience with casting however & was uncertain how deep an undercut I could get away with. A goon is paying me to make 32 bases and honestly I think I can knock the lot out pretty quickly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Please do, I was thinking of starting a thread on EoW but it would have been a "Tell me about..."
You should put these tutorials on the EoW Blog.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

enri posted:

One of these days I'll explode whilst priming then we'll see who's laughing :(

Mummy, why did daddy blow up?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Those loving stringy tab things.

I dunno, I've always considered these normal flash & had to clean them off loads of metal IG.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Would these work for stuff like Skinks, Saurus warriors, and Orks?

No these aren't compatible with Orcs or Orks. They recently released a patch so they'll work with Skinks, no word on compatibility with Saurus warriors though, wait for service pack 2 if I were you.

Yes for orc/ks, depending on length of arms you might want thicker/double for the others, I'm not sure.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Enri, have a look at this, see if it has what you need? If you just want resin I'd have a look here instead.

Also, :

gently caress yeah.
Actually, these are the first time I've bought multipart plastic mans for ages, I'm quite impressed, all over again. Also, the Defiler owns so hard but I'm going to see if I can turn it into a crouching knight titan sized device.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

A goon asked me to make them some bases like the ones I made for my terminators.
This is about half way through, there will be 30 x 30mm, 2 x 60mm. Loads of tiny rivets still needed.

Click here for the full blurry 800x553 image.

Some of these are better than mine :argh: I might go whole hog & do these bases for my 30 csm as well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you haven't already seen it, this warseer project log might interest you.

Indeed, that does interest me. Very much so.

enri posted:

I need whatever crazy tool it is that you've got to cut out perfectly formed circles :orks:

Ner ner ne ner ner.

I bought a circle cutter (like a slide/compass with blades) for like £5, but it twists & starts cutting spirals under 13mm radius. Any smaller than that a leather punch would be better.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 15, 2010

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Cakefool: Are those just standard platicard tubes or did you find a more economical way to get plastic tubes.

Plasticard. It's not bad if you do a fairly big order, plus I'm not actually using a lot of material for these. For example EMA models (UK plastruct) has 4.8mm O.D, 8 pack of 375mm long for £4.02 with Vat, that's 3m of plastic tube. Add some box, some girder & a second tube size & you're up to £15-18 for a similar amount of each. That'll last you a thousand conversion.

Also, any plastic scraps I can get my hands on, broken pens, propelling pencils, bits of broken stationary etc. The purple circle is a bit from a tipex-tape dispenser

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chenghiz posted:

Has anyone built meltagun barrels out of styrene tubing? I am looking at this plastruct site and I know I need 3/32" tubing for the outer part of the barrel but I can't figure out what the inner diameter is and if i'll be able to use 1/8" rod or not.

http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/OnlineCatalogDetail.lasso?GraphicKey=TBFS-3

Not sure what it is in old money but I just checked a plastic melta with my vernier & the outer barrel is 4.00mm, inner is 3.00mm, google tells me that's 5/32" & 15/128".

That's not that useful Google, but thanks anyway :psyduck:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chenghiz posted:

This is the best (and only) tutorial I've seen: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=35817&hl=rhino+doors

This is a very good tutorial. I didn't do the side doors on my rhinos but I'm tempted to do the upper doors as per this tutorial, just so I don't lose them.

I get my plasticard from EMA Models in the UK. Remember VAT is added at the checkout.

Enri, if you do get round to more casting, share your experience as well, I'm tempted to make the next set of bases fit for casting.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Combaticus posted:

Cakefool: is this the sort of compass cutter you've got? http://www.artifolk.co.uk/catalog/products/cutting_and_sticking/linex_compass_cutter_.htm

Also, looking at the close up of your base, the treadplate plasticard from Antenociti is the same as you've used.

That's better than mine. Mine has no built-in rule & the deeper horizontal arm section means that is less likely to distort & spiral in on smaller circles.
Antenociti treadplate is like 1/2 the price I paid for mine. I was struggling to find it at a reasonable price.

edit:VV next base idea generated. Loading STC subtemplate now...

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 16, 2010

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I put up more pics of my SH->CSM termies on EoW.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Some neat pieces on that site. I'm going to have to grab some of these for some custom conversions. See much orky potential there:

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/iron-brotherhood-ltru02-p-172.html

I... I don't know what to think of this though...
http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/discworld-miniatures-death-with-guitar-p-236.html

Or "Get off my lawn you drat kids!!!" the barbarian. Dual wielding a sword and cane
http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/discworld-miniatures-cohen-barbarian-p-237.html

The Iron Brotherhood are pretty much Mechanicus
Discworld owns. Cohen the Barbarian is a legend in his own, very long, lifetime & had a gang called the Silver Horde, the youngest of which, Boy Willie, was under 80.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Saddest Robot posted:

I started cutting out my Space Hulk Genestealers last night and now I feel compelled to ditch the sand/rocks base (original plan was to have thin rocks angled outwards to give the impression of a crater) and go with a space ship/hulk themed base. I don't think tech is done enough since it's so easy to paint rocks/ground. Plus the idea of a Trygon bursting through the floor of a space station is pretty priceless. I'm not really sure how I would go about doing it though. right now I'm thinking about bent I beams and bent tiles forming a ring around the Trygon. I'm not sure about that, though. If he burst up out of the floor he wouldn't be sitting in the hole, since the hole would have to be big enough and deep enough to accommodate him. But I do want to give some impression that this is what the Trygon did. Any ideas or suggestions?

Trygon has a tail right? Have a large access hatch thrown back & edges torn apart, majority of trygon through the hatch, tail wrapped around a large beam/column. Build the base up about 25mm in depth.

Alternatively, where are you, what base size, I'll make you one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Saddest Robot posted:

I'm in the Seattle area. Trygon wrapped around a beam or column tilted at an angle could work. I might work up some sketches.

I'm in the UK area, so good luck with this unless you like international postage :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jees you're all whiney little babies. I used to make money assembling killakans for kids. The trick was to use a sheet of 120 grit sandpaper taped to a workbench as a flattening surface, then take a hammer to the fucker after that. Superglue & GS to bond, bish bash bosh 1/2 hour each.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Too close & the primer goes on too thick, too far away & it basically dries before it hits the model.

Also, Vallejo primer, shake for 24 hours before use.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

dpack_1 posted:

The only sensible answer here is to move the gently caress out of Manchester.

Word.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

After I dropped my car off for its MOT yesterday I spent the next hour and a half browsing my local brilliant model store & talking with the owner. He's got a bit of a giant truck fetish (1/10, 1/12 scale) but he's a really nice guy. If he dropped the price of his GW stuff 10-15% he'd be golden, currently its retail price.

Anyway, he showed me this tank kit someone commissioned him to make.

A 1/6 Sturmtiger.

It has 166 sprues.

It has 5 parts to each track link.

It has a fully detailed engine & gearbox, meaning moving internals.

Retail? £865. gently caress knows how much he's charging to build it.

edit: just checked, that'll make the finished model over 1m long :psyduck:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 30, 2010

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

32 tech bases, ready to be boxed up & sent off to some lucky goon. If I make any more of these it'll be to cast, gently caress hand building squillions of unique bases again. :suicide:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

did someone buy them or are you selling em?

They were a commission for a goon in this very thread!

Sole.Sushi posted:

Those things look sweet as sugar, dude.
If you are interested in making casts of some new ones, let me know. I can give you a hand with that, if you need it.

Cool, whereabouts are you? I'll want to make 25, 40, 60mm versions, others if requested. I know PV would like some for Infinity, what base size is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's amazing, I gagged a little.

Furret Basket posted:

I am the goon ITT. You should all totally buy some bases from Cakefool, they're amazing and I can't wait to receive them!

Thank you Cakefool. :3:

You haven't received them/got buyers remorse yet :v:

Yeah, I'll look into casting a bunch, bases can be done with a simple 1 sided pour mould right? Onto google I go.

• Locked thread